• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta M9 Thoughts?

I'm looking at picking up a LNIB Beretta M9 with 6X18 round magazines for $490.

It's a little more than I'm wanting to pay for one as the last 92 I owned was inaccurate and I just never loved the gun. Fast forward a few more years working in the gun business and I've never heard a veteran that liked these. I can chalk it up to hard use, the perceived locking block failure, and general disdain for 124 grain RN 9MM ammo.

That being said reviews online rate this gun as really solid, torture test videos abound, and it might be a cool gun to keep in the collection as having had some place in US military history. Thoughts?

Deployed with one. Had plenty of range time with one. It always went bang for me and I never had any issues with it. With 18 rounders is pretty sweet. Do a thorough inspection prior naturally.

It's wide with the safety. I really like to use a very high grip, and I have meaty hands, so this pistol chews on the webbing behind my thumb. I have the same issues with the Hi Power and the PPKs.

i dig the 92. always have and always will. have put countless rounds through them without a single malfunction. the lack of barrel lockup in the front of the slide results in so-so accuracy but if it's really only noticeable when going beyond 50 yards or shooting from a rested position. the vast majority of hate towards this pistol comes from clueless internet warriors or those who had poor experiences with them in the military because they were beat up to shit (and not maintained).

my preference is for the 92A1 model as it provides a rail, rounded trigger guard (aesthetically more pleasing to me) and dovetail'ed front sight as opposed to the 92 or M9 with a fixed front sight. i install a G conversion and D hammer spring then the gun is phenomenal. my only complaint is I wish Beretta would stop doing the stupid vertical striations on fronstrap. they should either make them horizontal or better yet just checked the frontstrap and charge and extra $50.

If you’re going to get any 92 series I would strongly suggest a Vertec or 92A1 for the dovetailed front sights. There’s another couple versions they make but those are typically rare behind the iron curtain.
I love my Vertec and after all the rounds I’ve put down it, it’s smooth as butter now. They certainly are happier with a good grease or gratuitous use of oil.

If you’re going to get any 92 series I would strongly suggest a Vertec or 92A1 for the dovetailed front sights. There’s another couple versions they make but those are typically rare behind the iron curtain.
I love my Vertec and after all the rounds I’ve put down it, it’s smooth as butter now. They certainly are happier with a good grease or gratuitous use of oil.

Oddly enough I don't mind the sights on the M9...Ive owned so many Sigs where the sights have drifted out of alignment after heavy range use that I've probably put some CFO's kid at locktite through college.

Anyway, bought it just now $465 out the door!

Oddly enough I don't mind the sights on the M9...Ive owned so many Sigs where the sights have drifted out of alignment after heavy range use that I've probably put some CFO's kid at locktite through college.

Anyway, bought it just now $465 out the door!

That's a good price, Great price with the Mags. Plenty of options out there for this gun now. VZ makes a line of Ultra Thin G10 grips that make for a smaller profile and very nice grip. Also check Wilson Combat they have a lot of options for the Beretta Platform. You can also do a quick trigger job by getting a "D" spring for under 10 bucks.

I love my 92s and 96s.

So yes, I use a little #2 wheel bearing grease on all my slides, grease and oil these babies up.

I just picked up a 96 vertec and Wilmington yesterday for $425, almost new, brunton finish came off barrel a little funny, coating looks to thick, a little holster wear.
does not look like it was shot much, slight wear on slide rails, just enough to remove a little of the finish (typical), but new condition, Mag well looks new, all finish still there.
I cann't wait to shoot it, the Vertec grip seams perfect. I may need to sell a few of the other 92/96s, now I need a vertex in Inox.
the length of trigger pull is nicer as well.

It came with a steel guide rod, not sure if that was standard on those when they came out.

at first i preferred the vertec style grip (i.e. no hump) but over time i came to actually prefer the standard 92 grip. so i sold my vertec inox on GB and i do not regret it. unless one has small hands it shouldn't much matter. my hands are plenty big for a regular 92. the 92A1 will stay with me forever. LOVE that gun.

never understood the disdain for the M9/92fs...i friggen love mine..

The trigger creep in the SA on most 92s is f***ing terrible- it seeps into your brain and gives you subconcious nightmares.

I can literally shoot like a whole bunch of DA/SA handguns... but nearly every time I pick up a 92, I have to "relearn"
how to shoot it because of that awful trigger creep messes with my brain.

Also the ergonomics are kinda terrible, I can deal with it better than many, but I can see why others don't like it.

You can't easily take a 92FS and convert it to a G. (decock only).

