Bending ak receivers?

Ya know I was going to pretty much ask the same question. I have 3 pressbrakes at the shop. Anyone know if they come staped with serial numbers, Do we add our own, are there laws in Libralchusetts about making these?

I've made them...

I've made my own receivers, but it is not easy.

Honesly, in the long run, spend the extra money, get an honest serial numbered receiver, and put one together.

When you purchase an 80% flat, there are no numbers, no markings at all on it.

Then you must press the receiver into shape. This requires a jig. These can be purcahsed online, or you can borrow mine if you live close enough... But online purchase will run you $120 or so. One receiver is cheaper then that, so unless you really want to go for the built from the ground up feel...

Then you need to harden your receiver with hot temperatures (Temper and Aneal).

Then you choose a screw or rivit build.

It's work, but very rewarding when you're done

----

Regarding Laws, etc. The I Am Not A Laywer Disclaimer.... blah blah blah..

From what I understand, as long as the END PRODUCT is legal in your state, and you are legal to own it, then you are allowed to build it.

As for building a gun, you are not allowed to sell said gun, as you would then be considered a "manufacturer", and leads to all kinds other issues.

For "giving" away the gun, well, those waters are yet to be tested from what I understand...

I believe the ATF expects you to tear it down once you are finished, and resell it as a parts gun. (minus the receiver).

Pictures

Here are some pictures I took of one of my receivers I built... Prior to being heat treated:

Receiver.jpg

Receiver2.jpg

Receiver3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom