Beretta Model 92FS - First Impressions

I didn't like the safety until I figured out that you can in fact use it sort of like a 1911A1 safety. You don't have to push up on it just sorta push it forward.

yes, exactly, push it off with the thumb when grabbing the gun.

When training with the 92 platform, the drawing and safety manipulation becomes simultaneous and after awhile becomes natural. We always trained to check the safety to ensure that it was disengaged whenever drawn. Post rounds being fired, the safety was used as a de-cocker by putting the pistol on safe then immediately back to fire prior to moving while drawn. Mind you this was military procedure. Secondary weapon systems were the only weapons that received a "pass" on the "keep the weapon on safe until you intend to fire" as the thought being that if your secondary is drawn you do intend to fire. (as well as built in safety features of the 92, firing pin block etc)

Great gun, one of my personal favorites, Enjoy!

When training with the 92 platform, the drawing and safety manipulation becomes simultaneous and after awhile becomes natural. We always trained to check the safety to ensure that it was disengaged whenever drawn. Post rounds being fired, the safety was used as a de-cocker by putting the pistol on safe then immediately back to fire prior to moving while drawn. Mind you this was military procedure. Secondary weapon systems were the only weapons that received a "pass" on the "keep the weapon on safe until you intend to fire" as the thought being that if your secondary is drawn you do intend to fire. (as well as built in safety features of the 92, firing pin block etc)

Great gun, one of my personal favorites, Enjoy!

I'm not sure if I am correct on this but, I remember reading somewhere that in WWII the 1911A1 was carried with an empty chamber, hammer down, safety on to prevent ND's.

Beretta 92FS was my very first firearm. I will never let that one go. Ill sell everything else except that. I have two 10 round mags and one 17 rounder...

I bought a banana clip for it but it dangled too far to the left and it didn't work.

What is the meaning of "late Eid/Early 4th of July?"

One minus to the 92FS is the cutaway slide. It exposes the hot barrel to the touch. There is a school of thought that it can give foreign matter--dirt, sand, water--an easier pathway down into the action as compared with a solid slide. Users seem to have made their peace with these attributes.

As a late Eid/Early 4th of July present to myself, I decided to pick up a brand spanking new Beretta Model 92FS from MFS in Holliston. The only other handguns that I own are a Walther PK380 and a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm with the stock trigger which is my EDC piece. Let me just start by saying: I THINK I'M IN LOVE. This thing fits my hand like a glove and the single action trigger is absolute ecstasy. Coming from the Shield to this baby, I saw my groupings go from fist/hand size to Eisenhower dollar size - and consistently! The recoil control is absolutely perfect and it doesn't snap against the back of my thumb like my shield does. I am so used to aiming high and to the left with the shield to compensate for the pull down because of that garbage trigger. It's embarrassing that we have to put up with this kinda stuff but i guess thats life in the Commiewealth. Let me tell you, shooting this thing is like having an affair with a young Italian girl after years stuck in an unfulfilling marriage with a woman you keep around just because its better than being alone. I've uploaded a first impressions video and I'm gonna do one as soon as I put 1000 rounds through her. Happy 4th of July, Boys! Stay safe! Stay 2nd Amendment!

https://youtu.be/ud6e9bAFjGo

What is the meaning of "late Eid/Early 4th of July?"

One minus to the 92FS is the cutaway slide. It exposes the hot barrel to the touch. There is a school of thought that it can give foreign matter--dirt, sand, water--an easier pathway down into the action as compared with a solid slide. Users seem to have made their peace with these attributes.

Glass half full/Glass half empty, the other school of thought is it allows a way for mud, sand, water to get out so the gun does not malfunction.

I remembered hearing this constantly in Afghanistan. Then it was pointed out that the open-slide Beretta (in one form or another) is/was the primary issue for Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Iran and Turkey...all of which tend to be pretty dusty, dirty places. In Southeast/Insular Asia, you find them in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines (to a lesser degree).

I love mine. My wife said if I tried to sell it, she'd beat me with it. :D

I remembered hearing this constantly in Afghanistan. Then it was pointed out that the open-slide Beretta (in one form or another) is/was the primary issue for Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Iran and Turkey...all of which tend to be pretty dusty, dirty places. In Southeast/Insular Asia, you find them in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines (to a lesser degree).

I love mine. My wife said if I tried to sell it, she'd beat me with it. :D

Being used by mil for 30+ years and just about any movie made in the last three decades it's only fitting to generate a lot of myth and fiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there is a way to convert the safety to a decocker, essentially turning your gun into a 92G. Requires a professional though.

I'm not one and I did it. It's a lot easier than people think. You do have to be a little mechanically inclined though. All you need is the appropriate sized punch and a non-marring hammer.
You can buy the decocker from Beretta.

I'm not one and I did it. It's a lot easier than people think. You do have to be a little mechanically inclined though. All you need is the appropriate sized punch and a non-marring hammer.
You can buy the decocker from Beretta.

having done the G conversion twice, I'd say the majority of 92 owners should let a smith do it. probably most NESers could do it but average dude not likely. its easy to damage the round spring by inserting it incorrectly. also marring the slide is easy unless one is cautious.

the 92G conversion is substantially more complex that say doing an HK V1 -> LEM conversion. i would say its on par with working on a S&W revolver, one way to do it right and 50 ways to botch it up.

one other small note is the G conversion actualy isnt exactly a 92G. the true 92G has no springs visibly from under the slide and the R sided lever stays more flush. functionally it wouldnt matter but I think the true 92G design is cleaner and superior.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I am correct on this but, I remember reading somewhere that in WWII the 1911A1 was carried with an empty chamber, hammer down, safety on to prevent ND's.

The "safety on" part with the hammer down wouldn't work on a 1911. While I cannot confirm it since I wasn't in during WWII (and didn't personally know any of the Marines that carried my MEUSOC pistols), I believe that you are correct that the 1911 was carried with hammer down on an empty chamber (condition 3). The M9 (92FS with very subtle differences) on the other hand was carried with a loaded chamber, hammer down, safety on.

It's my EDC with 15 round, pre-ban mags and Gold Dot HPs. I only carry it because I shoot it better than any other pistol I own. It just balances right for me..can't explain it.

It's my EDC with 15 round, pre-ban mags and Gold Dot HPs. I only carry it because I shoot it better than any other pistol I own. It just balances right for me..can't explain it.
You don't have to...all that matters is what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom