• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Below The Radar: Responsible Body Armor Possession Act

mikeyp

NES Member
They just don't stop

U.S.A.-(AmmoLand.com)- People think that the Second Amendment revolves around guns. That is not quite the case. The right to keep and bear arms doesn’t begin and end with guns – in fact, while guns have occupied the centerpiece of the debate over the Second Amendment, the right to keep and bear arms is a lot more encompassing.

In the Caetano decision, the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment protected stun guns, but also stated that the arms being borne didn't have to exist at the time of the Second Amendment's enactment. So yeah, when the phaser gets invented, it, too will be protected by the Second Amendment. But bearable arms aren't just guns or futuristic laser pistols. Knife Rights has been taking on the battle with bladed weapons. One other facet emerging in the Second Amendment debate is body armor. There are some efforts to restrict or ban possession of body armor in Congress.

One of those efforts is HR 4568, the Responsible Body Armor Possession Act, introduced by Representative Grace Meng (D-NY). This legislation makes it illegal for civilians to own Level III body armor after the enactment of the bill.

Now, this ban isn’t a full ban in the way that Beto O’Rourke and Eric Swalwell want to ban the AR-15. Those who bought Level III armor before the bill becomes law will be allowed to keep it. Afterwards, though, buying or possessing Level III armor becomes a federal felony with a sentence of up to 10 years.
According to the National Institutes of Justice, part of the Justice Department, Level III body armor can stop any round up to 7.61x51mm NATO rounds. At one store, a given set of body armor comes in at around $440, which is a little less than half the price of a Mossberg 930 SPX autoloading shotgun.

Just looking at the body armor on the page, one thing jumps out: Just how conspicuous it is. Wearing this armor is going to attract a lot of attention – which is why you don’t hear a lot about criminals wearing this sort of body armor during crimes.

So, why the ban? Well, Representative Meng didn’t put out a press release for this bill, which has cropped up in past Congresses – albeit introduced by other Representatives. A previous version, introduced by Representative Mike Honda (D-CA), was justified on the grounds that it would make responding to active-shooter situations safer for first responders.

The fact is, we don’t even know that possession of certain types of body armor is even a factor in tragic events like mass shootings. It seems, like modern multi-purpose semiautomatic firearms, that this bill is another massive punishment on Americans for crimes and acts of madness they didn’t commit.
Second Amendment supporters should take the time to contact their Representative and Senators and politely urge them to oppose this legislation. Any sort of ban on anything that punishes Americans from crimes and acts of madness they did not commit is not reasonable.

Caetano - straight to you from the Shaws Ashland parking lot.

This bill is conceptually no different than banning gas masks or requiring subjects to wear light colored clothing after dark so the police will have an easier time getting a crisp sight picture.

Last edited:
More of a ban then most since most body armor I’m aware of has a five year life span, far short then firearms or ammo...

More of a ban then most since most body armor I’m aware of has a five year life span, far short then firearms or ammo...

Meh, most of this is due to liability. If its cared for the average weekend Boogaloo dude will be safe for awhile, most of that crap is due to the 2nd chance lawsuit and wanting to sell more units.

Meh, most of this is due to liability. If its cared for the average weekend Boogaloo dude will be safe for awhile, most of that crap is due to the 2nd chance lawsuit and wanting to sell more units.
It does not last forever and does age out even if it’s longer than the 5 years suggested duration

They just don't stop

U.S.A.-(AmmoLand.com)- People think that the Second Amendment revolves around guns. That is not quite the case. The right to keep and bear arms doesn’t begin and end with guns – in fact, while guns have occupied the centerpiece of the debate over the Second Amendment, the right to keep and bear arms is a lot more encompassing.

In the Caetano decision, the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment protected stun guns, but also stated that the arms being borne didn't have to exist at the time of the Second Amendment's enactment. So yeah, when the phaser gets invented, it, too will be protected by the Second Amendment. But bearable arms aren't just guns or futuristic laser pistols. Knife Rights has been taking on the battle with bladed weapons. One other facet emerging in the Second Amendment debate is body armor. There are some efforts to restrict or ban possession of body armor in Congress.

