Beretta 92FS pistols

SKS Ray

NES Member
Don't know what it is about these guns but for some reason I want one.

I almost grabbed a 92F model today at the Marlboro show for $475 with 15 round mag but didn't and I'm not sure why. It had holster wear and original parts but something about just didn't say Buy Me.

I'm thinking mainly because I really don't know much about these guns except that I like the way they look.

I know a few people here have them so what is the difference between the 92F and 92FS?

Wikipedia said:
92FS

The FS has an enlarged hammer pin that fits into a groove on the underside of the slide. The main purpose is to retard the slide from flying off the frame to the rear if it cracks. This was in response to reported defective slides during US Military testing.

Apparently, not too much. Watch out for slide fractures.

I love my 92FS, was my first (and only,for now) handgun. I have maybe 1000 rounds throught it and I think I've only cleaned it once.

I know how you feel, Milsurps. Mine was part impulse, part knowing that I need to master it in case my life depends on it when I go on active duty. Still working on that, the trigger has a little too much takeup for my taste in SA.

I had one for a while and sold it, I regret doing so. The trigger was awful, the grip was huge, you can't out night sights on them, and I had some malfunctions.

But, I think they might be one of the best looking pistols ever made.

DSCF3870-1.jpg

Prettiest guns ever!

If they could just make the whole thing 25% thinner, it would be perfect. That's why I ended up selling mine and getting the M&P, the grip on the Beretta was just too chunky for me. If the M&P hadn't come out, I would probably have ended up looking at a Hi-Power. I have small hands.

Otherwise, the Beretta 92FS was one of the nicest pistols I have ever used. The way the whole top of the slide is open makes ejection very reliable I think

The thick grip is definitely the source of some of my issues with the 92FS, but the trigger is the main culprit, IMO.

I am love my 92F, the slide cracking problem was an issue with the early US made models and was attributed to a lower grade of steel which was corrected.
I have an early Italian made one, it has a nice smooth trigger and for me is the most accurate semi combat gun I have ever owned. I must have 5000 + rounds throught it and has never had a failure of any kind.

I'll give it that, mine has had no mechanical issues of any kind, it beats my M&P which has had one FTF (plus it had the defective magazine catch which I replaced)

They are also, in my limited opinion, the easiest gun to work on when it comes to upgrading and replacing things. They come apart so easily, and parts are so readily available.

I am constantly drawn to Berettas when I see them in the used case (even the little 84 that has no real purpose but is just a beautiful little gun)

I have am older 92S (round trigger guard) a new 92FS and a 9000s (that many people hate).

Between the 3, I have probably put 1000+ rounds of every type of econo ammo available through them in the last month and have yet to experience a FTF.

The 92 is big and may not be ideal for CCW but it is extremely easy to shoot and as accurate as I am out of the box.

My daily carry is a 92FS Inox. I originally bought it on impulse, but just fell in love with it. It just fits my hand perfectly. I like it better then any other semi auto that I have ever owned. In fact I am in the process of trading for a second one so that I will have a backup when I go to training seminars.

Actually, the 92FS has revolutionized my carry habits. I have always been a snubby guy for daily carry. Pocket carry was easy, especially at work. My story was that the clothes that I wear for work just were not condusive to OWB/IWB carry. Well, I was so enamored with the 92FS that I finally took Clint Smith's advice, altered my wardrobe a bit and stopped making excuses. At work I carry in a Milt Sparks SSII IWB with a vest or jacket and the rest of the time I use a Galco Conceallable OWB. My snubby is now a BUG.

My dad has the 92FS and it was his first pistol. I am only 16 and we shoot at the range twice a week every week. I like everything about this pistol except that because my hands are small, the gun is just too big. In order to shoot straight, I have to grip it incorrectly. That is the only reason I shoot the 1911 more.

Back in 93-94 before the big ban, I picked up a 92FS that had been converted to DAO for the St. Louis PD at Collectors, real cheap with 2 hi-caps. All I did was replace the bobbed hammer with a spurred one. It runs great, is all beaten up and won't choke at all.
I hardly ever carry it, never shoot it anymore but can't bear to sell it. The 92 is a way underrated gun. And the 9MM works. It's a great "beater" gun that's cheap to shoot. I guess if it ever breaks, Beretta will fix it.

Last edited:
Is the M9 a different color than the 92fs?

No, it's got a different grip, the front strap is checkered, the side of the frame says "M9 edition", it comes in cardboard instead of the plastic case, and this one is an M9A1 so it has a rail on the front. Otherwise, it's identical to the 92FS. I believe there are M9's in different colors though.

THe 92 is a very good pistol. Keep it relatively clean and lubed, use only Meg-car,MDS or Beretta Mags and you should have no issues. THe main Differece between an F and FS is the FS has a slide stop on the hammer pin. On an FS if the slide fractures it wont fly off the gun and hit you.

THats a stupid hollywood trick- If he was able to get the sldie,then why wouldnt he just take the whole gun? its stupid to take only part of a working gun,when you can have the whole thing. Beretta sells a modified take down lever if it bothers people that much or you can just grind the stock one down a bit.

I love my 92. I did the same thing....one of my first guns was a Taurus PT-99 (Beretta 92 clone with adjustable target sights). It is accurate and hefty, but has an absolutely terrible trigger. Then I shot a Beretta version and it was SO much better. Bought a 92FS black, Italian made. Trigger is excellent. Was in love, so I bought an M9A1 (with the rail). Nice!!!!! Now I want a Centurian so they can all share magazines.

Birdman

Back
Top Bottom