• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beretta 391 Trap Stock fitting

Hello

I am just start getting into trap and have Beretta 319 Trap. Do you have any recommendation for stock fitting and patterning? The LOP seems a bit long, but want to have an expert to help. Hoping to add an adjustable LOP pad, but not sure if it is worth the money.

Thank you!

Go to your local Club, and talk to some Trapezoids that know what they're doing. You say you're "just getting into" - are you new to shotties, or just to Trap?

Or, at home: Close your eyes, and shoulder the gun. Then open. If you're (mostly) looking down the barrel correctly, you should be good to go, fit-wise.

Patterning: At the Club, set up a large paper target at ~35 yards. Most people, especially starting out, don't hit birds much closer. Paint the edge view of a clay target, not a circle in the center. Take a shot, and see. Repeat a couple of times, as each shot is different. If you have a few holes in the "clay", and the pattern seems centered, you're good to go.

As for Length of pull, if it doesn't beat the crap out of you recoil-wise, then you're close enough.

If you're just starting out, practice of the fundamentals (stance, swing, follow-through) is more important than the "perfect" fit. Have an experienced Trap shooter watch you for a couple of rounds, and see if they notice anything strange.

The point of aim is critical in trap shooting. Trap clays continue to climb upwards at 41 mph after you pull the trigger so trap guns have the combs adjusted to shoot high. I set a target divided into 1 inch squares at 13 yards, 1/3 third the average distance that a trap target is taken 40 yards. I shoot a full choke at the target and use a tripod as a rest for my forward hand. I've been doing this with my youth team for 7 years.

Raising the comb raises the point of aim. Set the comb to shoot 2-3 inches high at 13 yards. If you don't have an adjustable comb use this slip on:

http://www.amazon.com/Comb-Raising-Kit-Loops-Model/dp/B01F6C9GMY

If you want the details read this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...sg=AFQjCNGl16HO9uxP8wu7VtPRjeQpCnL9Yw&cad=rja

Mr Happy, you want to read that one.

Thank you all for the advices - The key message seems to be "practices"!

I went to trap shooting today and got 15,17 and ,18 in three rounds. This is better than my first time - I think that I got only 5-10 per round. I had a great gentleman as a "coach" at the club today who walked me through one round.

Since my miserable first time, I have been to reading about shooting techniques, trying to focus on the birds, not the sight, etc.

I also put on a thinner butt pad, which reduces the LOP probably by probably 1/2". I did not check patterns today, but will check next week.

When I mount the gun, my nose to the thumb is about 2 a 2.5", which I thought may be a big long. But I will go to range a few more times With current butt pad.

With regard to what is "right", what works for you is "right".

I shoot a field gun (Browning A5 or S&W 1000), for Trap. I might gain a couple percentage points on my average if I messed around with a dedicated Trap gun....but going from ~90% to 92% is not going to get me the State title. [laugh] And, I like the fact that I can always find my gun among the Kreighoffs and Perazzis! [laugh]

If you find a good stance, mount the gun correctly (the bird breaks) every time consistently, and follow through with your swing....then, it's practice.

I'm surprised they let you put your guns in with their Kreighoffs & Perazzis.[laugh]

With regard to what is "right", what works for you is "right".

I shoot a field gun (Browning A5 or S&W 1000), for Trap. I might gain a couple percentage points on my average if I messed around with a dedicated Trap gun....but going from ~90% to 92% is not going to get me the State title. [laugh] And, I like the fact that I can always find my gun among the Kreighoffs and Perazzis! [laugh]

If you find a good stance, mount the gun correctly (the bird breaks) every time consistently, and follow through with your swing....then, it's practice.

Start here
https://support.remington.com/General_Information/Trap_Shooting_Fundamentals_Handbook
When you catch the bug and can't seem to bust that 22 dead bird mark then look into Winston pattern testing linked above and make sure your lead is going where it should be. Then you can move onto gun fit.
I love the 391 great gun but if you get the trap bug you might find yourself wanting a different gun.
If your set on keeping the 391 Coles is a fine choice to go and have a fitting session and maybe have adjustable comb and adjustable pad put on.
Or one of these set ups. I know several people who had work done by Ken. Very nice.
http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/

If your still looking to get fitted or have a custom adjustable pad put on... Check out Sergey in Natick, MA. http://www.rustbluing.com He knows his stuff, when it comes to shotguns.

He did a fitting for a friend of mine, who wound up changing the front site, added a center bead andput on a really nice adjustable pad. Looks great. He also did a fantastic job fixing two cracks in the fancy wood of my 70's era 870TC Trap.

Hello

I am just start getting into trap and have Beretta 319 Trap. Do you have any recommendation for stock fitting and patterning? The LOP seems a bit long, but want to have an expert to help. Hoping to add an adjustable LOP pad, but not sure if it is worth the money.

Thank you!

Did you buy the gun new? Do you have the Beretta shims that are included with the gun?

A 391 is one of the most user friendly guns when it comes to adjustments.

Understanding how the shim system works, and where you might need to move it is not overly complicated.

Find another accomplished shooter with a 391 and they can walk you through it in 10 minutes or less.

I'd be happy to help if you in the Sharon/Stoughton area.

Did you buy the gun new? Do you have the Beretta shims that are included with the gun?

A 391 is one of the most user friendly guns when it comes to adjustments.

Understanding how the shim system works, and where you might need to move it is not overly complicated.

Find another accomplished shooter with a 391 and they can walk you through it in 10 minutes or less.

I'd be happy to help if you in the Sharon/Stoughton area.

Thank you all for suggestions! I will look into them.

I have also called Sergey, and probably will pay him a visit sometimes after A few more trips. I went through several review of his work from NES posts here.

The 391 is a trap gun (Teknys Gold) with an adjustable comb. I noticed my mounting is not idea as I had minor sore on my arm, not shoulder after shooting. I currently have the thinnest Beretta pad (0.51") on the stock. It comes with Gel-Tek Pad.

I also just start looking to the shim and trying to under how it works. I bought the gun used, but I have an extra one in the case. I will learn more about it.

Back
Top Bottom