• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Berger Competition Bullets- not consistent!

Mountain

NES Member
When loading up some Berger 80.5's for my .223 service rifle I found the OAL's measured to the lands (Compass Lake chamber, Krieger barrel) to be all over the map- over .010" different from bullet to bullet. Of course similar result after seating the bullets into the case. I see a little variation from SMK's and almost none with Nosler CC's. The SMK's and Noslers both perform better than I can. Have not yet shot the Bergers but may get to the range tomorrow.

I was thinking Bergers were supposed to be one of the best, but I find the variation in bullet shape / length concerning. Anyone else use Bergers? What has been your experience with them? I need to go back and weigh a few of these too- hopefully the variance doesn't carry over to the weight as well. I loaded a couple different lengths to test for accuracy but am avoiding bringing these too close to the lands due to this issue.

Putting this in the Competition forum rather than general reloading to hopefully filter responses to those who know the intended purpose of the loads.

bergers shoot more X's (ive run most all of em...Sierras shoot equally well but my X counts went up with berger), Noslers have a bit more inconsistencies, and hornadys are all over the place

you using a comparator and measuring the loaded rounds? if the variables are there, you need to take a serious look at your seating die. or are you measuring bullets for bearing surface length? (a waste of time for 600yds, IMHO, but I do sort them for 1000yd+)

When loading up some Berger 80.5's for my .223 service rifle I found the OAL's measured to the lands (Compass Lake chamber, Krieger barrel) to be all over the map- over .010" different from bullet to bullet. Of course similar result after seating the bullets into the case. I see a little variation from SMK's and almost none with Nosler CC's. The SMK's and Noslers both perform better than I can. Have not yet shot the Bergers but may get to the range tomorrow.

I was thinking Bergers were supposed to be one of the best, but I find the variation in bullet shape / length concerning. Anyone else use Bergers? What has been your experience with them? I need to go back and weigh a few of these too- hopefully the variance doesn't carry over to the weight as well. I loaded a couple different lengths to test for accuracy but am avoiding bringing these too close to the lands due to this issue.

Putting this in the Competition forum rather than general reloading to hopefully filter responses to those who know the intended purpose of the loads.

Edited, misunderstanding on my part.

Bergers are supposed to be worth the price. That's all I've heard from people.

How are you measuring things?

Last edited:
Nice to hear from Jasper that he had good results. I need to shoot my test rounds but opted to stay home today- very gusty hereabouts.

Josh2600, I'm measuring basically off the ogive. I use a case gauge to determine at what OAL the bullet will hit the lands in my chamber. When checking several bullets, with other brands the OAL at the point of hitting the lands was more consistent. Also my seating die indexes from a point a little above the ogive but again, more consistent OAL's from other brands of match bullets. Somehow the shape and/or dimension of the Bergers must be varying so that once the gauge or seating die hits the corresponding diameter, the resulting length isn't always the same.

I realize there are some other small variables in play and that my die set isn't high end, but with careful loads I can reach below .25 MOA off the bench and am almost always below .5 MOA when using pet loads off the bench. I have used proper benchrest dies and equipment courtesy of a friend, along with very well prepped brass (necks turned etc.) with better but similar results to my plain Jane set up. My normal loads are Norma or Lapua brass, sometimes Winchester; Nosler 77's or sometimes SMK's; and Benchmark powder. I'll use BR primers when shooting for accuracy off the bench.

Maybe Tuesday I'll head to the range and then post how they do. I'll shut up if the groups are good. [grin]

Last edited:
Nice to hear from Jasper that he had good results. I need to shoot my test rounds but opted to stay home today- very gusty hereabouts.

Josh2600, I'm measuring basically off the ogive. I use a case gauge to determine at what OAL the bullet will hit the lands in my chamber. When checking several bullets, with other brands the OAL at the point of hitting the lands was more consistent. Also my seating die indexes from a point a little above the ogive but again, more consistent OAL's from other brands of match bullets. Somehow the shape and/or dimension of the Bergers must be varying so that once the gauge or seating die hits the corresponding diameter, the resulting length isn't always the same.

I realize there are some other small variables in play and that my die set isn't high end, but with careful loads I can reach below .25 MOA off the bench and am almost always below .5 MOA when using pet loads off the bench. I have used proper benchrest dies and equipment courtesy of a friend, along with very well prepped brass (necks turned etc.) with better but similar results to my plain Jane set up. My normal loads are Norma or Lapua brass, sometimes Winchester; Nosler 77's or sometimes SMK's; and Benchmark powder. I'll use BR primers when shooting for accuracy off the bench.

Maybe Tuesday I'll head to the range and then post how they do. I'll shut up if the groups are good. [grin]

I just measured about 10 6.5mm 140 gr berger hybrids using a hornady comparator from the ogive to the base of the bullet and they were pretty dead nuts. within .002 and most were the same. Measuring from base to tip, of course, it will sway like .010

So I dunno, maybe you have a bad batch?

Shot some of the Bergers today, loaded up w/ Benchmark. I only have a 100 yard range at my home club, so as expected I did not see much of a difference between the Bergers, my usual loads w/ Nosler 77's, and some Norma Match 77 factory ammo. All groups not my best, but it was gusty enough to be blowing my gear around. Anyway, Bergers ran fine.

Back
Top Bottom