Beretta CX Storm 9mm and Sierra Papa trigger

rep308

NES Member
I've been interested in 9mm carbines and have to take into account MA restrictions in getting one. On one hand I looked at the 9mm AR route, I have Uzi mags that need to be modified and all the little things you need to get it reliable. I looked at and shot the High Point 9mm carbine and it didn't suck, not pretty and again 10 round mag limits. I decided on the more to most expensive option the Beretta CX Storm 9mm, with the Beretta 92 mag adapter kit. I have a 92 Inox and a bunch of pre ban mags and that sealed the deal

The Storm is especially interesting to me as a lefty. It was easy to get it to eject left and switch the safety. I like the styling and handling of the gun, you can add or subtract butt plate spacers to adjust the length of pull. It is damn easy to take a part and there are enough YouTube videos to educate you on the process. I tracked a nice one down here in the classifieds and now see that Four Seasons has decided that they can be sold to MA residents post Healey changes.

The gun is about as short as you can legally get with a 16.5" barrel and 29" OAL length. The iron sites are pretty good, although you need a stupid tool to adjust which the original owner lost.. I ordered one for $15 and got another bolt release as well to mount one on each side for better ambi handing. I got it dialed in at 50 yards with the iron sites and they fold down as well for easy red dot mounting. It's a great set up, if the red dot battery dies, I can flip up the iron sites and see them clearly through the red dot. Recoil is non existent.

Now the bad part, the trigger. Why Beretta cheaped out here is a mystery. The plastic trigger, plastic hammer and big spring needed to move the plastic hammer with sufficient force leads to a 12-14 lb springy trigger that you would expect on a cheap airsoft gun. The web pointed me to Sierra Papa:

http://sierrapapacx4.com/

who do a custom trigger job with replacement steel adjustable trigger, hammer and spring. They were easy to contact and removal of the trigger group was pretty easy, they have a video on the web site. I mailed off the trigger assembly and a little under $200 to get it done. Turn around was about 6 weeks and installation was again pretty easy. The trigger is much better 6-7 lbs, as measured by my Lyman gauge, with a clean break. They took a bad trigger and made it good, but in reality it is still not great, but good enough. The hammer/trigger US made parts count for 1 part in the 922 stuff that I don't fully understand. If I lived in NH, I'd SBR it with a 10" threaded barrel and a suppressor, but I'm not going to mess with it in MA.

I love this gun although I've only fired a couple of hundred rounds. I've mounted a sling, the Desantis Storm Packer mag carrier, (also ambi):

https://www.amazon.com/Desantis-Ambidextrous-Holster-Beretta-Carbine/dp/B0048KOFOK

It has one retractable rail, optional side rails mounts and you can mount a forward grip. I'm not going to tacticool mine and leave it as it is.

Great gun, good trigger and one nice home defense option and sweet gun for newbie shooters.

Last edited:
Trying to get my hands on one now. I was going back and forth about it, but decided that since I wanted a 92 I may grab one to share the mags.

yes I'm also a CX4 fan. my only gripe is the mag release is impossible to reach with my thumb. i have to use my left hand to actuate it. not a deal breaker but a bit annoying. Sierra Papa does a conversion where they remove the trumbhole part of the stock. this looks nice. the stock is hollow so it's not a DIY type of job. they have the process really figured out.

i agree the stock trigger is retardedly heavy. i think part of this is the incredibly heavy hammer spring. as a direct blowback design, I think beretta is using a very heavy hammer spring to help keep the breech closed and help slow down the bolt. if you go with a lighter trigger i would keep some degree of caution as to how it could affect breech timing and cycling.

the trigger does smooth out after extensive use although i wouldn't say it gets much lighter.

I got to try one out at the AFS cancer fundraiser this year and have to say it didn't suck. I think it was stock aside from a little red dot they had mounted on it.

yes I'm also a CX4 fan. my only gripe is the mag release is impossible to reach with my thumb. i have to use my left hand to actuate it. not a deal breaker but a bit annoying. Sierra Papa does a conversion where they remove the trumbhole part of the stock. this looks nice. the stock is hollow so it's not a DIY type of job. they have the process really figured out.

i agree the stock trigger is retardedly heavy. i think part of this is the incredibly heavy hammer spring. as a direct blowback design, I think beretta is using a very heavy hammer spring to help keep the breech closed and help slow down the bolt. if you go with a lighter trigger i would keep some degree of caution as to how it could affect breech timing and cycling.

the trigger does smooth out after extensive use although i wouldn't say it gets much lighter.

You have the option of switching the mag release to the other side and use your pointer finger like us lefty's use in the standard right hand config. I switched the ejection and safety to left hand config but left the mag release in the standard right hand config so I can drop the mag with my pointer finger like my other firearms.

Dunno if you've dialed it in and found the best spot for you, but the S-P trigger pull is usually adjustable lighter than 6lbs.

Dunno if you've dialed it in and found the best spot for you, but the S-P trigger pull is usually adjustable lighter than 6lbs.
[Emily Litella]"Nevermind..."[/Emily Litella]

Hmm. Playing with a SPCX4 trigger today, I guess most of the pull weight drop comes from the spring change, and the adjuster is really just 1st stage travel. I think this one's lighter than 6lbs but I'll have to bring a scale next time I look at it. It is pretty crisp, though.

Back
Top Bottom