• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

beretta 92FS

This is partially inspired by the other thread, Leon/Professional....

so....Ive been shooting for some time now and never really had an opportunity to shoot a beretta 92 until last night. As advertised, that first trigger pull in DA is longer than the Gettysburg Address, but the follow up shots are very crisp and I was kind of amazed at its accuracy. Again, I never had much interest in the gun or the 9MM, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by it.

Now, the thing is heavy, but I've got a thing for heavy pistols because well, Im an idiot - Im aware there are many IWB holsters for this thing, but does anyone actually carry one?

I tried. Just to big and heavy for me. I was used to my p238 that I don't even know is there. The 92 felt like it was pulling on my pants/belt all the time. I think if you really wanted to carry it OWB would be better

When I first got into shooting I really took a shining to the 92. Zero recoil (weight) and very accurate. For me, the grips were too damn big. But with the introduction of the Inox Vertec, I may give it a whirl when I'm next at FS. Btw, any NES reviews on the Vertec? From a distance, the grips look a little cheezy.

If someone is going to carry something that big, they might as well just carry a full size 1911.

I go between that a lot, to be honest with you. I carry a 686 IWB now, weight isn't too too much an issue, but now that I've diminished a LOT in bodyfat, I am having more trouble concealing that and favor my G23 more and more.

If someone is going to carry something that big, they might as well just carry a full size 1911.

I lumped that thing in a chest rig in the Stan. Had too or it felt like it was gonna drop me pants every ten feet. I suggest shoulder holster for that iron.

I posted a review of my vertec inox along w pics in the appropriate thread:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...se-Vertec-and-brigadier?highlight=Vertec+inox

WRT the heavy DA pull, just swap in a D spring or wilson combat 16# spring and it will be on par w a P226 DA pull.

for those who dislaike the huge 92 grip, the vertec and upcoming M9A3 will take care of this issue. IMO the reason to get a vertec is the front sight is dovetailed whereas the standard old-school 92's are not (annoying).

you can definitelty OWB carry a 92 but its a 30oz 9mm double stack hammer fired gun so lets please not compare it to a glock 42 or kahr PM9 its apples and oranges.

My friend honestly carried one appendix carry for a year until he got a j frame. He still might carry the beretta from time to time.

I have an Alien Gear IWB for a 92fs. I do carry it sometimes in the winter but I too have other handguns that are smaller and lighter. However with a good belt the 92 does carry surprisingly well.

A bit off topic, but there are some very simple upgrades you can make the the 92FS to improve the trigger pull. Google around.

I am a huge 92FS fan, and this is a great time to get one, they have re-released some great versions this year, and have hinted that there are more to come. I have carried one but usually opt for a small pocket gun. For me its a range gun, home protection gun, and occasionally carried in a shoulder rig I find it easier when spending a lot of time in and out of the truck. People who are 1911 fans will probably like the Vertec, Its not the grip I am use to so I tend to stick with the standard 92FS variants. You might want to check out the new Wilson combat version, getting one in MA could be a task but I hear its not impossible..

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=111356&highlight=wilson+brig

Love my 92fs. It comes the range every time. I had a kydex holster made for mine by a member here. It is a lot of real estate to hide.
If you miss with 15 rounds you could bludgeoned an ox with the thing.

I am a huge 92FS fan, and this is a great time to get one, they have re-released some great versions this year, and have hinted that there are more to come. I have carried one but usually opt for a small pocket gun. For me its a range gun, home protection gun, and occasionally carried in a shoulder rig I find it easier when spending a lot of time in and out of the truck. People who are 1911 fans will probably like the Vertec, Its not the grip I am use to so I tend to stick with the standard 92FS variants. You might want to check out the new Wilson combat version, getting one in MA could be a task but I hear its not impossible..

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=111356&highlight=wilson+brig

Holy shit that is beautiful! That would be a perfect gift for my son's graduation.

Last edited:
A little hijack here, but at least it's on the same topic! [smile] I just picked up a M9. Been looking at shoulder holsters for it. Seems there are a million variants out there. Can anyone recommend one? I'd love something modular that the holster part could be swapped between the M9 and a 1911.

I love my 92FS, bought a IWB holster from Beretta for it and its pretty comfortable for me. It is a bit large and heavy but I make due. I have others that are smaller and easier to carry but I still use it atleast once a week. Plus with a bunch of pre ban mags it makes a great bedside firearm.

A little hijack here, but at least it's on the same topic! [smile] I just picked up a M9. Been looking at shoulder holsters for it. Seems there are a million variants out there. Can anyone recommend one? I'd love something modular that the holster part could be swapped between the M9 and a 1911.

I use the black hawk serpa shoulder rig, and can swap out the holster and mag holders for each gun in a couple mins

I carry one occasionally in a leather OWB holster. With a good belt it sits pretty tight to my side. It's the gun I am most familiar with and it is very accurate and reliable as long as it is cleaned regularly. I think the holster is a safari land, but don't really remember.

I had a Wolf trigger installed in mine and it helped with the first DA trigger pull a little. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

It's probably the heaviest gun I own but it's not that bad to carry. It's my go to when I have to travel through a shady area, but definitely a little heavy for a daily carry. Just my two cents

Last edited:

I have been happy with my Gould & Goodrich Model B804-92F

92FS has been my carry piece since a few days before sandy hook. I bought one at a gun show instead of an AR thinking, "oh I'll just buy an AR kit next week...". A few days later I was kicking myself. As far as OWB holsters, I use a Bianchi similar to this one...

161172366_bianchi-25214-101-foldaway-black-rh-concealment-holster-.jpg

I would argue that there is a world of difference between a 92 and a 1911 in that regard. The 1911 is much flatter and thinner making carrying concealed quite easy. Back in the day it was not uncommon to see old time detectives out in AZ and TX to employ border carry or Mexican carry with the 1911 simply shoved in the waistband of of pants sans holster. 92 is bulky and is a great holster pistol, was not designed for CCW which is why the .mil adopted the Sig Sauer P228 as the M11 for personnel who needed to carry concealed, investigators and such.

I bought a cheap OWB holster that I use when going to or at the range. One less gun to put in a carry case. It's fun to shoot, but too big for my EDC.

Back
Top Bottom