Beretta 92F semi auto pistols, at J&G, Used for $399

Beretta 92 - strike one
Slide mounted safety - strike two
Possible beat to crap gun for $50-$100 less than buying the same thing in better condition FTF - strike three

Pass.

Beretta 92 - strike one
Possible beat to crap gun for $50-$100 less than buying the same thing in better condition FTF - strike three

Pass.

Yeah, but if he buys it on the internet, at least he can skip all the gun shop/background check bull****. Get it shipped right to his house and such. I say GO FOR IT OP, DON'T LET THEM HOLD YOU DOWN!

Beretta 92 - strike one

Pass.

haters gonna hate. third point is a good one... you don't know what you're going to get.

Never held a Beretta. I like how the 92 looks. Might go to FS for a peek. My first priority now is a 22lr target pistol though.

Its a nice gun to hold, feels great. They even have a compact version of it for people with small hands.
But I have heard the trigger is shitty. So that's my turn off point. I need to test fire one before I go buy one.

I own one. And everyone who has shot it, including me, also love it. First pull is tough because it's double action (unless you rack the slide or thumb the hammer back) but every shot after that is single action. I get there are people who don't like them, but for a little more you can purchase one new. If you want a 92fs that's what I would recommend.

Its a nice gun to hold, feels great. They even have a compact version of it for people with small hands.
But I have heard the trigger is shitty. So that's my turn off point. I need to test fire one before I go buy one.

If you test fire one straight from the factory, you'll be disappointed. Try one with a "D" hammer spring and polished DA parts.

I would pass on those because of questionable wear and quality, and the fact that for a bit more you can buy lightly used from a member on here (and inspect in person), or just go new. I have wanted one of these for awhile now mainly because I have a Sub2k that uses the same mags so I thought it would be cool to have a matching sidearm for it.

Go on Gunbroker and do a little poking around. You will find these same surplus pistols listed for similar prices. See what a good/very good condition pistol actually looks like. You might not feel bad paying a little extra coin for a new one after this.

That said I have scored 3 pistols in fantastic shape from a surplus dealer in the past few months. Just look for a diamond in the rough...

Why no love for the safety? My S&W 4516 has one (it's also a decocker) and never had any issues with it.

I always used the the slide mounted safety as a decocker only, also much safer to have the safety down when putting the pistol into battery. This slide mounted safeties are bad frequently comes from the 1911 cognoscenti, disciples of the "Guru of Gunsite" because that's what the Great and Powerful Jeff said. A true warrior/ninja/operator/would never carry a DA auto pistol aka cruchenitcker i.e. solution to a non-existent problem et al. When people start spouting that crap, I know they are elitists and are either very good (about 5%) or very bad (95%) wannabes.

Word on the street is that a lot of mall security guards don't like slide mounted safeties.

4516 is a fine pistol BTW.

Last edited:
i like the 92.great feel to it ....have shot one and my buddy has one...its prob the next handgun I will get when the time comes :)

I always used the the slide mounted safety as a decocker only, also much safer to have the safety down when putting the pistol into battery. This slide mounted safeties are bad frequently comes from the 1911 cognoscenti, disciples of the "Guru of Gunsite" because that's what the Great and Powerful Jeff said. A true warrior/ninja/operator/would never carry a DA auto pistol aka cruchenitcker i.e. solution to a non-existent problem et al. When people start spouting that crap, I know they are elitists and are either very good (about 5%) or very bad (95%) wannabes.

Word on the street is that a lot of mall security guards don't like slide mounted safeties.

4516 is a fine pistol BTW.

People with big hands can easily re-engage the safety on a Beretta when racking the gun with their left hand. That's why people hate them.

This wouldn't suck so bad if the 92 was decock only. IF that was JUST a decock lever and not a safety most would not care about this issue. And Beretta, in their infinite wisdom, apparently makes it so that you cannot convert to decock only, you need a whole new freaking upper to do it. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Actually the 92G is de cock only as I recall. Never had that problem with the M9 that you describe because I have small hands.

Of course not everybody uses the slingshot technique to rack the slide either. I know some are very doctrinaire about this, and some instructors will have hissy fits if you use the slide stop instead, but it will avoid the problem you describe. Needless to say I'm a slide stop release person except when I'm in classes where instructors insist on the slingshot, and yes I know the arguments both pro and con.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
People with big hands can easily re-engage the safety on a Beretta when racking the gun with their left hand. That's why people hate them.

This wouldn't suck so bad if the 92 was decock only. IF that was JUST a decock lever and not a safety most would not care about this issue. And Beretta, in their infinite wisdom, apparently makes it so that you cannot convert to decock only, you need a whole new freaking upper to do it. [rolleyes]

-Mike

All 92G's and their variants were decock only. Made for US police contracts and foreign military sales in the 90s and early 2000s. They are hands down some of the best DA/SA guns ever made. Beretta stupidly decided to stop selling them because they feared the general public would get "confused" by the decocker/safety being replaced by the decocker and shoot themselves.

Allegheny Gun Works has figured out how to convert regular FS slides into G slides. Lot's of good reviews on Beretta-forum.net. I believe he is the only one out there who's doing this though

You either love them or hate them.
I don't care for them myself.
I can't get comfortable with the grip circumference, it's too big for my hand.
The DA pull is horrendous, the SA pull isn't great either.
My biggest gripe is with the loose chamber dimensions and non fully supported case head.
I know it's for reliability so it'll still function when full of crud, but if you're a reloader like me, you'll find the bulged brass is a bitch to deal with.

I love mine it is one of my favorites to shoot. I got mine is pre-ban and in very good shape and got it for a song of $350. Every other I have seen used in shops has been beat to S**T. call me crazy but I don't like buying stuff that has been raped by holsters all its life. I will happily pay $100 more for a gun with nice grips and bluing. But thats just me

Back
Top Bottom