• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Benchmade Knives. Yes, that Benchmade...

I was originally going for the 535 half serrated edge full size bugout then changed my mind for the mini - hoping I made the right choice. I usually prefer a more compact EDC knife but I guess I’ll have to wait and see if I made the right decision. Can always send it back if I’m not satisfied....
Let us know what you think. It’s solid, but I think it’s best served as an overpriced box opener. I don’t say that lightly. That being said, I’ll beat the shit out of it and never look back. I know I’ll never return it. That’s just me.
Also, I’m over serrations on folders. A fixed blade, maybe, but probably not there either.

So my mini Bugout arrived yesterday and I have to say that I'm not overwhelmed. It seems a bit to small for my not so big hands. That said, I just ordered a full size Bugout in ranger green with the smoked blade (non serrated). I think I'm going to like the full size better than the mini but I'll wait to pass judgement until I can compare both. The mini does disappear in your pocket though and that's a good thing.

The full-size Bugout is a great sized knife. You will prefer...

3.24" blade and a 4..22" handle is a great size...
1611417140086.png

Nice choice on colors...

1611417216721.png

Last edited:
I love the Ranger color but when I was first looking the pics looked too brown. The blue really pops though and is just great. Not everything needs to be tacticool. On that note I wish the orange came in full-size.

Let us know what you think. It’s solid, but I think it’s best served as an overpriced box opener. I don’t say that lightly. That being said, I’ll beat the shit out of it and never look back. I know I’ll never return it. That’s just me.
Also, I’m over serrations on folders. A fixed blade, maybe, but probably not there either.
Just curious why you don't like serrations on a knife blade? I have an old mini griptillian with the serrated edge and found it very useful on more than one occasion, especially for cutting through tough rope or similar material.

I feel like everyone's over serrations. I bought a used presidio on eBay and sent it to benchmade to refurbish for free. It's half serrated and I like it but I don't cut rope or anything often.

Just curious why you don't like serrations on a knife blade? I have an old mini griptillian with the serrated edge and found it very useful on more than one occasion, especially for cutting through tough rope or similar material.
I hate serrations.

They can be useful in certain situations- cutting rope is all that comes to mind - but you can still cut the rope without it. On the other hand- it reduces the amount of 'usable' blade for just about anything else. Plus they are impossible to sharpen correctly.

I hate serrations.

They can be useful in certain situations- cutting rope is all that comes to mind - but you can still cut the rope without it. On the other hand- it reduces the amount of 'usable' blade for just about anything else. Plus they are impossible to sharpen correctly.
This^^^^^^
For me, a really sharp, non serrated blade, meets 99% of my everyday needs, without the extra maintenance.

Update: I got the full size 535 in ranger green with a non-serrated blade. Great knife, feels sweet and carries like it’s not there. That said, I ended up sending it back to BladeHQ and got the 535 black out with the serrated blade. The ranger green color just seemed a bit faded compared to the ranger green color on my mini griptillian. Should be here ina couple of days. Will post pics.

Update #2: Got the 535 Bugout in black with half serrations and it works for me. That said, I really liked the look of the 535 with the blue handle & polished blade. I had an REI dividend plus a 20% members discount coupon so I used them both and got the 535 Blue Handle Bugout for under $90.00 + free delivery. Curse you again @enbloc for posting that pic back in January! :cool: I put a small lanyard on it to help me pull it off my pocket when I need to use it. I'm liking being able to switch from one knife to another as it suits my needs or mood.

IMG_0445.jpg

Last edited:
I gave my 20 year old BM Emerson to my Filipino ex-wife's cousin while I was In Mindanao. I bought a SOG Kiku to replace it and found I missed my Benchmade. So for a weeks now I've been hunting for a BM 940. Nobody had anything so I turned to Flea Bay, aware of 'caveat emptor' nature of the beast. I studied BM counterfeits for a few days then which left even more confused...lol

I found a reasonably priced 940 from a seller who just did knives, 100% rep. Done deal I thought, the next day I e-mailed him and stated flat out if he was sure it wasn't a copy. Two days later he messaged me and refunded me my money, saying he wasn't even sure if it was real. I found out last night the new 940 BM is going to ship sometime this May. Too late, I had just bought a 20 year old Mcusta Tactility Elite Black Linen Micarta VG-10 San Mai Blade, mint on AAPK.

65C9BF11-53C9-4C6E-82D3-22DC14ED7711.jpeg
I have a few in there. Not pictures is the mini bugout and full size grip.
The presidio is prob my most carried benchmade at work and the mini bugout for edc, although that’s not often.

I carried this for almost 10 years before I got into knives and this was my only one .

Attachments

• D67E4CA2-7795-4002-B14F-E6C80176118E.jpeg
    D67E4CA2-7795-4002-B14F-E6C80176118E.jpeg
    627.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 6104848E-2187-44DF-B227-8DA40C03A1B4.jpeg
    6104848E-2187-44DF-B227-8DA40C03A1B4.jpeg
    611.1 KB · Views: 8
Popping this thread back up....
I have had quite a few Benchmade's. And I'm dealing with that addiction. There may be more than one bugout 535 on my desk, because I like the format so much. I did have that 9400 auto, but it wasn't something I liked a lot, so it sits on a shelf more than it gets carried. The Pardue auto is one of the ones I like best. That one opens with so much authority! The little fixed blade is the newish one for dressing game birds. It's like a tiny zipper with quail.

5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom