• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beginner questions about manuals and powder

I just picked up a press a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm trying to figure out what manual I should start out with. What do you guys use? Also, is there and all around type of powder I can use for .45acp, .38spcl, and .357 magnum? So far I've seen a Lyman and a Speer manual on Dillon's website, would either of those be fine, or should I be looking for another one?

P.S. If the powder would also work for .454 Cassull that would be a big bonus.

I agree with Adam -- I like the Lyman manual.

I don't reload .357, so can't help you there. I do reload .38, 9mm, 10mm, and .45 ACP. I've used Bullseye, which is ok but dirty. I've switched to Win 231, which is a bit cleaner. I've got no idea if either can be used for .454, as I do not (and will not) have anything in that caliber.

I suggest you do a search, as we've discussed this recently in other threads.

Last edited:
Speer's is useful also.

Note that you can get a lot of the data from the manufacturers' websites. IF you shoot action pistol, try Jeff Maas' site. He has 9mm, .38 Super and .40 S&W loads.

I use the Lyman manual a lot.

I also have about 7-8 of the single caliber Load Book USA manuals.

Speer, Hornady, Sierra are excellent manuals for beginners, Lyman is also good.

Lee's Manual is good, but better for an experienced reloader. If you're just starting out, by all means, buy a Lee Manual, but also get one of the 3 I mentioned.

Also, don't forget to buy new manuals at least every couple years or so, as powders, and the recipes for them, may be changed by the manufacturers.

No need to risk making overpressure loads because you were using an outdated manual. [sad]

You'll want to get more than 1 or 2 manuals. I use Speer, Lee, Hornady, and Lyman. Lyman is especially good for data for cast lead bullets.

The powder manufacturers also post load data on their websites. I like to use this as a cross reference/sanity check. Here's a couple:

Alliant Powder
Winchester

If you're looking for a powder that'll work with the first three calibers you listed, you can try Bullseye from Alliant or 231 from Winchester. As for the .454, that's quite a different animal.

Should have been more specific powders in earlier note siutible for 454 casull
I've found 231 for most of my lighet to medium loads work in 9x19 and 40 S&W

Thanks for all the info guys. I wound up getting the lyman manual, a pound of red dot, a pound of blue dot, and some 158g swc's for the .357's. The shop was a little limmited on powder, but I saw what looked like decent loads for the .45's I had at home, and the .357's I picked up today in the manual.

Note that different powders work better for different calibers. Win 231 is working fine for me in 9mm, 45, and .38, but I don't load those calibers very hot.

In contrast, it's not working that well for me in 10mm -- I'm getting high pressure (flattened primers) signs even though I'm not getting that fast velocities (180 gr JHP Speer Gold Dot,1040 fps with 6.0 gr Win 231, new Winchester brass, Win WLP primers, in a Colt Delta Elite). I'm going to switch to a different powder fpr 10mm.

References

I use Hornady Manual as I use their bullets. I use Unique for 45 ACP, 2400 for 357 Mag. and some 45 Win. Mag, and Blue Dot for 45 Win Mag and 10MM. I also cross reference with Lyman books. By the way, Max loads are Max. Stay to the middle of the range and work up slowly.

Uncle Festus, I think you should have at least two or three manuals. I was always told to compare loads before using one just for safety.

I am an old fan of Elmer Keith, so I've always liked 2400 and Unique powder.
With a hard cast bullet in .38 or .357, Unique is great with loads from 5 grains for plinking to 11 grains for a nice bang from the .357. These are old powders, and there are lots of recipies for them. They don't always meter weight through an auto scale as well as some of the modern powders, but I still like them.

How many miles have you put on that bike Rob? LOL, just wondering.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom