• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bergdahl A Free Man

He'll be a leader in Antifa, all over CNN doing paid interviews and probably get an honorable degree or whatever they call it at Harvard.

He'll be a leader in Antifa, all over CNN doing paid interviews and probably get an honorable degree or whatever they call it at Harvard.

He'll probably run for some democrat senatorial seat....and just might win it given the ignorance of the sheeple and the tenacity of the left.

I don’t know. I’m not sure he’s the type. This guy is a symbol, a figurehead for others, not a leader on his own account. If his mental issues are as bad as I’m hearing, he won’t be a real problem.

Antifa is like ISIS, anyway. Good short-term intensity, but no staying power for the long haul.

I don’t know. I’m not sure he’s the type. This guy is a symbol, a figurehead for others, not a leader on his own account. If his mental issues are as bad as I’m hearing, he won’t be a real problem.

Antifa is like ISIS, anyway. Good short-term intensity, but no staying power for the long haul.

I agree I don't think we'll see him out in front of the charge swinging a sock with a padlock in it, but they'll use him somehow and he'll start talking smack about the US Mil and how badly they treated him, he already came out just a week or so ago and said that AQ is more trustworthy than the .mil.

letter written by Bergdhal prior to his desertion

"mom, dad
The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting. [...] [Three good sergeants had been forced to move to another company] [...] and one of the biggest shit bags is being put in charge of the team. [...] [My battalion commander was] a conceited old fool. [...] In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing shit bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools. ... The US army is the biggest joke the world has to laugh at. It is the army of liars, backstabbers, fools, and bullies. The few good SGTs are getting out as soon as they can, [...] I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live... We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them [...] I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting. There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them.[SUP]:4"

A few of us old timers here served the 25th INF Division in the 'Rice Bowl' during some very rough times. I saw plenty of stupid, but the ordinary 'dogface' simply doing his job was an awe and honor to behold. To turn your back on their sacrifice (WWII Korea Vietnam) and offer aid and comfort to the enemy makes me ill.

Obama traded 5 'Git-Mo' terrorists for this sorry excuse of a man.

"Mentally troubled man syndrome don't fly in my book"....

[/SUP]

Sounds like a typical, whiny, disgruntled, can't get along Private (which is what he was when he deserted his post. Drives me bonkers seeing him in that uniform still and with Sgt stripes on) who knows more than everybody else above him with his all of 6-12 months or service.

Much like a teenager who knows more than his parents and doesn't want to follow the rules of the house.

Where was the trial held? California?? I'm disgusted...he walks and the soldier who got shot in the head gets a life sentence....

That Judge's next orders may be cleaning toilets with a toothbrush. How does his chain of command work?

That Judge's next orders may be cleaning toilets with a toothbrush. How does his chain of command work?

Not the way you apparently want it to.

If his conduct of the trial falls within UCMJ, he’s good. With bonus points if this doesn’t get overturned on appeal, which is a valid concern whether you think so or not.

Remember, non-veterans: UCMJ is NOT run by judges. It’s a COMMANDER’S system. It’s the decision of the GCM’s convening authority, not of the judge, that ultimately matters.

No words. This is not the same country it was when I went in (1990). What a disgrace. I saw guys get more punishment for harmless bs. I was already concerned for our collective (America) future. This shows me that the cancer is much more progressed than I thought.

No words. This is not the same country it was when I went in (1990). What a disgrace. I saw guys get more punishment for harmless bs. I was already concerned for our collective (America) future. This shows me that the cancer is much more progressed than I thought.

Not sure. I served seven years and saw LOTS of UCMJ dealt out, even dealt some myself. Saw a lot of offenses, up to and including rape, murder, and attempted murder. Never once did I see a dishonorable discharge handed out.

I too hoped for confinement, but he was never going to get maxed out given his captivity, his cooperation, and his possible mental issues. I’m not privy to the details of the testimony either, and none of us knows what the lawyers discussed with the judge.

But again, if you’re displeased with the sentence, it’s like everything else in the military: ultimately, it’s the commander’s fault.

