Benelli M1 Tactical vs M4?

I could help you with your dilemma, lol. If you decide to sell, let me know.

Pretty sure I settled on the M4. Now, do I go with the pistol grip and get stuck with 5 rounds or go with the non-pistol grip and get 7 rounds? The laws in this state drive me nuts. I’ll probably go with the pistol grip.

This question may depend on your age as well, I obv don’t know how old you are but when I was younger I had no issues at all firing shotguns with pistol grips, but as I’m getting older I find them to be pretty jarring to my wrist afterwards as opposed to the more natural positioning of a standard stock.

Might just be me cuz I’m wracked with old injuries, but I’d go old stock and be happy with the extra rounds as well. Either way enjoy it, beautiful gun. 👍🏻

This question may depend on your age as well, I obv don’t know how old you are but when I was younger I had no issues at all firing shotguns with pistol grips, but as I’m getting older I find them to be pretty jarring to my wrist afterwards as opposed to the more natural positioning of a standard stock.

I am youngish and don't like pistol grips on shotguns. I don't get the stock into the shoulder with a pistol grip the same as I do with traditional stock and so my wrist takes more of the recoil. I realize some training would adjust this but I just prefer the traditional stock.

Last edited:
I have an M2 and love it. Funny thing is its a great upland gun. With the long semi-auto receiver its about as long as an over/under with 26" barrels. It points great. Ha.

I'm not a fudd , not at all. But shotguns are for shooting at moving things. I've owned Saigas. I just don't get any joy out of shooting at milk jugs with a shotgun. So any gun I have has to also be good for either busting clays or killing birds.
As a fudd. I would like to offer you a free membership to Associated Fuddly Fudds of America. Your free Fuddly Fudd magazine will arrive monthly and keep you informed of all fuddly event's in your area like the Wednesday night all fudd round polishing circle and clog dance. Come gather with all your fuddly buddys for an evening of fellowship. On Saturdays we offer a boiled linseed oil rub gathering for all you wood stock fudds. We talk about shooting, but after applying our linseed oil. We usually fall face first into our coffee having fell into a sound sleep from the exertion of protecting our beloved walnut. Sunday is a lot of fun, we all drive our 74 Ford Ranger XLT's down to the drive-in where they specially screen for just AFFA members, our beloved founder Elmer's greatest works in his constant battle with his foes the rabbit and the duck. I forgot about Friday night what a blast it is! We all gather together and wear our favorite hunting hats and tell funny stories. You are being extended this offer due to your public fuddliness denial "I'm not a fudd , not at all." It is believed at AFFA that such denials are the harbinger of full on straight up fuddliness.

So come out and join us we have long since given up feeling superior since there is no need as we have been there and done that. Bring money cause at AFFA the new guy buy's.

Now you guys really got me rethinking the pistol grip, even though it does look cool. I don’t plan on breaching doors any time soon or shooting one handed. Will probably stick with the traditional stock

Mother Deuce, thank you for your invite.

I would be happy to attend your FUDDilicious happening. Wondering if I can be a heretic and bring a fake M14 (M1A). Also, you should know that my Benelli M1 has a plastic stock. Its crazy. I won't even keep it in the same safe as my Parker or Beretta for fear that it will offend them.

Lastly, while it may be important to accept FUDDly proclivities, I am still not a fudd.

I believe in the right of pretty much anyone to own anything for any reason, without Government interference. That itself should be enough to disqualify me. Also, at one point in time, I was ranked Expert in IDPA's SSP division. I know. FUDDS will be wondering why anyone would need to shoot that fast or carry that many magazines.

Finally, at one point, before children, when I had more money and time, I shot 3 gun a bit. Which means I did use a shotgun to shoot at steel. Texas Stars even. Although they can take some comfort in the fact that I shot it with a vintage Rem 1100 Special Trap with hand rubbed oiled walnut stocks. (the long bbl and tight choke actually makes it a great 3 gun gun with nothing more than an extended mag tube)

As a 3 gun shooter, I did shoot a plastic and aluminum AR. Another factor against me for membership in AFFA. ;-)

Here is a funny fuddy video. After pheasant hunting with my side by side double, I stopped at the plate racks to practice with my Glock. Dressed in Orange. Ha.

And here's the obligatory, dog, bird, gun photo

.20181107_154332342_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Now you guys really got me rethinking the pistol grip, even though it does look cool. I don’t plan on breaching doors any time soon or shooting one handed. Will probably stick with the traditional stock

Pistol grip is stupid even for a "tactical" shotgun because it makes it much harder to reload quickly.

