• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta 84FS Failure to Feed

My brand new Beretta 84FS is having continual failures to feed on SIG .380 FMJ rounds.
Once the spent case ejects the next round looks like it's getting stuck against the feed ramp.
I've put 250 rounds through it so far and between the first 200 and the next 50 I've cleaned and lubed it just to rule that out as being the culprit.
I don't want to have to deal with sending it into Beretta for warranty work but I may contact them tomorrow.
Any ideas in the meantime as to what may be causing this malfunction?
Also, it happens when I manually rack the slide back and try to chamber a round as well but not usually when I use the slide release.
They're brand new mags too.
Thank you!

I have owned a number of the Cheetah series of pistol in .380 ACP and found it to be a reliable platform. I've compared it to a number of hammer-fired pistols in .380, like the CZ83, the Colt Government, and the Walther PPK/S, as well as striker-fired pistols like the Glock 42, and found the Cheetahs superior to them all. The Cheetah has a great sight radius, a legitimate 3-finger grip, and a good set of controls (if a safety-decocker works for you). If you set aside the caliber wars, and like using the .380 ACP round, then the Cheetahs (84FS, 85FS) are IMO a very attractive option - accurate, reliable, and a great fit in the hand. The ONLY shortcoming that I have found, other than that STIFF recoil spring, is that they don't "eat" anything you feed them. Though in my experience they eat ALMOST everything you feed them, they don't like FMJ cartridges with blunt-nosed bullets, like the Sig and WWB, and you WILL experience failures to chamber. I think you need to decide whether the Sig cartridge is so important to you that it's worth returning the pistol to the factory in search of a fix, and dealing with that hassle, versus just learning to love some other brand with a more contoured nose of the bullet and never looking back. It will fire just about any other kind of FMJ cartridge (S&B, Fiocchi, RWS, BlazerBrass, UMC, et al) very reliably.

That is exactly the answer that I was hoping to hear, thank you for replying so quickly.
As far as HP rounds, are there any that you’ve found to work reliably too? Hornady is one that I can get easily from my local shop.
I’ll try some different FMJ ammo and report back.
Thanks!

I've never had any issues with mine.
Is the slide nearly impossible to rack? (It's supposed to be) If it's easy for you, maybe the spring is weak?

As for JHP, both my 84FS and the 85FS have been VERY reliable with Hornady CD with the FTX bullet. It's easy to get and also gets great reviews.

I ran another 200 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ through it about an hour ago, while I did have some failures to feed it was nowhere near what I had with the SIG ammo. It also did fail less and less the more I shot, I think it too does have something to do with needing to break in.
After a good clean and lube tonight I think it’ll be as reliable as a Beretta should be.

You will find the Fiocchi to be among the snappier of the .380 FMJ loads, though in my experience it's been very reliable. S&B has proven to be a lighter recoil and also very reliable.

Back
Top Bottom