Benelli M3 opinions

hessy

NES Member
Hi folks, I saw a Benelli M3 here in MA, new. Looks like a neat shotgun that can fire anything with a switch from auto to pump and back. Barrel length about 20 inches, so it is a home defense shotgun, but probably can be used with slugs if the barrel is rifled. Fit and finish looked first rate. The guy was asking $1300 though. Does anyone on the Forum own one and if yes, is it a good one for this kind of money?
Here is the picture:

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m3.php

I am certainty not an expert in shotguns and in fact shot skeet many years ago with Remington 1100 and did not own a shotgun for years, if that matters. Would an M3 be a good choice to have for an only shotgun?
TIA

Last edited:
m3s really are pretty awesome. But, as you have found out really expensive. My understanding is that this was designed for police/military where having a mix of shells high power and low in the tube at the same time is a possibility. the gun would be kept on semi unless there was a low power shell in the tube that would not cycle the action. Or, more realistically, where the person could always use the same gun. But if they were in a situation where they were to use only low powered rounds they could use it as a pump.

So, they are very cool, expensive and heavy. If you can afford it, it would be really neat to have. For that kind of money, you could probably get a used semi and a new pump.

Overly complex, overly heavy, and overly expensive. If you want a pump, get a pump. If you want a semi-auto, get a semi-auto. I would not want to be in the middle of a gunfight with a shotgun that I thought was set to semi-auto suddenly start being a pump because I bumped into a piece of furniture.

If you have to have a benelli, buy a used M1.

Overly complex, overly heavy, and overly expensive. If you want a pump, get a pump. If you want a semi-auto, get a semi-auto. I would not want to be in the middle of a gunfight with a shotgun that I thought was set to semi-auto suddenly start being a pump because I bumped into a piece of furniture.

If you have to have a benelli, buy a used M1.

I am not sure I fully agree with this. But, I would personally opt for an M1 Super 90 over the M3.

Thanks. I also think M3 is overly complex for a HD shotgun. I do not want a pump. What about Benelli M2? It is about 0.3 lb lighter and $200 less expensive. Field model is available with barrel lengths from 21 to 30 inches. It is a semi-auto. I wonder if anyone can convey personal experience with it. About price, I can spend about 1K for the only shotgun to have. I can shoot skeet and use it as HD. I held Mossberg 935 in a shop and was not impressed, compared to Benelli.
TIA

Thanks. I also think M3 is overly complex for a HD shotgun. I do not want a pump. What about Benelli M2? It is about 0.3 lb lighter and $200 less expensive. Field model is available with barrel lengths from 21 to 30 inches. It is a semi-auto. I wonder if anyone can convey personal experience with it. About price, I can spend about 1K for the only shotgun to have. I can shoot skeet and use it as HD. I held Mossberg 935 in a shop and was not impressed, compared to Benelli.
A 21" barrel is not usable for skeet. A 30" barrel is very suboptimal for HD. Check out the cost of a second barrel for the Benelli -- I bet it will be quite pricey.

Personally, I would prefer ghost ring sights for an HD shotgun, which wouldn't work for a skeet gun.

Nothing wrong with a M3 Super90. It should run 100% in semiauto with 00 buck as long as you dont bump your shoulder into something and mess up the inertia. So what it's a little heavy? Do some pushups. Heavy is a good thing for a shotty unless you're going to be walking a lot. You get the benefit of semi auto for super fast follow up shots, but can still pump it to make the bad guys crap their pants. Plus it's uber cool, and you'll get mad internets points for buying it and posting pictures.

Yes, the extra barrel on Benelli is about $450. I do not know... although these are extra cool shotguns, you guys do not sound convincing for a shotgun newbie.

My cousin has the M3 and I've shot it. I well remember his confusion on the range when he tried to pump it but it was on auto, or he thought it was on auto and had to pump it. I just didn't (and still don't) see the point.

That's what I see at most every practical shotgun match. Also, the M3's are a bit picky when it
comes to lighter shot loads and light sport slugs (i.e. Brenneke K.O.) in semi mode.
I decided for a Rem 870 Marine Magnum for a pump and a used Super 90 M1 for the semi matches
and am very happy I did so.
The M1 eats most every load flawlessly, with the exception of 1 oz. subsonic shotshells.

TIA

Just curious. But, is there any particular reason you want a semi for HD? IMO, for a dedicated HD gun, and especially one that may have to be accessed by a person other yourself, wife, children, etc. I would probably opt for the most basic and intuitive mechanism possible.

But, if you have your mind set on a semi. I would look at an 18-20" cylinder bbl. An M1 or M2 is great, but very expensive choice. You could probably find a good A5 or 1100, or moss semi for a lot less..

Back
Top Bottom