One of those efforts is HR 4568, the Responsible Body Armor Possession Act, introduced by Representative Grace Meng (D-NY). This legislation makes it illegal for civilians to own Level III body armor after the enactment of the bill.

Now, this ban isn’t a full ban in the way that Beto O’Rourke and Eric Swalwell want to ban the AR-15. Those who bought Level III armor before the bill becomes law will be allowed to keep it. Afterwards, though, buying or possessing Level III armor becomes a federal felony with a sentence of up to 10 years.
According to the National Institutes of Justice, part of the Justice Department, Level III body armor can stop any round up to 7.61x51mm NATO rounds. At one store, a given set of body armor comes in at around $440, which is a little less than half the price of a Mossberg 930 SPX autoloading shotgun.

Just looking at the body armor on the page, one thing jumps out: Just how conspicuous it is. Wearing this armor is going to attract a lot of attention – which is why you don’t hear a lot about criminals wearing this sort of body armor during crimes.

So, why the ban? Well, Representative Meng didn’t put out a press release for this bill, which has cropped up in past Congresses – albeit introduced by other Representatives. A previous version, introduced by Representative Mike Honda (D-CA), was justified on the grounds that it would make responding to active-shooter situations safer for first responders.

The fact is, we don’t even know that possession of certain types of body armor is even a factor in tragic events like mass shootings. It seems, like modern multi-purpose semiautomatic firearms, that this bill is another massive punishment on Americans for crimes and acts of madness they didn’t commit.
Second Amendment supporters should take the time to contact their Representative and Senators and politely urge them to oppose this legislation. Any sort of ban on anything that punishes Americans from crimes and acts of madness they did not commit is not reasonable.
Dear Leftivist shitheads- good for thee (details), good for me (just because).

Nice newspeak for the bill title - right up there with the Bank Secrect Act; HIPPA; Patriot act and Nixon's "Monetization of the dollar".

Whatever the name of the bill is and what it is supposed to protect is always the opposite. Like Rob said.

What are you talking about? You must be only talking about soft armor like Kevlar. Kevlar will last much longer than 5 years when not worn every day. Sweat and UV degrades Kevlar.

My Steel plates will last forever. Same goes with ceramic body armor.

RC

Yeah whatever. Ban everything already then we can all start enjoying firearms the way the joggers do and the founders intended. You know what is worse than a total ban? A tiny sliver of regulated freedom that keeps you enslaved.

"Those who bought Level III armor before the bill becomes law will be allowed to keep it. Afterwards, though, buying or possessing Level III armor becomes a federal felony"

Oh so I can legally keep it but I cant possess it. Makes sense.

"Those who bought Level III armor before the bill becomes law will be allowed to keep it. Afterwards, though, buying or possessing Level III armor becomes a federal felony"

Oh so I can legally keep it but I cant possess it. Makes sense.
It makes a lot of sense when you consider the implications of either having private property forfeited to the crown or orchestrating a massive buy (not a buyback, since govt never sold it in the first place). Same things one with many AR in D states. The reason they pulled it off with Atkins Accellerator springs and bump stocks was the small quantity involved.

HR4568 - Responsible Body Armor Possession Act
Text - H.R.4568 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): Responsible Body Armor Possession Act
To prohibit the purchase, ownership, or possession of enhanced body armor by civilians, with exceptions.
“932. Ban on purchase, ownership, or possession of enhanced body armor by civilians.”.
(b) Enhanced Body Armor Defined.—Section 921(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(36) The term ‘enhanced body armor’ means body armor, including a helmet or shield, the ballistic resistance of which meets or exceeds the ballistic performance of Type III armor, determined using such standard as the National Institute of Justice has in effect at the time at which a person purchases, owns, or possesses such armor.”.
Those who use the term "civilians" to differentiate between non-LEOs and LEOs are part of the problem we're having right now.

