Beretta 96

Junior314

NES Life Member
NES Member
I searched and couldn't find anything on this firearm.

Anyone have any experience with it? I have the opportunity to grab one as part of a trade this weekend. Would be my first .40 and first Beretta, BNIB.

I love my 92, very reliable and accurate and is my every day carry. The 96 I read can have slide/locking block issues, but I don't have personal experience with it.

Last edited:
You might be well served searching the beretta forums where there are likely more folks with direct experience shooting the 96 series

personally i've never fired a 96. despite my pleasant experiences with the 92 series, I would be cautious extrapolating these to the 96. my understanding is the design has encountered all sorts of issues when stepping it up to .40S&W, which isn't particularly surprising. if I were in the market for a .40S&W pistol that is going to see a fair amount of range use, I would lean towards a Sig, Glock or M&P.

I had a 96 liked the pistol but I found a 610 revolver so I sold it. I can tell you that pre ban 92 mags can be used and can give you 1 or 2 more rounds and they will function flawlessly

I had a 96 liked the pistol but I found a 610 revolver so I sold it. I can tell you that pre ban 92 mags can be used and can give you 1 or 2 more rounds and they will function flawlessly

Interestingly enough I would be swapping for a revolver. Thanks for info.

I have a couple of 96s and a few 92s
my picture to left is my brigadier 96 in stainless. (inox)
the 92 much easier to shoot accurately.
I cannot not shoot the 96 as well as 92.
I use to be able to hit a 2x4 lumber laying up the back stop at 100 yards after three or 4 shots with 92, correct for az after watching sand kick up and in no time hitting the piece of wood.
you can find a ton of parts
easy to find a new 92 barrel and used 92 slide to turn 96 into a 92 without issues 10 second swap, and now you have two calibers on the cheep.

one more thing 96 and 92 mags are interchangeable.
a 10rd 40 Cal probably hold 11-12 9s
just be careful not to load 9s and shoot it out of the 40.
a chance you may actual light one off. not sure if it would hurt the gun, but probably surprise you if the case blows out.

I have a couple of 96s and a few 92s
my picture to left is my brigadier 96 in stainless. (inox)
the 92 much easier to shoot accurately.
I cannot not shoot the 96 as well as 92.
I use to be able to hit a 2x4 lumber laying up the back stop at 100 yards after three or 4 shots with 92, correct for az after watching sand kick up and in no time hitting the piece of wood.
you can find a ton of parts
easy to find a new 92 barrel and used 92 slide to turn 96 into a 92 without issues 10 second swap, and now you have two calibers on the cheep.

Can you go 92 to 96 in the opposite scenario? I have a 92 and I love it.

I had a 96 and never had any issues with it but I did speak to several people on Beretta forums that did have the earlier mentioned slide issue. I would steer clear of it even if your plan is to turn it over to someone else. Anyone thats knowledgable will avoid it and if you sell it to someone without giving them the heads up thats your gun karma.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Can you go 92 to 96 in the opposite scenario? I have a 92 and I love it.
yes you need to swap barrel and slide to be 100%
frame the same

I think what your were getting at is some put a 9 barrel and use a 40 slide and it works,
but No you cannot but a 40 barrel and use 92 slide since the 40 won't fit into the bolt face

My first handgun was a .40 caliber Beretta 96D (a police trade-in). After having for a while I found it to be quiet large. Also, after firing I found the recoil to be a bit much compared to 9mm. Don't get me wrong it's a great handgun and racked like glass. Personally, once I discovered how easy it was to find 9mm ammo compared to .40 cal, I decided to trade my 96D in towards a HK VP9....which to me was an ideal hand size for me. I would like to get another Beretta but would probably go with a 92 depending what's available.

Back
Top Bottom