• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Berrys Plated .38+/+P load?

NH-GP100

NES Member
Ok, so here the deal:

Dad has a sweet reloading setup (he has bought all the stuff, I have built/assembled all the pieces, bench, etc). Sadly this is all in the middle of "Occupied Territory" and several hundred miles away. I head out every few months and do the good son thing (HunnyDo's for mom, swap out the mower deck / snow blower on the tractor, open/close the pool, etc) and, of course, make ammo.

So far I have done a couple thousand rounds of CAS .38 loads (158g LRN over 4.1g Trail Boss and small pistol primers) on the 550b, which is set up for him to crank them out endlessly, so all I have to do is use my own primers and powder, no adjustments needed. This makes dad happy as he hates to make changes to that and only has one tool head setup. This setup seems to give a slight crimp (see attached crappy cell image).

I have also done a number of .357 loads on one of the single-stage presses. For those, so far all I have used is H110 and CCI 550 SPM primers. These are mostly near-full house loads with a heavy crimp.

I currently have in my possession:
1 box each of 110g and 125g JHPs (I have been loading heavier stuff and held off on these)
1 250 ct box of Berrys 158g RNs.
1 Bottle Trail Boss
1 Bottle A2400
500 CCI 550 SPM
1 metric azzload of .38+p range brass
~500 .357 brass, about 1/2 once or twice fired Fiocchi, the rest range brass

And the gun is, of course, my 6" GP-100, sometimes known as "The Tank"

What I was hoping to do was use the Berrys for some kind of 38+p load - something with more punch than the .38 CAS loads, but not the monster .357 loads I have. Basicly an intermediate load.

The .38 CAS loads are super soft shooters in the GP. They have about as much recoil and muzzle rise as my Single-Six with the .22 mags. They are great plinking loads and starter loads for new shooters as we work our way through various guns. Even the .357 factory loads are a big jump up from them, and the thought of actually purchasing .38sp/+p loads makes my New England Old Guy skin crawl.

I know the Berrys have to stay below 1200fps and not have a real heavy crimp, so I was thinking I could just boost the charge on the TB and/or use SPM primers to "get there" - or at least get somewhere between "Mousefart" and "Artillery Fire".

Sadly, I don't have any useful load data for the Berrys (nor, it seems, does anyone else). I see .38 data for TB puts the max charge at 4.2gr - I am at 4.1 now and the case looks pretty full. I suppose I could just go to 4.2 and use an SPM primer. I can't see it going past 1200fps and there is no way in hell I will blow the gun up, *BUT*, I really don't think it is going to be all that big of a change vs the CAS loads, especially since pushing the plateds down the pipe takes more force than lead.

I would like to do the Berrys on the progressive setup since I will not have a huge amount of time. I don't mind having to get the powder fill dialed back in, but I really don't want to mess with anything else on it if I can avoid it. I also plan on running of another 500 CAS loads 'cuz that ammo can is less than 1/2 full, and, well, when was the last time *YOU* looked at your stash and said "I have to much ammo"?

I also plan on loading some .357 on the single-stage as well, but I think I know what I want to do there already.

So, input? From what I have read the A2400 is a good choice for the .357 loads, .38 loads not so much. TB I may not be able to charge as much as I want. Should I look at something like Power Pistol or HS-6 or H4227 (if I can get them...), how about W231? I do plan on picking up some SPP primers as well (CCI-500) since I need them for the CAS loads. May as well get a brick of them I guess.

20140104_224941.jpg

Last edited:
You don't want to push plated bullets past their stated speed. The plating is thin and I believe it will just tear off going down the pipe, which I can't imagine would do much for accuracy. I'd guess the bullet would just tumble wildly upon exit.

So, input? From what I have read the A2400 is a good choice for the .357 loads, .38 loads not so much. TB I may not be able to charge as much as I want. Should I look at something like Power Pistol or HS-6 or H4227 (if I can get them...), how about W231? I do plan on picking up some SPP primers as well (CCI-500) since I need them for the CAS loads. May as well get a brick of them I guess.

You're right about 2400 being unsuitable (too slow) for .38 Special, and Trailboss isn't dense enough to allow you to get to +P velocity (a magnum primer won't make much difference). Almost any fast-ish burning powder will get you to +P with a 158gr bullet - including the ones you mentioned above except 4227, which is too slow.

You can also use Bullseye, Unique, 700-X, AA5, HP38 (same as 231), and others.

You don't want to push plated bullets past their stated speed. The plating is thin and I believe it will just tear off going down the pipe, which I can't imagine would do much for accuracy. I'd guess the bullet would just tumble wildly upon exit.

This won't be a problem as he'll get nowhere near 1200 FPS with a 158 gr bullet in .38 Special.

EddieCoyle hit the nail on the head. Clays, N320, Titegroup, Bullseye, those will get you in the +P range.

Trailboss is not really good for +P, especially with Berry's. As stated, the copper plated bullet offers too much resistance. I've experimented with Trailboss and carefully exceeded the maximum. Even at 4.5 or 4.6 you're still looking at a pretty slow bullet. You can't really fit any more powder in there without compressing the charge, which is supposedly a big no-no. Power Pistol is hard to find but that would be a good choice. I don't use it personally but a friend of mine uses it and there are some very consistent results over a chronograph with Berry's. There is some flash from the powder but I don't really think it's too distracting, unless you're shooting in the dark, indoors.

Thanks guys. Looks like I will be trying to hunt down another powder...

Anyone have any experience with (or even seen yet) the CFE Pistol? Seems like an ideal option for plated bullets...

I like 2400 for 357 and bullseye and W231 for 38. But, I love Unique for both. If I could have only one powder for 38, 357 and 45acp it would be Unique.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We (well, dad, but you know...) have a 4 pound jug of w231 still unopened, so I am thinking I will go that way. SPP or SPM prefered with that powder? I haven't looked at the load tables yet for it as I just kinda threw it out there. Anyone have a prefered load?

Same on the A2400 - Anyone have a prefered .357 load for 110 and 125gr bullets and that? This will be the first time I have worked with these powders and bullets. I am not really enthusiastic about loading either of them, esp the 110's due to potential issues around flame cutting on the top strap, so if I can find some more 140+ gr stuff before then I will be loading them instead.

(I am on a "work run" and mostly only have time to work, shower, eat and sleep until Thursday PM - but then have 7 off - woohoo!)

Anybody have any comments on the crimp pic I posted? Too much for plated? Too crappy a pic to be usable?

Back
Top Bottom