• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Benelli M4 - MA legal?

John2006

NES Member
Hey all,

Our dopey laws and shotguns always confuse me... As a Class A ltc holder, is the Benelli M4 with pistol grip and folding stock MA legal or is it one of those super evil killy "assault shotguns" which the leaders of our fair commonwealth in their infinite wisdom chose to ban?

Thanks in advance

Hey all,

Our dopey laws and shotguns always confuse me... As a Class A ltc holder, is the Benelli M4 with pistol grip and folding stock MA legal or is it one of those super evil killy "assault shotguns" which the leaders of our fair commonwealth in their infinite wisdom chose to ban?

Thanks in advance
Save your money. A friend had one and had problems with it. He traded it for a Remington 11-87 and has been happy ever since. Just a though. Does not matter how tricked-out a thunderstick is. Reliability is the most important factor.

Pretty sure that it being semi auto And having a pistol grip And having a folding stock make it an evil killy "assault shotgun". If it only had one of the extras, a pistol grip with a fixed stock for example, it would magically be legal. (I think)

Pretty sure that it being semi auto And having a pistol grip And having a folding stock make it an evil killy "assault shotgun". If it only had one of the extras, a pistol grip with a fixed stock for example, it would magically be legal. (I think)
Excellent, cost-effective tactical shotgun? Remington offers the 870 tactical, with fixed stock, extended 6-round magazine tube, and a ventilated breaching screw-in choke. Excellent scattergun. Own one myself and the performance is excellent!

Do you mean folding stock as in the spas-12 or telecoping stock like an a.r?.........I have seen the latter but havent seen a benelli folder before.

a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'“

So yes, pistol grip + folding stock = AW.

Hey all,

Thanks in advance

LetsGoToPrison01.jpg

A magazine holding more than 5 rounds would be one more evil feature, so if you have a pistol grip you're limited to a 5 round magazine.

I have a tristar tec-12 its a clone of the m3 benelli, it semi auto/pump action, but because of the semi auto feature its limited to a 5 round mag tube because it has a pistol grip but with a solid stock, by law you cant have both, i do like the pistol grips

Law on semi auto shot guns

Pulled from the goal web page

The definition of “assault weapon”
is the same as the federal law that went into effect on September 13, 1994. Specific guns are banned by name, and guns with certain combinations of features are banned:
a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'“

A “large capacity weapon” is basically any firearm, rifle or shotgun that is semi-automatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device or that is capable of accepting any detachable large capacity feeding device; or an “assault weapon.”

Last edited:
I have a tristar tec-12 its a clone of the m3 benelli, it semi auto/pump action, but because of the semi auto feature its limited to a 5 round mag tube because it has a pistol grip but with a solid stock, by law you cant have both, i do like the pistol grips

I did too until I tried to reload it quickly, and I found that the pistol grip got in the way.

I though if it doesn't have a detachable mag that its ok?

The detachable mag prerequisite only applies to rifles and pistols. For shotguns, a detachable mag actually counts as an "evil feature", and is not a prerequisite to being an AW.

I did too until I tried to reload it quickly, and I found that the pistol grip got in the way.

I hear ya, but thats the the best part about firearms of today, there is so much you can to to them to make them your own and fit you personally,

I havent had a problem with reloading mine with the pistol grip, i kinda just got used to it being there

The M4 isn't sold In the US with the skeleton collapsible stock, only to police. It goes against import laws or something I tried forever to find one I was told you have to have a armorer install the stock after you purchase it. There made in Italy and imported so there's regulations against it or some Mumbai jumbo.

It is MA legal as long as you don't have the collapsing stock. A regular M4 comes with a fixed stock, pistol grip and 5 round tube so it is ok. If you add the stock its illegal and if you extend the tube to 7 it is illegal. They cycle anything and everything without fuss.

Back
Top Bottom