Bend Over Fitchburg Gun Owners -- Here it Comes!

Applied for my license a couple of days ago. Officer Papas was incredibly friendly, and expressed a rather "pro-gun" attitude. He mentioned applications were up significantly, primarily first-time females requesting their Class A... hell yes. He mentioned that as result of the increase of applications, it is taking 6-8 weeks for licenses to be issued. So, I can be expecting his call between February 23rd and March 8th.

A weird note... he asked me how many times I called before he called me back. He said he wrote down names and a little circle next to their name to note how many times a person called. I wasn't sure if that meant he kept a tally over the course of 7 weeks that I kept calling OR if he only listened to the machine every other month and made notes while he listened... either way seemed strange to me. Just thought I'd share with my fellow "Fitchburgers." [thinking]

Interesting turn of events... 17 hours after posting that Fitchburg PD hasn't returned any of my calls and I get a call back... I'm kicking myself and beating my head against a wall that I missed the damn call. [angry] I'm hoping that another 7 weeks doesn't go by before he tries again. He DID give me a different number to call him back on so I'm really hoping that the firearms licensing line just isn't checked very often and he gave me the number to his direct line. UGH!

I wonder if he is reading this forum.

Hi! [wave]

The fun part is now anyone who can get through to actually get in for an appointment is probaby going to be waiting a long frigging time... in between the inherent slowness of the PD, and apparently the state dragging its ass... ugh.

-Mike

The fun part is now anyone who can get through to actually get in for an appointment is probaby going to be waiting a long frigging time... in between the inherent slowness of the PD, and apparently the state dragging its ass... ugh.

-Mike

this, and after chatting with Officer Pappas, they seemed to have cut the whole licensing gig down, to where he does it part time....not his fault but whoever appointed him to do that.
He was a cool guy to talk to while going through the process, the only problem was getting a hold of him.
this wed will be my 4th week since applying. so here's hoping I hear back soon.
oh, and he told me 5-8 weeks when I went.

-kev

This BS needs to end! We need to get ahold of some representatives to take this by the horns and get it fixed, and quick. This is totally inexcusable!

this, and after chatting with Officer Pappas, they seemed to have cut the whole licensing gig down, to where he does it part time....not his fault but whoever appointed him to do that.
He was a cool guy to talk to while going through the process, the only problem was getting a hold of him.
this wed will be my 4th week since applying. so here's hoping I hear back soon.
oh, and he told me 5-8 weeks when I went.

-kev

The rumor was originally that the LO job/duties were cut to 4 hrs a week. I realize the city is struggling and budget cuts have been made, etc... but that is nuts.

-Mike

Is this mess still on going? Or are they back to issuing unrestricted A's?

AFAIK A/None is pretty much the default license in Fitchburg. The only real problem is getting an appointment is a bitch.

-Mike

FYI - the officer doing the licensing works the night shift. Call after 3pm. My parents just scheduled an appointment to get their LTC's. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

-Mike

A co-worker sent his renewal form in months ago. His expiration date came and went and he's now passed his 90 day grace period. His wife has an LTC-A, so nothing had to be moved out, luckily. He's still waiting for the state to get off it's ass. It's not his PD, they've done their part, and he's good friends with the CLEO, so he knows its not them.

A co-worker sent his renewal form in months ago. His expiration date came and went and he's now passed his 90 day grace period. His wife has an LTC-A, so nothing had to be moved out, luckily. He's still waiting for the state to get off it's ass. It's not his PD, they've done their part, and he's good friends with the CLEO, so he knows its not them.

...and if his wife wasn't licensed, he would be the "bad guy" for being in possession of his firearms. Sad. This state is awesome.

I recently renewed and was issued and LTC-A with no restrictions. The last new applicant I know fo applied just a couple weeks after the shooting and was issued an LTC-A with a sporting restriction. I don't know if they are still doing that.

Also mine went overtime as well. I renewed like 5 or 6 days after the expiration date and the new one came in at like 94 days. So hopefully that means they are catching up. The firearms officer told me that they were swamped with new applicants and renewals and that they were having a hard time keeping up so hopefully it's temporary and they will catch up soon.

I was happy to hear they are getting swamped with new applicants.

Last edited:
I recently renewed and was issued and LTC-A with no restrictions. The last new applicant I know fo applied just a couple weeks after the shooting and was issued an LTC-A with a sporting restriction. I don't know if they are still doing that.

Also mine went overtime as well. I renewed like 5 or 6 days after the expiration date and the new one came in at like 94 days. So hopefully that means they are catching up. The firearms officer told me that they were swamped with new applicants and renewals and that they were having a hard time keeping up so hopefully it's temporary and they will catch up soon.

I was happy to hear they are getting swamped with new applicants.

Just be careful in the future, you dont get the 90 day "overtime" if you submit your renewal after your current permit expires....

My friend just received Class A LTC w/ sportsmanship restrictions. Took them about... 8 months to get him his license. But when he went for the interview, the chief said he had to many people with licenses in the town and didn't even have enough time for renewal paperwork so he wasn't issuing anymore out... not sure if it is all true, my firned still got his so, there is hope.

My friend just received Class A LTC w/ sportsmanship restrictions. Took them about... 8 months to get him his license. But when he went for the interview, the chief said he had to many people with licenses in the town and didn't even have enough time for renewal paperwork so he wasn't issuing anymore out... not sure if it is all true, my firned still got his so, there is hope.

WTF?!?!?!?!?! [puke]

Did he really apply 8 months ago? This doesn't wash. They've been slow but not that slow. the hardest part has been getting an appointment. Further, nobody ever talks to the chief in Fitchburg, they have always had a licensing officer, although the one they have now only works about 4 hours a week processing apps or something insanely weak like that.

Did your friend ask the LO if he was going to get an unrestricted permit?

I have no data on new apps but I know renewals are not being downgraded. (I know several people that have renewed, and nobody has had any huge problems other than getting the appointment. )

-Mike

Someone said in one of these posts on the second page that the killer had an LTC.

Gotta quote posts. This thread goes all the way back to 2009. And yes, there was an incident back several years where some numbskull with an LTC shot some guy weilding a machete or something, over a parking spot/some BS dispute in Fitchburg. That obviously made some waves... but that guy is in jail now.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom