• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta Sucks!

I've been reading the current (Nov 2006) issue of GUNS & WEAPONS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT.

There's a review of the Beretta Px4 pistol in it written by a Charlie Cutshaw.

Everything was fine until I got to this part of the article:

The Px4's claim to it's name is the four different operating systems, which can be fitted into any Px4. In alphabetical order, the four systems are as follows: Type C (Constant Action) version is double-action-only with short trigger travel and a lighter trigger pull than the other DAOs; Type D (double-action-only) with no external safety lever; Type F (double/single action) with external safety lever/decocker; and Type G (double/single action) with decocker. As of the time of this writing, only Type F is available for commercial sale. Beretta has informed us that there is no legal restrictions on the other action types; the restriction is simply a matter of corporate policy.

Assuming that the author got his info right, and this isn't some misunderstnding or miscommunication, it's a really STUPID policy from a commercial point of view. **I** won't buy a double/single action, and there are a lot of others who feel that way also, I'm sure.

More importantly, Beretta has basicly declared than non LEOs like myself are, as far as they're concerned, second-class citizens.

Well, f*** em if that's really they're attitude. **I** won't buy ANYTHING from a company that treats me like that.

Regards
John

This doesn't sound like a big deal to me. There are plenty of good pistols to buy until what you want is in the distribution stream. Don't see where it says they won't be available.

Sorta like something being issued with a six inch barrel first, to be followed by a 4" later?

Am I seeing this wrong?

I think I see where the PARANOID part of your handle comes from!!! You seem to think they are doing it just to YOU! Does it really matter? Were you or anyone else going to rush right out and get this gun?

The last Beretta I bought was in 1983, and I haven't seen one since that I wanted anyway.

Last edited:
This doesn't sound like a big deal to me. There are plenty of good pistols to buy until what you want is in the distribution stream. Don't see where it says they won't be available.

Sorta like something being issued with a six inch barrel first, to be followed by a 4" later?

Am I seeing this wrong?

I dunno. For me, it's a question of respect. Do you routinely eat in restraunts where they treat you like dirt and act like they're doing you a favor by taking your money?

If Beretta feels we're only worthy of buying the guns the police are no longer interested in buying, then they can keep their guns and I'll buy guns from a company that really wants my business and is willing to treat me with respect.

Regards
John

Why get worked up over this?

If the Px4 didn't come with the FCG of my choosing, I'd buy someone else's pistols.

That's not going to stop me from buying the most excellent Beretta shotguns or Sako and Tikka rifles.

The hard, cold economics of the market:

If you're a manufacturer, you only have a certain production capacity.
Introducing a new product has relatively big start-up costs.
In order to stay in business, you want to cover those costs as soon as possible.
Big orders from particular clients can do that better than small individual orders.
Filling those big orders may limit early availability to individual customers for some time.

Reality -- it's only optional for liberals.

Ken

I could be wrong, but I have a different take than optimistic paranoid. Many LEO's are restricted to only DAO autos, either to minimize training or fear of civil lawsuits. I feel privileged in not having this restriction. If Beretta doesn't want to sell DAO's to the public, there are other options, SIG, etc. Personally, I would never buy one, A big purpose of the SA auto to begin with is the advantage of the lighter trigger pull.

I myself don't have any Beretta handguns but the shotgun I purchased, Xtrema2, is awesome and in 2 different occassions I have spoken with a CRS they have made every effort to make me happy and help me along.

So in my mind Beretta is a good company.. excluding anything to do about their new model handguns which I have not had experience with.

It seems to me that they are saving the best system for the civilian market. Why would you want a DAO anyway? I don't think it's a lack of respect or treating you as a second class citizen; it's that the DAO is cop proof (since many cops are not gun people), and the economic realities that most citizens prefer the traditional DA/SA system, so they are going to produce more of those than anything else. I would be willing to bet that the only reason they are producing the other versions in the first place is to satisfy some police dept. SOP. Personally, I don't care for Beretta designs anyway, but I think you are over reacting to their decision.

Back
Top Bottom