Seriously. The only place for a pistol grip gun is if you are in a squad of military guys or cops who can cover you while you (slowly) reload, or in a turkey blind.

A traditional stock allows you to easily flip the gun over and reload much more quickly.

Mother Deuce, thank you for your invite.

I would be happy to attend your FUDDilicious happening. Wondering if I can be a heretic and bring a fake M14 (M1A). Also, you should know that my Benelli M1 has a plastic stock. Its crazy. I won't even keep it in the same safe as my Parker or Beretta for fear that it will offend them.

Lastly, while it may be important to accept FUDDly proclivities, I am still not a fudd.

I believe in the right of pretty much anyone to own anything for any reason, without Government interference. That itself should be enough to disqualify me. Also, at one point in time, I was ranked Expert in IDPA's SSP division. I know. FUDDS will be wondering why anyone would need to shoot that fast or carry that many magazines.

Finally, at one point, before children, when I had more money and time, I shot 3 gun a bit. Which means I did use a shotgun to shoot at steel. Texas Stars even. Although they can take some comfort in the fact that I shot it with a vintage Rem 1100 Special Trap with hand rubbed oiled walnut stocks. (the long bbl and tight choke actually makes it a great 3 gun gun with nothing more than an extended mag tube)

As a 3 gun shooter, I did shoot a plastic and aluminum AR. Another factor against me for membership in AFFA. ;-)

Here is a funny fuddy video. After pheasant hunting with my side by side double, I stopped at the plate racks to practice with my Glock. Dressed in Orange. Ha.

And here's the obligatory, dog, bird, gun photo

.View attachment 325092

Now I have to re access my fuddliness as my 20 has those 3 15's and the AR 10 with the 30's ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!! I must find a duck to commune with ....

I have an M2 and love it. Funny thing is its a great upland gun. With the long semi-auto receiver its about as long as an over/under with 26" barrels. It points great. Ha.

I'm not a fudd , not at all. But shotguns are for shooting at moving things. I've owned Saigas. I just don't get any joy out of shooting at milk jugs with a shotgun. So any gun I have has to also be good for either busting clays or killing birds.
I've busted plenty of clays with my Saiga12.

Another point I skipped over - the m4 has interchangeable chokes. The m1, also m3, you're stuck with a cylinder barrel. Now this thread has me thinking about the m4 h2o. Dammit

Another point I skipped over - the m4 has interchangeable chokes. The m1, also m3, you're stuck with a cylinder barrel. Now this thread has me thinking about the m4 h2o. Dammit

Are you just referring to the 18.5” barrels? My 26” M1 field barrel had chokes.

I have an M2 Tactical. I’m happy. added a few TTI parts to it. Loading gate is a must.

The M4 was over budget as I maybe shoot 3-5 3-gun matches with it a year. The the M2 was a good compromise. Sold a Mossburg 930 that was not working for me. Great upgrade.

Plus I think I can just grab a field barrel and hit the clay fields.
Benelli's are great guns. Mossberg has a new gun out to replace the 930 and it's supposed to have dealt with the problems of the 930 and will be eventually offered in other configurations.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4tOMRJJHeg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hciKzAycXbE

Now eyeing the ‘3 gun’ Benelli M2’s, even though I don’t even shoot 3 gun. Thoughts on a 21” barrel for a 12 ga? I know it is not ideal for shooting flying things, but I am thinking it would be OK. The newer 24” models are a bit more $.

Can you explain? What was the issue with the Mossbergs?

Mine (930 Tactical) jammed all the time. I wish I had a video from the first and last 3-Gun I took it to... It was a disaster. Heard similar stories from others.

Some people love them. Maybe it was a lemon. But, there was no way I could go back to one.

Now eyeing the ‘3 gun’ Benelli M2’s, even though I don’t even shoot 3 gun. Thoughts on a 21” barrel for a 12 ga? I know it is not ideal for shooting flying things, but I am thinking it would be OK. The newer 24” models are a bit more $.

I shoot birds with my 21" Benelli M2. Its interesting but its the same length as my double gun with 26" barrels. I really like it. Its my standard wet weather upland bird hunting gun.

Mine (930 Tactical) jammed all the time. I wish I had a video from the first and last 3-Gun I took it to... It was a disaster. Heard similar stories from others.

Some people love them. Maybe it was a lemon. But, there was no way I could go back to one.

That's why the new Jerry Miculek model is the 940. I don't know how much different it is than the 930. But I'm sure they went through things with a fine toothed comb.

Back
Top Bottom