• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Benelli Rolls Out MR 1 Carbine

ACCOKEEK, Md. -- Benelli's latest consumer offering--the MR 1 rifle--uses the ARGO (Auto-Regulating-Gas-Operated) system developed for the M1014 rifle used by the United States Marine Corps.

The MR 1, chambered for 5.56mm NATO (.223 Rem.), has military-style aperture sights adjustable for windage and elevation in the field, using only a cartridge rim. A Picatinny rail allows mounting of both conventional and night-vision sights, while retaining metallic-sight capability.

All steel parts are black phosphated, and aluminum parts are hard-anodized in a matte finish for low visibility and corrosion resistance.

The Benelli MR 1 carbine comes standard with a five-round magazine, and can also accept standard M16 magazines. An optional Picatinny tri-rail forend kit is available for mounting a laser aiming device, front handle, illuminator and other accessories.

The MR 1 features a stainless steel, self-cleaning piston that operates directly against the rotating bolt. This piston-driven ARGO system incorporates a gas port located just forward of the chamber where the gases are hotter and cleaner, resulting in less fouling and more reliable cycling, the company says.

http://www.gunreports.com/news/long_guns/Benelli-MR-1-Carbine-ARGO-M1014_1443-1.html

that looks really cool. I thought at first the article said they were making an M1 carbine, which would be also very cool :)

Benelli ergonomics are usually amazing. Their shotguns just seem to want to jump into the ready position, take down very easily with no tools, and are tough as nails. I'm curious about this rifle as well.

I just read an article in Petersons Hunting where they shot 87,000+ rounds over a week or so in Argentina through one new Benelli Vinci. That spells tough to me.

I get the cold shoulder when I dare suggest a Benelli SuperNova Tactical over a Remington 870 and Mossberg 500...it seems almost blasphemy. In my experience however, the SNT is light-years ahead of both and I have a feeling this rifle will be another example of Benelli innovation....Just my 2 pennies...

I just read an article in Petersons Hunting where they shot 87,000+ rounds over a week or so in Argentina through one new Benelli Vinci. That spells tough to me.

I saw the shoot on TV --wish I could remember what channel -- I thought it was a three day weekend shoot. Anyway, I believe it was Doves they were shooting from a hunting lodge. Apparently no bag limit in Argentina. The ground was red with shells. There were three (four perhaps?) writers that were shooting / evaluating the Vinci. Each writer had a choice of either doing their own reloading or having one of the Benelli people insert new rounds. Most appeared to have someone else load for them, but it was an amazingly quick process to watch! A shooter would empty three, flip the Vinci sideways, in goes three new rounds and boom...boom...boom, down goes a few more birds. No sore shoulders for anyone...except maybe the shell cleanup crew.

Speaking of which, all the doves went to a local church where they were cooked to feed a large orphanage.

I never gauge rifles on looks - I reserve that for cars and supermodels. What I gauge a weapon on is fit, form, function - form being more ergonomics than aesthetics. This rifle resembles a Benelli M4 Tactical or SuperNova Tactical. I happen to like the way they look, but more importantly, shouldering one puts them into a whole new league in my book. Anyone who has actually shouldered and fired a Benelli shotgun or rifle, (not just guessing based on a photo), may indeed agree with my assessment. However, everyone is different and no gun is perfect. I have quite a bit of Benelli trigger time - from SNT, to M4, to Super 90 and their excellent R1 .308 and absolutely love them. Frankly, I could care less if it looks like a beauty - I care if it sends lead downrange accurately, reliably and quickly. I care about how the gun feels in my hands and comes to ready. I care about it's durability, innovation and whether or not it makes me grin while I'm smelling burnt gunpowder and lacing a target with copper-jacketed goodness....The $1200.00 price-point is moot. MSRP is nothing more than a guide and this gun will likely be priced well within the realm of often-inflated AR-15's and if the performance, reliability, utility and accuracy is better out of the box, then it will be well worth the greenbacks.

Beauty certainly is in the eye of the beholder, but to me the real beauty happens when the trigger is pulled....

Back
Top Bottom