Sponsor: Rep. Meng, Grace [D-NY-6]

Bill has 10 co-sponsors:
Rep. Quigley, Mike [D-IL-5]* 09/27/2019
Rep. Hastings, Alcee L. [D-FL-20]* 09/27/2019
Rep. Brownley, Julia [D-CA-26]* 09/27/2019
Rep. Norton, Eleanor Holmes [D-DC-At Large]* 09/27/2019
Rep. Engel, Eliot L. [D-NY-16]* 09/27/2019
Rep. Johnson, Henry C. "Hank," Jr. [D-GA-4]* 09/27/2019
Rep. Velazquez, Nydia M. [D-NY-7]* 09/27/2019
Rep. Jackson Lee, Sheila [D-TX-18]* 09/27/2019
Rep. Carson, Andre [D-IN-7]* 09/27/2019
Rep. Sires, Albio [D-NJ-8] 10/04/2019

It does not last forever and does age out even if it’s longer than the 5 years suggested duration

Lol, that's what they want you to believe, it's all stated that way because of liability. The second chance lawsuit
changed a lot of things.

If you are a LEO and you're sweating in body armor every day for 5 years, yeah, it's probably a good idea to toss a
soft panel after that long. Vests don't just "decompose" or lose strength just from sitting around in a suitable
storage environment. I've shot used vests that were long past their expiration dates... and woah hoa, they still stopped
bullets. (This dude who was an aux leo used to bring old "expired" vests to the range I was a member at, and we would shoot the piss out of
them with different things to see how much abuse they would take. )

Those who use the term "civilians" to differentiate between non-LEOs and LEOs are part of the problem we're having right now.
Then you have a problem with the Merriam-Webster corporation.

I don't have a subscription to the Oxford English Dictionary so I don't know if they are part of the problem as well.

I don't have a subscription to the Oxford English Dictionary so I don't know if they are part of the problem as well.
Apple uses Oxford and also doesn’t include police under the “civilian” definition.

52382D63-BC5B-487F-8495-9EE1E48AB0B0.png

Last edited:

This is the difference between descriptive and prescriptive dictionaries. We're not the French, we don't have a Department of Language that seeks to preserve our mother tongue, demanding that we only use words as they see fit. The result is definition creep because we've let children use a word wrong, until it does mean what they think it means. Tell a lie long enough...or something.

until it does mean what they think it means
Like "Assault weapon". Something is not a "murder weapn" until it is used in a killing, but can be an "assault weapon" when it's spent its life punching holes in paper targets. Plus the military definition.

I have been trying for years to get "upindicular" accepted as a word, meaning "concurrently vertical and perpindicular". It would also be nice to see ignoranus (someone who is ignorant and and a-h at the same time) accepted.

Like "Assault weapon". Something is not a "murder weapn" until it is used in a killing, but can be an "assault weapon" when it's spent its life punching holes in paper targets. Plus the military definition.

I have been trying for years to get "upindicular" accepted as a word, meaning "concurrently vertical and perpindicular". It would also be nice to see ignoranus (someone who is ignorant and and a-h at the same time) accepted.
Just need to get enough more people to use the words too. I'll probably pick up "ignoranus," but I think I'll be sticking to plumb for the other, though I suppose there's a difference there...

Unconstitutional.

ARM noun (2), often attributive
Definition of arm (Entry 3 of 5)

1a: a means (such as a weapon) of offense or defense
especially : FIREARM

Lol, that's what they want you to believe, it's all stated that way because of liability. The second chance lawsuit
changed a lot of things.

If you are a LEO and you're sweating in body armor every day for 5 years, yeah, it's probably a good idea to toss a
soft panel after that long. Vests don't just "decompose" or lose strength just from sitting around in a suitable
storage environment. I've shot used vests that were long past their expiration dates... and woah hoa, they still stopped
bullets. (This dude who was an aux leo used to bring old "expired" vests to the range I was a member at, and we would shoot the piss out of
them with different things to see how much abuse they would take. )

This. Body armor websites will tell you that the expiration date is due to material break down through use, noting particularly humidity and moisture. If you store body armor unused in a temperate and dry place (vac sealed would be ideal), you're essentially pausing the timer on it. I have a feeling the humidity/moisture aspect is more for outer layer integrity to hold panels in place, as well as any interior composite materials made of a matrix of resins and fiberglass-like lattices. If the sandwich structure is compromised by moisture, you no longer get the protective benefits.

I believe the term the police are using is patrol rifle. I'm going with it.

Back
Top Bottom