• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best 1911's - Top Tier - Looking for recommendations

Before I spent a ton of money on a Nighthawk, I think I'd go speak to a custom builder (Greg Derr?). Discuss with him exactly what you are looking for and what he can do for you.

I was just going to say this as well. Get a Caspian frame and slide as a base and build it to your exact specifications. Greg does awesome work.

I ask because reliability seems to be high up on fencer’s list of concerns. I never got much past the $2k mark on my one 1911 adventure (a colt that had been upgraded and worked over by a very reputable smith), but that didn’t run reliably and it turned me off to the whole platform. For $4k I would be pretty upset with any FTF or FTE nonsense.
My friends bad experiences with $3k and $4k handguns is what turned me off to spending that kind of cash on my retirement gun. And fwiw......my buddies were beyond furious at the unreliability of those high dollar pistols.

For $950 I got a fantastically reliable, accurate, and nice looking handgun.

My friends bad experiences with $3k and $4k handguns is what turned me off to spending that kind of cash on my retirement gun. And fwiw......my buddies were beyond furious at the unreliability of those high dollar pistols.

Curious what did 950 get you?

Curious what did 950 get you?
Sig 1911 tacops edition. Comes with good night sights and a rail. I'm more than happy with the purchase......had it 3 years now. I shoot it weekly.....minimum 50 rounds a week.....Summer I shoot plates with it Tuesday nights and put a couple hundred through it a week. Like I said in a previous post it's had exactly one hiccup on a reload I didn't crimp and it failed to chamber. Photo of it is my avatar

I ask because reliability seems to be high up on fencer’s list of concerns. I never got much past the $2k mark on my one 1911 adventure (a colt that had been upgraded and worked over by a very reputable smith), but that didn’t run reliably and it turned me off to the whole platform. For $4k I would be pretty upset with any FTF or FTE nonsense.

My Randall is VERY sensitive to magazines, I know that much. It's its only flaw. I found three that worked perfectly with it, and I have no qualms about carrying it. But it's not like I can just grab any ol' 1911 mag off the ground and be confident it'll shoot.

Cheaper 1911s are spec'ed looser, so they can do that. That's the irony of high-end 1911s, in my experience. Tightening them up makes them a little more sensitive to the variables in the system.

My Randall is VERY sensitive to magazines, I know that much. It's its only flaw. I found three that worked perfectly with it, and I have no qualms about carrying it. But it's not like I can just grab any ol' 1911 mag off the ground and be confident it'll shoot.

Cheaper 1911s are spec'ed looser, so they can do that. That's the irony of high-end 1911s, in my experience. Tightening them up makes them a little more sensitive to the variables in the system.
This is why I chose a mid price range 1911 for my retirement gun. I didn't want the hassle that comes with owning tighter tolerance but more accurate 1911s. 8 ring or better at 50 feet on a nra bullseye target is way more than I'll ever need for accuracy lol

I have a NHC Bob Marvel commander custom made and a Wilson Combat railed LW professional.
the Bob Marvel is stunning and paired well with the Vilkmann I have but it is a safe queen. Ther is a fair bit of sight to the BOB Marvel. The Wilson Combat is my carry weapon. I alternate the WC with an Ed Brown. As I carry that sometimes as well. I carry different carry guns depending on where I am going.

BTW, I have had Greg Derr tweak a Colt rail gun for me…no regrets there either.

Another vote for Greg Derr. The sky is the limit on what you can do, but I started with a Colt Combat Elite Model O and brought it to Greg to take it to the next level. It was already a great gun but now its just a thing of beauty that performs ridiculously well. Greg is an artist and one of the best shooters I’ve ever met.

View: https://i.imgur.com/rpld8Bm.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/kYX4aqz.jpg

I'm no 1911 snob, and brand loyal to nothing. I've shot a buddies Wilson 4" 1911 in 38 super , up close they are oustanding workmanship quality. As for accuracy and shootability, very smooth shooter, i'll give it high props for this, and accuracy was no better or worse than my Springfield RO or my Kimber Target II. Did it feel 3X the cost better than my SA RO ? Not at all. A $3K+ Wilson is not going to make me shoot better. (strictly just my opinion)

I'm no 1911 snob, and brand loyal to nothing. I've shot a buddies Wilson 4" 1911 in 38 super , up close they are oustanding workmanship quality. As for accuracy and shootability, very smooth shooter, i'll give it high props for this, and accuracy was no better or worse than my Springfield RO or my Kimber Target II. Did it feel 3X the cost better than my SA RO ? Not at all. A $3K+ Wilson is not going to make me shoot better. (strictly just my opinion)
Love my compact RO Elite. That Black T finish is nice too.

Dan Wessons are popular in the shootings sports, where reliability is importent and higher round counts are common.

I know you don,t want stainless but ED Browns are sharp looking in stainless!!

Greg Derr and Lou Business end custom are local with great reps and are local for any teething issues and your dealing with a live person

Before I spent a ton of money on a Nighthawk, I think I'd go speak to a custom builder (Greg Derr?). Discuss with him exactly what you are looking for and what he can do for you.
This was certainly one of my considerations. Like many of us, one of my favorite experiences on NES is when Greg starts a new thread and drooling over his latest creation.
As others have suggested, I will reach out to Greg Derr, but will be honest and say the price tag of a custom build scares me a little.
But I guess you never know until you ask.

Wilson is semi custom and runs a production line where their “gunsmiths” so the same job over and over, like fitting the trigger.

Nighthawk was formed because the real Wilson gunsmiths were pissed when they changed from custom to semi custom so they left and formed their own company in the same town.

I sell both and Nighthawks are objectively nicer guns. The wait for a new Nighthawk is over a year. New Wilson’s are a lot shorter wait (I am direct from factory dealer for both).

Personally I would go nighthawk over Wilson.
Great insight and awesome advice. Thank you.

Dave Santurri Santurri, Ltd. makes some really nice 1911's.
I have a Colt Competition that he worked on and I have to agree with you that he knows what he is doing. He did a "reliability service" and replaced the extractor and fiber optic sights and a few other minor tweeks. I am here to tell you, it is drop dead reliable. It has never failed and has eaten everything I have ever put down the pipe from ball to carry ammo. It is also very accurate and everybody that has ever shot it comments on it.

I would be pissed too‼️‼️

I guess I'll bring u the elephant in the room. What's the budget you have in mind? Not that it won't go right out the window once you have your heart set on something 😆

Sorry in advance for minor thread drift, but since the 1911 folks are here, how often are you replacing recoil springs?
1911s seem more sensitive to upkeep than new fangled guns.

I guess I'll bring u the elephant in the room. What's the budget you have in mind? Not that it won't go right out the window once you have your heart set on something 😆
Well, it's funny you should mention that... I started down this road thinking about $3k. Then I was looking at the NHC Talon and thinking $4k was a stretch but doable.

And that is what scares me the most. I really don't want to regret buying this 1911.

Back
Top Bottom