• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta Revolver

At least they didn’t put pic rails all over it like the last Korth I saw.

lol, the Mongoose has no rails on it. The other Korth that is "MA compliant" has all those rails and crap on it, and they were able to get it on the target roster or something.

So is this a Manurhin 73 or a Beretta? Is Beretta just the importer? I’ll take one in any case.

You'd think the French/Italians would have come up with a more elegant grip screw.

So is this a Manurhin 73 or a Beretta? Is Beretta just the importer? I’ll take one in any case.
Beretta appears to be the importer.

Meh.

It's a revolver. That's a mechanism that's been perfected for a hundred years. And the used market is awash with examples that'll fire every bit as well as that one, at 90% less.

Not interested.

MR73 has been a Manurhin product ever since it came out. Manurhin was at one time a subsidiary of the French company Chapuis Armes, but is now a Beretta subsidiary, like Tikka and Sako.

Pricing is because it's a rebranded Manhurin. French police/military pistol.

Nice weapons, not exactly a "Beretta" though. Just under their umbrella now.

They command a decent price on the used market and have been imported by various companies over the years. Wonder what this'll do to the pricing.

It's a revolver. That's a mechanism that's been perfected for a hundred years. And the used market is awash with examples that'll fire every bit as well as that one, at 90% less.

Lol, no it's not, if any of the doodoo churned out by S&W or Ruger is any indication.

I get it, the value prop is bad. That I'll agree on. You could buy a couple of smith PC guns, have the locks removed and the guns professionally unf***ed for what one of these costs. Outside of that though? You're trying to argue a Timex is as good as a Rolex. Anyone legit shopping for one of these is just going to hear a humming noise when you try to make that argument. [laugh]

Lol, no it's not, if any of the doodoo churned out by S&W or Ruger is any indication.

I get it, the value prop is bad. That I'll agree on. You could buy a couple of smith PC guns, have the locks removed and the guns professionally unf***ed for what one of these costs. Outside of that though? You're trying to argue a Timex is as good as a Rolex. Anyone legit shopping for one of these is just going to hear a humming noise when you try to make that argument. [laugh]

But how does this function any differently than any other Hand Ejector? Unless there's some sort of nifty new technology angle I'm not catching out of this...

But how does this function any differently than any other Hand Ejector? Unless there's some sort of nifty new technology angle I'm not catching out of this...

What's the difference between an old Python and a new one? Other than a completely different set of internals, which in the former is hand fitted and sweet as hell but prone to failure at around 2000rd, and in the latter has a trigger like a dog by comparison but is seemingly (so far) more durable and long-lived when it comes to service life.

Quality of parts, fitment, etc. That's what separates Taurus from Smith, and Smith from Korth, etc.

Manhurins typically have better fit and finish than most US wheelguns. It's not just a label.

Embarrassing that Colts new wheel guns are a shadow of their former selves, and that Smiths "Custom Pro Elite Performance" stuff has regularly come across my desk with basic fitment issues which should have never made it past QC let alone assembly and fitment. My vote is out on new Dan Wesson, but that's CZ now isn't it...

I almost spit my coffee out.

This is reality:

The Manurhin revolvers were designed from the ground up in the 60s and 70s to be the world's best combat revolvers for French counterterrorist and security organizations like GIGN. Colts and S&Ws were not. Manurhin's success (in France) stems from that.

If they sell fifty to a hundred guns in the US per year, I honestly would not be shocked at all. And that's fine because they're niche guns not designed to be everyman handguns. This isn’t meant to be a nightstand gun, or a woods gun, or a civilian self-defense revolver. Its dated technology that appeals to people who have the wallet to say "I want one" and not have a second thought.

If you have to ask about the price, you can't afford it.

Remember Manhurin is the company that was making Walther's PP/PPK in France for decades and shipping them to Walther to stamp their name on them. The quality is probably just as good if not better than a Beretta made one.

Okay, but I'm still not sure how it functions any differently from a dozen other designs?

This is my first time hearing about 'em. And it doesn't look like it works any better than, say, a '64 K-frame. Sure, the fit and finish might be finer and all that, but I'm sure they all reliably go bang when you pull the trigger. Just like Rugers and Colts.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here. I'm just not sure how this is anything other than a nicely fitted... hand ejector.

Okay, but I'm still not sure how it functions any differently from a dozen other designs?

This is my first time hearing about 'em. And it doesn't look like it works any better than, say, a '64 K-frame. Sure, the fit and finish might be finer and all that, but I'm sure they all reliably go bang when you pull the trigger. Just like Rugers and Colts.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here. I'm just not sure how this is anything other than a nicely fitted... hand ejector.

Hand fitting on guns costs a lot, period. If you think this costs a lot, then you've never looked into the prices of brand new European side-by-side shotguns. A "budget" French new boxlock SxS is around $3500. Most "Anson and Deeley" boxlocks start at $5000 for new, European guns and A&D designs have been around since the 1870s, 1880s. Sidelock side-by-sides from reputable, high end companies start at like $15,000 new.

That's the cost of having skilled European labor individually hand-fit guns.

I'm sure you can find a video on how a MR73 works and compare that to an American gun.

They get fired something like 10k times a year in GIGN training without skipping a beat. Their use principally is for breaching times firing through ballistic shields since autoloaders can have out of battery issues bumping into the firing slot. They have to be the most resilient and reliable revolvers ever designed & built.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzM2dI3Rtqc
608a61ae36d96538b700fbf695322643b6302e9318e6f.jpg

They get fired something like 10k times a year in GIGN training without skipping a beat. Their use principally is for breaching times firing through ballistic shields since autoloaders can have out of battery issues bumping into the firing slot. They have to be the most resilient and reliable revolvers ever designed & built.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzM2dI3Rtqc
608a61ae36d96538b700fbf695322643b6302e9318e6f.jpg

The thing about most guns is that they're built to a cost. Marketing has an influence to say "ok, Ruger engineers, we need this to cost less than $X or it won't sell." That doesn't apply with these. These aren't sold to fill a price point.

This is basically the $450 pre-COVID Anderson AR versus the $3500, 4000 KAC/LMT/HK AR debate. The high end guns are conceptually identical in design, but the execution separates them apart.

I finally got around to watching this video. Random thoughts:

The price makes sense to me. The MR73 has been and will likely continue to remain as the best duty revolver (Jeremy Clarkson voice) in the world. When looking at legitimately high-end military or police guns, they typically cost $3000-4000 and are derivates of common designs, like high end ARs. Put it this way, if someone can afford a HK or KAC AR, they can afford a MR73 and probably not bat an eye regarding the price. Hell, I could buy a MR73 if I really wanted to.

If having the best duty revolver in the world tickles your pickle, then the MR73 is probably going to be on your WTB list. That being said, the MR73 is a fifty year old design and has largely been surpassed, even in GIGN, by Glocks and SIGs.

1620648339111.png
1620648352613.png
1620648416950.png

Arguably, the duty revolver hasn't been relevant to military and police sales since the 1980s. A standard, factory Glock 17 is going to do most of what a MR73 is going to do, except at about a fifth of the price, while offering more modern options like red dot mounting and easier sound suppression.

Is the MR73 practical for the average consumer? No, it isn't intended to be. Is it cool, interesting, and "worth it"? That's a subjective question. Would I buy one? Maybe. Would I buy one any time soon? No.

Back
Top Bottom