Unless you get one of the fancier ones or a brig. style with the sight dovetail up front, you can forget about changing the sights.

The only things I like about a 92 at all are-

It's cheap, or can be had on the cheap.
It's very reliable
The 15 round magazines are cheap and grow on trees more or less.
for a huge handgun, the front end of it is actually pretty narrow.

Other than that? meh. A CZ75-BD , SP01, or similar will walk all over it backwards, 8 days a week.... the stock CZ triggers usually
need help too, but they're not nearly as f***ed up as a typical 92FS SA aqualung creepfest is... ugh.

-Mike

The trigger creep in the SA on most 92s is f***ing terrible- it seeps into your brain and gives you subconcious nightmares.

I can literally shoot like a whole bunch of DA/SA handguns... but nearly every time I pick up a 92, I have to "relearn"
how to shoot it because of that awful trigger creep messes with my brain.

Also the ergonomics are kinda terrible, I can deal with it better than many, but I can see why others don't like it.

Unless you get one of the fancier ones or a brig. style with the sight dovetail up front, you can forget about changing the sights.

It's very reliable

Other than that? meh. A CZ75-BD , SP01, or similar will walk all over it backwards, 8 days a week.... the stock CZ triggers usually
need help too, but they're not nearly as f***ed up as a typical 92FS SA aqualung creepfest is... ugh.

-Mike

If I could ever find a CZ SP-01 locally I'd probably buy it. I held a friends a few years back and that was it, but I can't stomach ordering one online without actually seeing the gun and NO ONE has them. Also, I'd probably realistically only bite if it were used anyway since they really don't do anything my 226 MK25 or new M9 can't do....

They say the only interesting gun is an accurate gun, but actually a pistol that never malfunctions is also pretty interesting. My first pistol was a 92FS which never once had any issues with cycling or firing. It wasn't until later that I discovered that not all 9mm pistols are so reliable.

They say the only interesting gun is an accurate gun, but actually a pistol that never malfunctions is also pretty interesting. My first pistol was a 92FS which never once had any issues with cycling or firing. It wasn't until later that I discovered that not all 9mm pistols are so reliable.

I'm in complete agreement. I'm as much a Glock lover as any fanboy on this forum but I've had them malfunction. Both situations were not necessarily due to gun design issues, but the cerakoted models are inconsistently reliable, as are MA/CA 10 round mags.

Yes you can. They sell G conversions that you can do yourself if you’re remotely handy. I recommend a big ziplock bag that will fit the slide in case of launches.
Fair, which is why if anyone ever asks about them I direct them towards the models with dovetailed fronts.

It's very reliable

European Rugers? Nothing that special. Just the new flavor of Glocks for Ma**h***s.
-Mike

Beretta 92FS is an excellent range/home defense handgun. With Wilson ultrathin grips, short reach trigger and change of springs it can fit small hands and have surprisingly nice smooth trigger. Customizing it is a piece of cake for those who had to deal with the gun in the military. In short, extremely reliable, durable, accurate and ... big. I like it.

I was eyeing a 92 compact the other day. I understand that the compact has a shorter barell, and grip with a 10 round magazine.
I think that The 15 round 92FS mags will fit it but hang down past the bottom?
Can anyone chime in and tell me about the compacts?

I was eyeing a 92 compact the other day. I understand that the compact has a shorter barell, and grip with a 10 round magazine.
I think that The 15 round 92FS mags will fit it but hang down past the bottom?
Can anyone chime in and tell me about the compacts?

I have a 92FS Compact Inox. Yes the 15 round mags hang out the bottom but I think you can buy a sleeve that fits around the base of the mags so they work on the compact and make them look like a tall base. Either Beretta or Wilson Combat sells them. I don’t use them so I can’t tell you how good they really are.

I just picked up a Compact and I haven’t had time to try it out but people seem to love them. Also many of the standard 92FS upgrade parts fit it which is really nice. Recently Beretta has a sale on mags (maybe even this weekend too) and you could get the 10 round mags shipped for $26 each with free shipping (though you pay tax). Also check out Langdon Tactical for upgrade parts.

This will allow you to use Full size mags in the 92 Compacts, and basically gives you a full size grip, Very similar to the 92 Centurion which has a compact slide on a full size frame ( think Glock 19x ). If you decide on the Compact it a inexpensive option and works well.

X-Grip Mag Adapter Beretta 92 Full Size Mag to fit Beretta 92 Compact

Side Note: The 92 Compact standard Mags are 13 rounds if you live in a free state, and pre-ban mags do exist...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom