Beretta CX4 Storm vs. CZ Scorpion Carbine

Any of you or anyone else who has an Evo they don't want, and want to sell for a reasonable used price, let me know. I've been thinking of picking one up and SBR-ing it.
I’m planning to SBR mine. right now it’s reconfigured as a scorpion micro with a Omega9k and the brace. nice little package.

There are two for sale in the classifieds right now. Buy it. SBR it. You won't be disappointed.

I've seen the ones that have been posted recently as well as for the past couple of years. I mentioned reasonably used price. The ones I've seen have been more than new ones from local FFLs.

I've seen the ones that have been posted recently as well as for the past couple of years. I mentioned reasonably used price. The ones I've seen have been more than new ones from local FFLs.

IMHO you are better off just buying a new one (in the color and config of your choosing) and be done with it. These guns retain a lot of value used and you're not going to
save much, if anything.

Negotiate. I know one of the classified posts already has a number of upgrades. Can't hurt to throw a number out there.

Also, not sure how far you are from RI, but D & L Shooting Supply in Warwick usually has a good supply of CZ's and his pricing is aggressive. You can also find his items on gun broker. I picked mine up from D&L as he was cheaper than anyone in MA, had it shipped direct to a gunsmith to make it MA compliant, then SBR'd it. I'm sure you can find a dealer in NH to do the same for short money if MA dealers are too pricy.

Last edited:
So I just picked up another CX4 Storm, this one of the newer ones in FDE. BTW, the trigger is much better than previous versions of the gun. My circa 2017-2018 version went to Sierra Papa for trigger work. This circa 2021 model has a trigger that’s just slightly heavier than the Sierra Papa upgraded trigger (less than a pound). I’m excited to save the $200 on another trigger upgrade.

I have not had my hands on a CZ Scorpion carbine yet. They’re interesting, especially as a SBR candidate. At the same time, the CX4 Storm is lighter, shorter, and takes more common magazines (including preban / non-neutered capacity magazines). The Scorpion has to be pinned and welded here in Massachusetts, which would negate a couple of the obvious advantages of the Scorpion in most other states. Plus you can just about buy two CX4 Storms for the same price as one Scorpion (I know because I did).

I’d love to hear your feedback and thoughts on pros/cons of each. I’d especially love to hear from people who have handled and shot both of these rifles for a comparison.

I also sent my older CX4 Storm to SP for all the hard internal mods shown in the vid-they returned a rifle that can best be described as now 'clockwork' in feel and performance-worth every penny of the roughly $1000.00 bucks we paid and well worth the rather long wait before SP called and told us to ship in the gun-well over a year as I recall.

What I don't understand is why anyone would shorten a barrel of a pcc-the stock 16" (CX4) barrel is absolutely ideal for both close quarters and for reaching out to distances that most here would dispute as being within the capability of the rifle additionally of course the length allows for any version of 9mm to fully develop all the power available.

Another 'benefit' of having the modded Storm is that there is no other rifle I am even remotely interested in purchasing as we are certain it would disappoint in comparison-so rather than being an hideously expensive version of the CX4 Storm in the end the rifle turned out to be a bargain.

The reliability and simplicity of a blow back pcc cannot be overstated or for that matter, underappreciated.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DWyJVpzkOk

An excellent presentation I thought.

I find the CX4 to be god awful ugly and even touching them to sell makes me cringe...

I own the Scorpion. It started out as the pistol model with the faux suppressor. I removed the faux suppressor and put on a real one. I added a Manticore arms sliding stock and a EOTech 512. I installed the HBI springs for the trigger.

Scorpion.jpg

I much prefer this to the CX4

I also sent my older CX4 Storm to SP for all the hard internal mods shown in the vid-they returned a rifle that can best be described as now 'clockwork' in feel and performance-worth every penny of the roughly $1000.00 bucks we paid and well worth the rather long wait before SP called and told us to ship in the gun-well over a year as I recall.

What I don't understand is why anyone would shorten a barrel of a pcc-the stock 16" (CX4) barrel is absolutely ideal for both close quarters and for reaching out to distances that most here would dispute as being within the capability of the rifle additionally of course the length allows for any version of 9mm to fully develop all the power available.

Another 'benefit' of having the modded Storm is that there is no other rifle I am even remotely interested in purchasing as we are certain it would disappoint in comparison-so rather than being an hideously expensive version of the CX4 Storm in the end the rifle turned out to be a bargain.

The reliability and simplicity of a blow back pcc cannot be overstated or for that matter, underappreciated.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DWyJVpzkOk

An excellent presentation I thought.

Well for starters, barrel cut down and with an actual suppressor, it would look like that picture above, which would be great. 16" of pure barrel is too long for 9x19 optimal performance - it's just a waste put on for legal reasons. 9-12" is ideal, round-specific of course. 12-and-change-inches happens to be where the barrel could be cut down, threaded and capped for a Form 1 setup. [MrBurns] EXCELLENT [/MrBurns]

Mind you, given some SP internals, you can thread it as-is at 16.25" without 922r issues, even using non-US mags. But you could also just Form 1 it. It's pretty cool.

