• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta 92FS?

Got my Henry last week. Thinking I’d like a new pistol, maybe a range toy, so it can be a heavier, longer slide pistol. I’m thinking the 92 might be that way to go. Yeah it isn’t the latest and greatest, but seems like an excellent firearm. I like the single action double action, and can even find high cap mags. Looked at a Sig Legion, and the 92 still seems to fit a bit better. While the trigger was heavier in the 92, the break was really clean.

Anything I’m forgetting or should try? Yes to 9mm.

I bought a 92fs and kept it for a couple months. I sold it for what I paid for it so that was a plus.
Glad I tried it but I couldn't stand the gigantic safety for one. I also didn't shoot it that well. It was also purely a single duty firearm as I would never carry it (it's a big honking 9mm) and I don't know if you could even put a light on it.
Many other 9mm I would go with (and have gone with) instead. I agree with Tallen in the CZ although I've never shot one (they look great and have solid reviews). I also prefer Glocks and would get a G19 that could pull double duty first.

I have meaty hands and like to hold a pistol as high on the bore axis as possible, the 92fs and other exposed hammer guns chew up my hands real bad. Other that do this include the HiPower and the PPk, which sucks because I love that Walther.

I picked up a stainless version last year after it caught my eye at FS. I swapped out the guide rod for a stainless version, switched out the hammer and trigger as well and sold it a few months later. I just couldn't get comfortable with the grip and the weight of it. I had no intention of carrying it so that wasnt a factor. For a bit more I would go with a Sig 226 or 229.

IMG_20180428_110839_527.jpg

Great guns, and they improve immensely if you add the steel trigger and D-spring replacement.
I carry mine almost daily, and shoot it (avereage, relative to the field) in IDPA and have never had an issue with reliability. Prebans are plentiful and should get better as the Army gets ready t move away from them.
(This is a 92FS Vertec, the M9A3 is the next in the timeline of production.)

Another vote for the D-spring, makes a huge difference for DA. There's an option to remove the safety and convert it to a decocker only- might be interesting for some people.

Another vote for the D-spring, makes a huge difference for DA. There's an option to remove the safety and convert it to a decocker only- might be interesting for some people.
I've done it, kit from Beretta is about $90 and worth every penny if you're confident enough to carry it that way.

Mine has all sorts of springs in it, plus a small unilateral safety and 3-dot sights (a must!). Double action isnt nearly as heavy as a p226, and single action is really nice. Black on black looks beautiful!

For the price, it's the best all-metal gun youll find. If you don't mind paying extra, I'd go for the CZ-75.

I have a G19, just thinking about something different. I love the idea of removing the safety and having a decocker only like a sig. I doubt id carry it anyway, but could pull double duty as a house gun.

What is the D spring? Just a lighter spring kit? Also, is the trigger plastic that it has a steel option? I know the guide spring is plastic.

Can a Baretta owner post links to the D spring and a blued steel trigger. Are these Barretta factory (Italy) parts?

The option for preban mags for mass buyers is a plus.

Wilson has some nice parts for the 92. From single sided low profile safety to standard size wing. I have their standard size single on a 92fs with their blacked out rear sight. I like this combo a lot. My 92a1 has the factory g conversion unit and D spring. My only other future change on the a1 are sights. The platform has a lot of options nowadays

I used to own an 1980's Taurus clone of the 92, which had a frame mounted safety that I prefer over slide mounted, that I really regret selling. Great platform. The long sight radius and the fairly tight sights (for a combat pistol) made it more accurate in my experience to other service pistols, though the sight acquisition was a bit slower for me. The internal finishing on the Taurus was a bit rougher than any real Beretta I've ever seen, but it functioned just fine. Given that surplus M9's are readily available, getting a real Beretta isn't too expensive. Surplus pre-ban mags are available, and Mec-Gar is great for new (Taurus and Beretta are not interchangeable)

The front sight is milled into the frame. Upgrading the front sight requires gunsmithing.

if you can get a 92A1 that's the model to acquired. it has dovetailed sights and a pic rail. the only downside is some 92 holsters won't accommodate the rail. having owned various 92's over the years, once people get into the gun the first thing they want are to upgrade the sights. with a standard 92 you're pretty much stuck with the front sight.

I might be a bit biased, but the 92FS is a fine gun, as mentioned above Wilson has many upgrades available. Also Langdon Tactical now offers a trigger job in a bag that is amazing. A new 92FS can be had for around $500, shoot the hell out of it before going crazy with upgrades. The trigger and guide rod will really not make any noticeable difference. The trigger is actually a metal skeleton with a poly coating, and the guide rod is poly for a reason. But more and more upgrades keep coming out for it and feel free to browse the info on Beretta Forum. Great helpful bunch of guys there.

Last edited:
I might be a bit biased, but the 92FS is a fine gun, as mentioned above Wilson has many upgrades available. Also Langdon Tactical now offers a trigger job in a bag that is amazing. A new 92FS can be had for around $500, shot the hell out of it before going crazy with upgrades. The trigger and guide rod will really not make any noticeable difference. The trigger is actually a metal skeleton with a poly coating, and the guide rod is poly for a reason. But more and more upgrades keep coming out for it and feel free to browse the info on Beretta Forum. Great helpful bunch of guys there.
Could not disagree more on the trigger (D-spring) upgrade. It is a very noticeable difference.

CZs if you can get them and 9mm 1911s have more going for them than the 92. If you really want the form factor there is a nicer Taurus variant (why Beretta won't make this) with a frame mounted safety/decocker.

My first handgun was a 92FS, I was shooting it at the range today and I still like it. I am wayyy better with my H&K VP9 in the accuracy department. You may find that you will go through several handguns until you find the "one" that fits your hand perfect and you kill targets all day & night. It's a lifelong search...

Could not disagree more on the trigger (D-spring) upgrade. It is a very noticeable difference.

I was referring to the swapping of the stock poly coated TRIGGER with the all metal trigger, I my opinion very few can tell the difference. The D Hammer spring makes a noticeable difference with the double action pull and I think for the $7.00 it the single best upgrade for the money.

I have a G19, just thinking about something different. I love the idea of removing the safety and having a decocker only like a sig. I doubt id carry it anyway, but could pull double duty as a house gun.

Since you already have G19 a 92fs (for the history of it) or a Shield for a smaller carry option . Issue with the shield is you really need to address the trigger pull if it's massified version

An imported Made in Italy Barretta version that was the standard US military sidearm and now priced under 500...hard to resist.

Also shares the locking block design of the Walther P38.

Back
Top Bottom