• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta Introduces Competition-Ready 92X Performance Pistol

mikeyp

NES Member
Beretta Introduces Competition-Ready 92X Performance Pistol

92x-performance-call-out.jpg

Waitaminute - "To reduce moving mass" they skeletonized the hammer, but to decrease muzzle rise, they used a heavier slide. So the hammer falls immeasurably faster, but the gun cycles slower?

so the beavertail pushes you further away from the bore.

and what exactly is a "match" takedown lever? are there stages where you're timed on your mad dis/assembly skills?

Bore axis matters less than people think. The match takedown lever is a place to index your left thumb (like the "gas pedal" on an open gun). This is a purpose built competition gun and I think it will be a hit.

Bore axis matters less than people think. The match takedown lever is a place to index your left thumb (like the "gas pedal" on an open gun). This is a purpose built competition gun and I think it will be a hit.
way to take the wind out of my whining sails with valid information. [cheers]

Is the Match takedown lever ambidextrous for lefties though? It doesn't appear to be nor does the article mention it.

That beaver tail is weird.

Lots of USPSA production folks have migrated to heavy guns like this. The CZ Shadow 2 is similar.

Waitaminute - "To reduce moving mass" they skeletonized the hammer, but to decrease muzzle rise, they used a heavier slide. So the hammer falls immeasurably faster, but the gun cycles slower?

The skeletonized hammer and lighter hammer mainspring means that the Brigadier slide is pushing against less weight when it cycles backwards. This is good because it means the slide will cycle faster compared to what a typical Brigadier slide does on an ordinary 92 frame.

Steel frame competition pistols are all the rage in the competition world. The 92 is highly regarded as reliable and the only knock on it I repeatedly hear is they're heavy, but when more weight is better, then this pistol should be a good competition option.

I'm just glad to see Beretta isn't abandoning the 92, it may not be the golden child it was 30 years ago, but it's not a POS. I use to hate the gun years back, but that was more to do with 9mm than anything else.

The skeletonized hammer and lighter hammer mainspring means that the Brigadier slide is pushing against less weight when it cycles backwards. This is good because it means the slide will cycle faster compared to what a typical Brigadier slide does on an ordinary 92 frame.
Maybe I'm a doubter that doesn't know enough about game guns. Clearly there's a lot of balancing going on here. Hell, I bet they can even use a lighter recoil spring, but is that little bit of weight and spring savings enough to balance the speed lost to the heavier slide?

I hope it's successful, and that whoever buys one enjoys it; I just don't think I get it.

Last edited:
Most competitive guns do a trigger job, and that’s what that guns needs the most! Trigger pull is a half mile at best. Not sure you can really shorten it much. Meh, I’ll stick with my built up Para’s from 80% frames.

Most competitive guns do a trigger job, and that’s what that guns needs the most! Trigger pull is a half mile at best. Not sure you can really shorten it much. Meh, I’ll stick with my built up Para’s from 80% frames.

Trigger pull on my CZ Shadow 2 is pretty darn good. IIRC, da is 6 lbs and sa is 2 lbs. The SA trigger pull is pretty short as well.

From what I've heard, the DA/SA trigger is actually pretty awesome. Sounds like Beretta did a great job on this gun catering to the competition market. I can't stand that beavertail though. The importance of a low bore axis is exaggerated IMO, especially in a soft shooting 9mm pistol, but downward swept beavertails dig into my hand. It's more of a comfort thing for me.

Wonder what Beretta plans to charge for these. I have 0 interest in buying one but just curious how it compares in price to something like a S2 for example.

That is an odd shaped beaver tail but I find them to be one of the most subjective things on handguns.

Otherwise I think it looks pretty nice. They should have done something like this a long time ago but better late than never. The 92 platform was perfect for a competition model.

As a duty/carry gun, okay just too big and heavy overall. I always enjoy shooting the M9 but it sure gets annoying having to conceal in a shoulder holster.

What competition? Sure as hell isn't Bullseye Pistol.

USPSA and IPSC. Heavy 9mm DA/SA guns are all the rage for the Production division. A steel-framed, full-size gun has very little recoil with our gamer 9mm loads, so low-muzzle rise of the heavy gun helps reduce split times. The SA trigger is far better than you get out of a Glock, making it easier to shoot accurately.

MSRP has been reported to be $1399, so street price should be lower than that,

More Pics, and discussion here: Beretta 92X

Last edited:
From what I have read, that is their strongest competition, Im not a competition shooter, but will be adding this to my collection, I missed the other Steel frame models and they were all in the $3,000 range.

Back
Top Bottom