• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beginners guide to hunting in Massachusetts from Cerfur

Lots of good information.

Now can someone tell me how to hunt? I've gone deer hunting twice in SC where I walk out to a tree stand and sit with my rifle. How does hunting with a shotgun change things? Do I need to get a climbing stand or can I just prop up against a tree and wait? How and when do I scout?

Thanks!

No different, except you are using a shotgun.

Awesome post, lots of great info. I'm going to my first Hunter Ed class tonight at the Billerica Rod and Gun club, even though it's listed as full.

This thread should be sticky'd.

I went to look for where to go for a safety class, and was wondering if I needed one... I had a Hunting Lic in MA about 25 years ago, and never bothered again. Since I DID have one (and I thought I might still have it, yet I can't find it) can I check the box swearing I had one? Or is that a risk?

Another question, are the classes one night or more? I was looking at Hopkington.

Sorry to derail the thread..

I went to look for where to go for a safety class, and was wondering if I needed one... I had a Hunting Lic in MA about 25 years ago, and never bothered again. Since I DID have one (and I thought I might still have it, yet I can't find it) can I check the box swearing I had one? Or is that a risk?

Another question, are the classes one night or more? I was looking at Hopkington.

Sorry to derail the thread..
your good check the box! They may be able to look it up but if you took a class you are legal.. BTW the class time is multiple nights

your good check the box! They may be able to look it up but if you took a class you are legal.. BTW the class time is multiple nights

No class was required back then... So I never took one... This change things?

And thanks for the info above!!!!!!

I believe the requirements just say you need to have had a previous hunting license.. double check the link

No class was required back then... So I never took one... This change things?

And thanks for the info above!!!!!!

i think you are still good...I found this FAQ From the state http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df...s/hunting-license-purchase-requirements.html#
Does everyone have to have a basic hunter education certificate in order to obtain a license?

No. Adults who possess any prior year's hunting or sporting license (combination hunting and fishing license) from any state or province are exempt from taking and passing a hunter education course.

AFAIK, any previous year's hunting license, from any state is GTG. In fact, I have a 20-year-old license, just so I would not have to take the course again. Then, to teach it, I had to take the course again! [laugh]

That said, if you're out of the loop, a course is not going to be all that much of a waste - things change all the time....like the requirement that if you're using an OHV, the gun be in a locked case while it's running. It's the little things that count.

If I want to go to Maine, for ex, to hunt, and I'm a MA resident with a LTC-A, do I need to apply for hunting permits in both NH and ME before I cross the borders?

If I want to go to Maine, for ex, to hunt, and I'm a MA resident with a LTC-A, do I need to apply for hunting permits in both NH and ME before I cross the borders?

If you hunt in Maine you need a non resident hunting license in Maine (not NH). You do not need a "gun license" in Maine to hunt with rifle/shotgun unless you plan on carrying concealed. For transport keep the gun in a locked container in the vehicle and you're good to go. You don't need to license squat in NH to travel though. As said - just keep it in a locked container (gun case).

Breath in the air of freedom while your there....

Last edited:
So if I decide to go to NH to hunt, I dont need diddly squat as far as licensing/permits?
And ofcourse I have to have my MA hunting permit.

If you hunt in Maine you need a non resident hunting license in Maine (not NH). You do not need a "gun license" in Maine to hunt with rifle/shotgun unless you plan on carrying concealed. For transport keep the gun in a locked container in the vehicle and you're good to go. You don't need to license squat in NH to travel though. As said - just keep it in a locked container (gun case).

Breath in the air of freedom while your there....

This it precisely why I asked the EPO - the statue, not specifically saying "Paved," leaves room - his attitude (while not black-letter law) was that ANY road was verboten, and he'd cite you (or bounce you off it, too).

Would it hold up of you fought it? Let the judge decide, I guess. YMMV, I guess.......

My attitude has been "roads" appear on "road maps" .

- - - Updated - - -

I would ask.. "whats the name of this road?"

I am just starting to get into hunting and have been searching for a post like this for a while!

Looking into getting my hunting license for the first time in MA. I've heard and read conflicting information one thins... If you have a MA LTC and have taken the safety course, is there any other courses/classes that you have to take or does having your LTC suffice? Even if it is enough I would still like to take a hunters safety course but is it needed? Thank you in advance!

Looking into getting my hunting license for the first time in MA. I've heard and read conflicting information one thins... If you have a MA LTC and have taken the safety course, is there any other courses/classes that you have to take or does having your LTC suffice? Even if it is enough I would still like to take a hunters safety course but is it needed? Thank you in advance!
LICENSES ARE REQUIRED for all persons 15 years of age and over for hunting any bird or mammal; and/or for fishing the inland waters of Massachusetts. Hunting or Sporting licenses for anyone aged 18 years or older can be purchased only if (1) proof of a previous hunting license issued prior to 2007 from any jurisdiction is provided; (2) proof of a certificate of completion of a Basic Hunter Education course issued by any jurisdiction in North America is provided; or (3) an affidavit stating that the applicant has either a Basic Hunter Education Certificate or has purchased a Hunting/Sporting license prior to 2007 is provided.

Back
Top Bottom