• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta Model 92FS - First Impressions

As a late Eid/Early 4th of July present to myself, I decided to pick up a brand spanking new Beretta Model 92FS from MFS in Holliston. The only other handguns that I own are a Walther PK380 and a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm with the stock trigger which is my EDC piece. Let me just start by saying: I THINK I'M IN LOVE. This thing fits my hand like a glove and the single action trigger is absolute ecstasy. Coming from the Shield to this baby, I saw my groupings go from fist/hand size to Eisenhower dollar size - and consistently! The recoil control is absolutely perfect and it doesn't snap against the back of my thumb like my shield does. I am so used to aiming high and to the left with the shield to compensate for the pull down because of that garbage trigger. It's embarrassing that we have to put up with this kinda stuff but i guess thats life in the Commiewealth. Let me tell you, shooting this thing is like having an affair with a young Italian girl after years stuck in an unfulfilling marriage with a woman you keep around just because its better than being alone. I've uploaded a first impressions video and I'm gonna do one as soon as I put 1000 rounds through her. Happy 4th of July, Boys! Stay safe! Stay 2nd Amendment!

https://youtu.be/ud6e9bAFjGo

As a late Eid/Early 4th of July present to myself, I decided to pick up a brand spanking new Beretta Model 92FS from MFS in Holliston. The only other handguns that I own are a Walther PK380 and a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm with the stock trigger which is my EDC piece. Let me just start by saying: I THINK I'M IN LOVE. This thing fits my hand like a glove and the single action trigger is absolute ecstasy. Coming from the Shield to this baby, I saw my groupings go from fist/hand size to Eisenhower dollar size - and consistently! The recoil control is absolutely perfect and it doesn't snap against the back of my thumb like my shield does. I am so used to aiming high and to the left with the shield to compensate for the pull down because of that garbage trigger. It's embarrassing that we have to put up with this kinda stuff but i guess thats life in the Commiewealth. Let me tell you, shooting this thing is like having an affair with a young Italian girl after years stuck in an unfulfilling marriage with a woman you keep around just because its better than being alone. I've uploaded a first impressions video and I'm gonna do one as soon as I put 1000 rounds through her. Happy 4th of July, Boys! Stay safe! Stay 2nd Amendment!

The Beretta is a great gun, particularly since they straightened out their slide quality control issue.

You don't have to live with the crap factory trigger on the MA compliant Shield. FFLs have to sell it with that trigger, but dont have to let it leave the stote with it.

Have the Apex Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit installed and it'll bring the pull down into the ~5lb range. I had mine installed at Four Seasons while I waited before I walked out of the door with it. Cost me $100, but makes a million dollar difference to the accuracy and shootability of the gun.

Beretta is excellent. I have few. Heavy use. Never failed. I am glad you like it.

Get a D-Spring to make the trigger slightly better for only a few bucks.

I believe there is a way to convert the safety to a decocker, essentially turning your gun into a 92G. Requires a professional though.

Yeah the replacement is like $40- doesn't require a professional just someone competent with hand tools.

I believe there is a way to convert the safety to a decocker, essentially turning your gun into a 92G. Requires a professional though.
Highly recommended, keep a plastic bag over it while you're working on it so you don't lose the parts that fly out during assembly.
like said previously you don't need a pro, just someone with tools.

The only thing I don't like is the safety.

agree. I converted both my 92's over to G (decocker only) and never looked back. the 92A1 with a G-conversion is a pretty dang cool beretta. unfortunately the G conversion kits sell out within like 4 hours because everyone wants them.

- - - Updated - - -

Highly recommended, keep a plastic bag over it while you're working on it so you don't lose the parts that fly out during assembly.
like said previously you don't need a pro, just someone with tools.

there's a reason why beretta provides extra springs in the kit, because most people lose a few of them. best to have a 'smith just install it. the likelihiood of screwing it up is higher than getting it right.

I'm always toying with the idea of customizing mine, then I say to myself why? They're like driving a Caddy. I did buy the Wilson ultra thin grips and I may change the mag release to a more prominent one so I don't have to adjust my grip. Other than that I love it.

I think the 92 is a great shooter, probably because it's so big for the caliber. If you're so inclined, you can get a .22 conversion kit for it.

Put the g conversion in my 92a1 but for my 92fs i kept the safety and swapped to a Wilson single sided lever. Fs was my first pistol. I'll never get rid of it.

I have the 92 A1 friggin love it. Don't see a need to touch it but that's me. Feels like I am shooting a piece of history.

One nice thing about guns that have been on the market for a good long time is that they tend to have worked out any kinks long ago. The Beretta is pretty big and not a lightweight but it's also easy to shoot and robust.

if we just could open carry, id have mine strapped on all the time.
try some distance shooting, 50 to 100yd, arrange 6 inch targets on a sand backstop and plink away.
you'd be amazed how many you can take out.
when you run out of bullets, you still have a hammer

Welcome to the club, I love my Beretta's. Enjoy. In addition to Wilson, I have had some work done by Josh at http://alleghenyarms.com/, Great work, smaller shop with a more personal touch and Beretta is their specialty..

Last edited:
I don't own one yet but it's on the list of handguns to get. I was pleasantly surprised by my buddy's when he first bought it. I'm still working on getting him to send it off to Wilson.

I had the 96D. Loved the way it racked back like smooth glass. My main issue is it was too big and bulky. Also, for the .40 cal the recoil was too much. I'd be curious how much less the 92FS recoil is. But, size wise I would think it's they are the same. I just don't see the point in making a 9mm that big but that's just my opinion for my hand size. I sure would like to test shoot that new APX Beretta has now.

Love my 92FS. First hand and will never sell it. Going to my kids. Slight mods here and there but totally bulletproof.

I had the 96D. Loved the way it racked back like smooth glass. My main issue is it was too big and bulky. Also, for the .40 cal the recoil was too much. I'd be curious how much less the 92FS recoil is. But, size wise I would think it's they are the same. I just don't see the point in making a 9mm that big but that's just my opinion for my hand size. I sure would like to test shoot that new APX Beretta has now.

Honestly, it kicks like a baby. .40 s&w is, in my experience, a round that snaps harder than a .45 ACP but doesn't offer on par ballistics. .380ACP is my favorite handgun cartridge although i only carry FMJs in my .380s because of its lack of penetration in JHP.

Do it, brother. You won't regret it!

Only two pistols sitting in front of it right now; HK45 and Sig 226/229. I just can't get over how close it is to point of aim out to 15 yards.

I'd be curious how much less the 92FS recoil is.

My friend runs factory ammo and there ain't much recoil. With my reloads it feels a little beefier than a .22LR pistol.

Back
Top Bottom