• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Being issued a restricted LTC and how to deal with it

GunGrey

Banned
Ive had two friends from my town who both have been rejected ALP for their LTC. I live in a red town that will only issue them to law enforcemnt, and im wondering what can be done to challenge the issuing? I know that you can do a judical review board type deal, but I do not know how that works, has anyone have to do this? both my friends have never commited a crime and are what people would say are model citizens. Be it they are both 21 this shouldn't matter, they still wouldnt issue a ALP to older folks anyways. Im planning on moving out of this town anyways and hopfully to a greentown where I won't be raked over the coals because i want the ability to protect myself. but is there anything else they can do to challenge the issuing.

As mentioned on this forum numerous times...it's simply left up to the issuing officers discretion. You could do the judicial review, but it won't get you anywhere unless you can prove that you have a NEED to carry a concealed weapon (you carry large amounts of cash frequently for a business, you've been the victim of a crime before, etc...) Simply having a clean record doesn't roll the dice in a red town. Believe me, I'm stuck with a target and hunting restriction as well from a red town and it pisses me off every day, especially considering I'm a green town now and the Chief here is more than willing to issue me a license for ALP, BUT my issuing town needs to void my existing license first (and guess what? They refuse to do so).

As mentioned on this forum numerous times...it's simply left up to the issuing officers discretion. You could do the judicial review, but it won't get you anywhere unless you can prove that you have a NEED to carry a concealed weapon (you carry large amounts of cash frequently for a business, you've been the victim of a crime before, etc...) Simply having a clean record doesn't roll the dice in a red town. Believe me, I'm stuck with a target and hunting restriction as well from a red town and it pisses me off every day, especially considering I'm a green town now and the Chief here is more than willing to issue me a license for ALP, BUT my issuing town needs to void my existing license first (and guess what? They refuse to do so).

Wow, and I thought that "target restrictions" were bad enough. We desperately need to throw out this arbitary police chief garbage and adopt a better system.

Someone needs to challange them..Here in CT we have a "suitability" clause for Permits to Carry...and for years Police Dept's have been asking for references, credit checks and even interviews..people had enough and put the pressure on...and that will come to an end this week. In an official letter to all Police Dept's they are being told they cannot add anything to the application process...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum14/36827.html

But keep in mind Mass laws are different than Connecticut laws...ours are the 2nd toughest in the nation next to California. Our laws state any restrictions the licensing authority deems proper may be made. How the hell do you expect to challenge that? The ONLY way things are going to begin to get better is if H. 2259 passes, and we cut 4 licenses down to 1, and the whole deal with restrictions is completely written out of Mass law. I will pledge to buy a couple kegs for a NES party the day I can wake up and my target and hunting restriction on my current license becomes null and void!

Last edited:
CT laws do allow an IA to judge ones "suitability" before issuing a permit..We also have whats called an "Eligibility Certificate", which allows one to buy handguns and just not carry them..In essence like a Restricted LTC-A in Mass...It took the police arresting the "wrong" person to get the ball rolling here..Federal Lawsuits on Open-Carry and other firearms matters, and constant pressure and now "they" are starting to realize there games are over..I don't know a lot about Mass Law but if as it seems the Legislature won't change things then they are either going to pick on the "wrong" person or they are going to be flooded with lawsuits that may make it to Federal Court..I don't think Mass people are going to keep taking that crap...not in the state which brought us the great John and Samuel Adams...

I'll agree with you there. Believe me if I had the funds I wouldn't hesitate for a second to financially back anybody willing to go up against the state on these issues. I just don't understand how so many unconstitutional laws could ever be passed in the first place. It angers me greatly, as I'm as patriotic as they come and I truly feel our founding fathers "got it right" the first time, yet it seems the constitution in these eastern states isn't getting the respect it deserves. I also surely hope you're right about the Mass people no longer taking the crap all the moonbats have been dishing out over the years. Enough really is enough..we need to bring Utah's laws HERE! Or, at the very least...do away with the whole restriction non-sense, issue ONE type of license, and allow concealed carry for all law abiding citizens who desire to do so (I really don't care if we're allowed to open carry or not..simply draws unwanted attention to yourself and I'm all about being tactical). Every person should have a right to protect themselves inside AND OUTSIDE their home!

I hope it comes through for you in mass!! In terms of open carry, the issue was a man's jacket opening in a restaurant and his gun being exposed..so even if you don't agree with open carry I think we can all agree if your jacket opens or if you reach for something in a store..or to pickup your child..and your gun becomes exposed...you should not have to worry about being labeled a "criminal"..and in the end..The CT AG's office admitted in Federal Court that open-carry is legal and a police officer involved in the incident said on the record that he was told during training that open carry is legal in CT.....and then was told to arrest this man...his superior will be answering to that soon....and the CT DPS is trying to get "concealed carry" passed in CT...it was defeated last year and will be again this year..

I'm curious to know what that officer's superior is going to come up with for an answer to that! I agree that while I wouldn't personally open carry, that I would support the right to do so, especially in instances like the one you stated above. However, one could argue (at least here in Mass, where the law is unclear as to whether open carry is technically illegal or not) that the man was simply negligent on his part by allowing his jacket to slip open exposing the firearm. Nevertheless, being that open carry is deemed legal in CT, the incident should become a non-issue. Here in Mass you'd get nailed to the wall regardless that there is no specific law preventing open carry...they'll immediately slap you with brandishing and whatnot

Back
Top Bottom