Not sure. I served seven years and saw LOTS of UCMJ dealt out, even dealt some myself. Saw a lot of offenses, up to and including rape, murder, and attempted murder. Never once did I see a dishonorable discharge handed out.

I too hoped for confinement, but he was never going to get maxed out given his captivity, his cooperation, and his possible mental issues. I’m not privy to the details of the testimony either, and none of us knows what the lawyers discussed with the judge.

But again, if you’re displeased with the sentence, it’s like everything else in the military: ultimately, it’s the commander’s fault.

It is amazing that with rape and murder, there were not dishonorable discharges. A high school buddy went in the Navy, and went awol, not in a time of war, and was dishonorably discharged for that. No rape or attempted murder

I think you nailed it on the head. I'm a bit upset, but not surprised. At the end of the day, I happen to believe that this dude was mentally ill, his recruiters ****ed him and the army, and this is what you get. Where on the spectrum from weird to full blown mental illness he falls, I don't know.

Mike

He never should have been there in the first place. But the people who sent him there carry on.

Just as the Admirals who reduced staffing on combat vessels will never be tried after those ships have collisions caused by crew fatigue and insufficient training.

With a DD he loses VA medical benefits.

It is amazing that with rape and murder, there were not dishonorable discharges. A high school buddy went in the Navy, and went awol, not in a time of war, and was dishonorably discharged for that. No rape or attempted murder

I was being slightly sneaky. The rapist-murderer didn’t get a DD because he’s technically never going to get any kind of discharge; he’s serving a life sentence in a system where that actually means a life sentence. So technically he’ll be an E1 until he dies.

But the attempted murderer? That was a Big Chicken Dinner.

Can I ask when your buddy got his DD? A DD can ONLY be given by a GCM, and I can’t imagine a simple AWOL case getting that far. I Article 15ed an E5 once for going AWOL in conjunction with a missed movement for a training deployment; he lost two stripes and I maxed out his extra duty and pay deductions, though I commuted his confinement. This was in 1998 or 99, and it never got above the battalion level.

He ended up as a first sergeant somewhere.

So the retard judge feels the need to blame his cowardly verdict on Trump! And his defenses lawyer is actually going to appeal. The Judge and defense lawyer need to shipped out to some real shithole duty station......So we trade 5 Omar's and several solders maimed for life and this guy skates!

So the retard judge feels the need to blame his cowardly verdict on Trump! And his defenses lawyer is actually going to appeal. The Judge and defense lawyer need to shipped out to some real shithole duty station......So we trade 5 Omar's and several solders maimed for life and this guy skates!

Been a while since I've had my nose in the Big Red Book of Bad News (thankfully), but I believe a DD, maybe even any GCM sentence, involves an automatic appeal. Could be wrong. I make NO effort to remember too much of the MCM. Any time that book hits my desk the entire week is ****ed at minimum.

Is it even remotely possible that his desertion was an intel hunt that went awry? Other than that, I have no idea why he's walking.

Is it even remotely possible that his desertion was an intel hunt that went awry? Other than that, I have no idea why he's walking.

Because of his captivity, his cooperation, and his possible mental issues. Also to avoid appeal.

Whether the Trumpettes want to admit it or not, The Don’s comments were not helpful to the prosecution, in terms of getting an appeal-proof sentence. He’d have been better advised to keep his mouth shut and let the case play out. Command influence is ALWAYS an issue in UCMJ appeals.

Because of his captivity, his cooperation, and his possible mental issues. Also to avoid appeal.

Whether the Trumpettes want to admit it or not, The Don’s comments were not helpful to the prosecution, in terms of getting an appeal-proof sentence. He’d have been better advised to keep his mouth shut and let the case play out. Command influence is ALWAYS an issue in UCMJ appeals.

The judge explicitly said in earlier comments that it did NOT rise to the level of Unlawful Command Influence.

The judge explicitly said in earlier comments that it did NOT rise to the level of Unlawful Command Influence.

Come on.

He’s an AD JAG O-6. What else is he going to say in a public comment?

The appellate judges wouldn’t just look at that comment, shrug, and say “sure thing, colonel! We believe you!”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom