Benelli M1 Tactical vs M4?

Shopping for a Benelli tactical shotgun. Thoughts on the M1 (inertia) vs M4 (gas)?

I have only ever shot an M1 and am curious how it would compare. Wondering if I should save up a few more bucks for the M4. Thanks!

M1 Super90 that is the way to go. You will.never run into a gas problem and popyou can easily respring for light loads. The spring is really available and easy to install. This shotgun is the fasted I have ever shot you can fire 8 rounds before the first casing hits the ground

I have an M4, it's unbelievable and I'd highly recommend one. Never had a problem with any loads and I've shot bird, buck and slug.

The early HK import M1 super 90 were the best.
Ghost load for the win.

For current production I would go with an M2 in 21” and add an extended tube.

Last edited:
I had the M2 which I think is the inertial action shotgun, and it was well made, but it was really difficult to load, the spring on the loading gate was ridiculously stiff. Also
the recoil was not reduced as much as I expected. I ended up going back to using a Remington 870 with the Knoxx recoil reducing stock, and selling the Benelli because
it was an expensive toy that I couldn't justify and couldn't load without my thumb getting bruised.

The M1 Super 90 is crazy fun to shoot. If I could afford the M4 then I probably would have gone with that instead. I bought my M1 for about $700, much less than the M4 at $1500+, about three or four years ago.

Is the M1 still in production? I thought the M2 replaced it. If you have the luxury of choosing then why not go the M4?

I've got an 1187. Not a Benelli for sure. Here's what I know: You can't run 4 rounds of Trap or something through that gun and have it cycle well. It gets bogged down over time in the gas system. You gotta take it down and clean it.

For Tack-Tickle situations, this may not be an issue. But con-gas>gas in "stuff to break" competition.

THAT said - get what you want. For a tactical shotgun there won't be much of a difference.

EDIT - holdup. Am I reading Gunbroker right? The M4 is $1,000 more???? That would seal the deal for me.

If in mass the M1 is available in pre ban "hi cap)". You're limited with the m4 capacity. The m1 doesn't like optics, shell carriers or other accessories

The M1 Super 90 is crazy fun to shoot. If I could afford the M4 then I probably would have gone with that instead. I bought my M1 for about $700, much less than the M4 at $1500+, about three or four years ago.

Is the M1 still in production? I thought the M2 replaced it. If you have the luxury of choosing then why not go the M4?

As you pointed out, M4 is twice the cost. Wondering if it is worth it. Plus if I can find an early pre ban M1 I could go over 5 rounds in the mag which would be a nice bonus.

I have a M1 hi cap... I have never re sprung it. I have shot trap loads consistently. It runs buck and slugs. It does not malfunction.
It runs as consistently as any of my Glocks. If the chips were to be down... it is a go to tool. I have rifle sights. My old one had ghost ring.
Out of the two, I preferred the ghost ring arrangement.

I had a M1 field gun and it shot everything. Based on what I read in the inter webs, the tactical M1 has different (harder) springs in them and do not like light loads. Anyone have this experience before?

This is making me lean towards the M4. I want to be able to shoot anything and supposedly they were designed to do that.

My m1 tactical doesnt have any issues with light target shells to heavy slugs. Unreliable they are not.

If you want to dress it up with a side saddle shell carrier, a holo or red dot sight or anything else go with the m4. The inertia guns *might* handle one accessory but they're not really designed to. The m4 is. I wanted the capacity in mass so the option was a pre ban m1. If the price doesnt scare you and the low capacity isnt an issue, the m4 is a great defense shotgun.
Oddball suggestion - the m3 with a folding stock

My m1 tactical doesnt have any issues with light target shells to heavy slugs. Unreliable they are not.

If you want to dress it up with a side saddle shell carrier, a holo or red dot sight or anything else go with the m4. The inertia guns *might* handle one accessory but they're not really designed to. The m4 is. I wanted the capacity in mass so the option was a pre ban m1. If the price doesnt scare you and the low capacity isnt an issue, the m4 is a great defense shotgun.
Oddball suggestion - the m3 with a folding stock
I have heard that about carriers. I have a 6 round carrier and it is not an issue. Perhaps if is how the carrier is installed.

I have an M2 Tactical. I’m happy. added a few TTI parts to it. Loading gate is a must.

The M4 was over budget as I maybe shoot 3-5 3-gun matches with it a year. The the M2 was a good compromise. Sold a Mossburg 930 that was not working for me. Great upgrade.

Plus I think I can just grab a field barrel and hit the clay fields.

Last edited:
I have a M4 with about 10 rounds through it, original box. Smooth shooting and fast cycling. Every time I think about selling it, I just can’t, beautiful shotgun.

I could help you with your dilemma, lol. If you decide to sell, let me know.

Pretty sure I settled on the M4. Now, do I go with the pistol grip and get stuck with 5 rounds or go with the non-pistol grip and get 7 rounds? The laws in this state drive me nuts. I’ll probably go with the pistol grip.

The early HK import M1 super 90 were the best.
Ghost load for the win.

For current production I would go with an M2 in 21” and add an extended tube.

I have an M2 and love it. Funny thing is its a great upland gun. With the long semi-auto receiver its about as long as an over/under with 26" barrels. It points great. Ha.

I'm not a fudd , not at all. But shotguns are for shooting at moving things. I've owned Saigas. I just don't get any joy out of shooting at milk jugs with a shotgun. So any gun I have has to also be good for either busting clays or killing birds.

Back
Top Bottom