The basic SP gear (trigger, hammer, springs) is essential. Turns it into a fine carbine, though it sounds like the most recent revision of the stock CX4 addresses the spongy trigger and soggy hammer.

That all said, I am gaga over @CrackPot's Scorpion. I run a big tent family, so I'd like to know more.

That all said, I am gaga over @CrackPot's Scorpion. I run a big tent family, so I'd like to know more.

Unfortunately they discontinued the faux suppressor pistol model. I went with that so it would shroud the suppressor when I put on the real one. It gives it a great look and extends my available area for my offhand to grip. It makes it really comfortable. I suspect there are after market handguards for it that are long enough that your suppressor could go inside.

Suppressor diameter and length come into play. Too short and you wont be able to get enough leverage to remove it. I had to iterate to make sure I had the right one

Does the CX4 storm's action ride on plastic rails? I saw some dissasembly videos and it seems like the bolt assembly is shooting back and forth on the plastic frame of the gun itself. How does that fare after thousands and thousands of rounds?

If I am reading the charts correctly the difference between barrel lengths is about 75'/sec and 50 ft lbs @ the muzzle-people will have to decide for themselves if this is significant and what happens at distance.

The basic SP gear (trigger, hammer, springs) is essential. Turns it into a fine carbine, though it sounds like the most recent revision of the stock CX4 addresses the spongy trigger and soggy hammer.

I was surprised when I got to test the new version of the CX4 Storm (2021 manufacture). I had actually written out the check and order sheet for SP before I picked the rifle up, and when I got to shoot it and dry fire it, I was impressed with the new trigger. I’d heard it was improved but couldn’t find much online about it.

This week I tested the trigger pulls and on my older version with SP upgraded trigger, the pull weight was 6 lbs. 9 oz. I’ve read older CX4 Storm rifles had trigger pull weights 10+ lbs. I don’t remember what mine was before upgrades other than “not good.” The new gun (with stock trigger) has a trigger pull weight of 7 lbs. 6 oz. Both were reasonably similar in smoothness. The metal SP trigger is nice compared to the plastic, but I’d rather save the $200 and use the stock trigger on the new CX4.

Does the CX4 storm's action ride on plastic rails? I saw some dissasembly videos and it seems like the bolt assembly is shooting back and forth on the plastic frame of the gun itself. How does that fare after thousands and thousands of rounds?

Yes. I’m not quite sure how that will wear in. I’ve got over 500 rounds through one of them and there’s not a hint of wear. I’ve got a ways to go for thousands and thousands of rounds though.

I find the CX4 to be god awful ugly and even touching them to sell makes me cringe...

I own the Scorpion. It started out as the pistol model with the faux suppressor. I removed the faux suppressor and put on a real one. I added a Manticore arms sliding stock and a EOTech 512. I installed the HBI springs for the trigger.

View attachment 584297

I much prefer this to the CX4
The joys of being an 07...!

View attachment 584334
No experience with the Beretta, But have a Scorpion and USC SBR's. The USC is my go to for pcc. Everyone that shoots it loves it. I should get off my ass and UMP it.
The usc was on my definite buy list.
But after the cost for conversion and it not having a magazine exchange system like the Beretta's do, it moved down the list.

A cheaper way to semi ump it is an acr stock

View attachment 584334
No experience with the Beretta, But have a Scorpion and USC SBR's. The USC is my go to for pcc. Everyone that shoots it loves it. I should get off my ass and UMP it.

I still want an HK USC to convert to the UMP, but I just picked up an HK SL8 and I'm doing the conversion to a G36, so the USC will have to wait. In the meantime, I still have my Scorpion SBR...

I love my Beretta Storm and sent it to these guys for the trigger upgrade and buffer upgrade. It made took the trigger from awful to ok to pretty good. I'm not going to lie and say it's great but it much better than out of the box.

I’ve had an Evo3 Scorpion for a few years now. I’ve tried really hard to like it, but I just don’t. I swapped out the trigger and springs with an HBI upgraded version. Changed the grip to correct an awkward factory grip angle and even picked up CZ’s bull pup kit for it. I still just find it big, clumsy and honestly, boring. I’ve never shot the Beretta before, so I can’t compare to it.
Beretta CX4 Storm is definitely a fun gun to shoot. You should get your hands on one if you can.

Beretta CX4 Storm is definitely a fun gun to shoot. You should get your hands on one if you can.
He's going to be even more pissed off at that gun versus the CZ that he already had. There's nothing redeeming about the storm other than the fact that it takes Beretta mags after that it all goes downhill from there.

Pccs are not for everyone. The storm is basically like for somebody who would buy a high point or sub2000 but doesn't want to get caught out in public with it.

Back
Top Bottom