Bent decapping pins

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
I am new to this and I have bent 3 decapping pins recently
I’m using a Lee single stage press and Lee dies.
After about 2k rounds, my first pin bent. Then I bought replacements and just bent 2 (after about 500 more)
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.
any suggestions?

michael

It’s not berdan primes brass is it? Look inside to 2 little offset holes vs one in the middle.
I can’t tell because I can’t get the primer out at all. I even tried to use a hammer and a punch and it’s not budging. the inside of the case almost looks like a solid piece of metal along the bottom
When I was De-priming, I didn’t have my glasses on so I never even looked inside the case

Just asking , is it adjusted so it's just poking the primer out or is it buried in the dye so the whole pin goes thru the primer hole till it bottoms out?
No it was definitely seated right, I ran into that issue previously and it took me a little bit to figure out why the primer wasn’t popping out. But it was like you suggested, buried in the die. But that wasn’t the issue today

I been reloading for a bit and did a bunch on my Lee Hand loader and broke many pins. Once I move to a Lee turret press all my broken pins went away. Hope that helps.

FYI
That stuff primed with the pink loctite or whatever it is will also be problematic.
I have broken a couple of 223 decapping pins with the primer encased around with the pink
These were also validated as boxer primed

FYI
That stuff primed with the pink loctite or whatever it is will also be problematic.
I have broken a couple of 223 decapping pins with the primer encased around with the pink
These were also validated as boxer primed
Thank you. I will look out for them

If you're meeting with resistance popping them, somethings amiss as it shouldn't take much pressure at all. You may also want to be on the lookout for a universal decapping die. I use a Lymans on my single stage to remove the primers, it has a hardened steel rod. Besides not being totally out of luck if I mess up my resizing die rod, it keeps a lot of the residue out of my die. As a rule when I get dies for a new caliber, I'll grab a couple spare rods to go with them though I haven't bent one in years. Their inexpensive and hey, it happens but it's nice to have a spare or two on hand instead of waiting around for a new one. Just something to think about.

Looks like berdan primed brass to me. Scrap that shit. And check the remaining brass you have.

This, if its really 9mm theres no reason to be using anything other than WIN, GFL, FED, R-P, starline, Speer, CCI, couple others maybe.

This is also the reason when I loaded, I sorted brass, by headstamp, regardless of caliber. You could weed junk like that out before it even got to your
press. People make a big deal out of it but it doesnt even take that long. Get a couple beers, put on some music and just do it, next thing you know an hour or so
later you've sorted a shitload of brass.

Back
Top Bottom