• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beginner Pistol Competition Rig Recommendations

I've recently started looking into pistol competitions, have gone to a practice night at a local club and watched a USPSA match this past weekend. Seems like one of the basic necessities to get into the sport is getting a belt/holster/mag rig. I've done a bit of research and looked around on Shooters Connection but frankly getting overwhelmed by the different options.

There also seems to be rules specific for men/women, and sounds like a dropped and offset holster is better for lady shooters due to hip/waist ratio. I'm a woman with a smaller frame.

Would love some recommendations on belt/holster/mag or complete kit for a beginner that doesn't break the bank. And any advice specifically for women shooters would be very welcomed!

I have a CZ Shadow 2 and want something that will work for USPSA/IDPA/Steel matches

I bought that setup when I started getting into USPSA. If you're shooting Production, you'll want to add some more pouches. That setup should last you years in USPSA/Steel Challenge (I can't speak to rules on IDPA though). The only comment I'd make is that after you get into things, you may find preference on belt stiffness. The DAA belt is stiffer than the CR speed. But it boils down to preference. Can't go wrong with either belt.

Pouches, also comes down to preference, but the ghost pouches in that kit are good, and lots of shooters swear by them. You'll find most people will switch up pouches/holsters and everything not necessarily because what they have just won't work, but to try out new gear and find something that they just like better.

As far as position, USPSA has rules on where holster and pouches can be located, and they differ depending on the division you shoot. I'd download the rule book and check out the latest. In general from what I know and what I do, in Production, the holster and mag pouches must sit behind the hip bone. That means you can't have the gun or a mag pouch on your belt between like your 9:30 and 2:30 ish. You can do a dropped and offset holster, but the holster must be a certain width from you belt I believe and it the butt of the gun in the holster must be above the top edge of the belt. Most go with the BOSS hanger and are fine.

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money until you get a grasp on the rules and stuff.
For example...I'm fairly certain the Shadow 2, a great gun by the way, is much too heavy for the IDPA weight limit.
Inner and outer belt sets are no bueno for IDPA as well.
They all have different equipment rules as well, this holster is OK for this but not that one type of thing.

If you're unsure you'll actually like the sport, then agree that you shouldn't necessarily dump a ton of money into gear yet. Buy a bladetech or comptac holster, use a regular belt you've got, and borrow some mag pouches if you can.

But if you've gone to practice sessions, and seen what a match looks like and know you're into it, then I wouldn't hesitate to invest up front (do your research of course, but any of the stuff linked here, or on benstoegerproshop will do you just fine). If you go cheap up front, you'll just end up buying decent gear in a season or two anyway. Even if you don't end up sticking with the sport, a decent rig will have some resale value. Cheap stuff will end up in your junk pile.

I would start with bladetech stuff, Their holster and single mag pouches are good. No need to spend big money on gear that will not be of any benefit.

I would also look on Brianenos.com forum. Lots of used deals there

Money will be better spent on ammo and match fees.

Last edited:
I've recently started looking into pistol competitions, have gone to a practice night at a local club and watched a USPSA match this past weekend. Seems like one of the basic necessities to get into the sport is getting a belt/holster/mag rig. I've done a bit of research and looked around on Shooters Connection but frankly getting overwhelmed by the different options.

There also seems to be rules specific for men/women, and sounds like a dropped and offset holster is better for lady shooters due to hip/waist ratio. I'm a woman with a smaller frame.

Would love some recommendations on belt/holster/mag or complete kit for a beginner that doesn't break the bank. And any advice specifically for women shooters would be very welcomed!

I have a CZ Shadow 2 and want something that will work for USPSA/IDPA/Steel matches
keep going to matches and practice nights. Get to know a few folks and if USPSA folks are as nice as cmp/nra service rifle folks you should have no problem finding others that will let you try some gear before you buy.
Also be sure of the game you want to play and the rules and needs so you dont end up with boxes of stuff you wont use or cant sell with out a decent resale price.
Keep your eyes open for used gear for those that are selling to up grade or are getting out.

You can spend a fortune, so keep it simple until you get a feel for it.
I shoot a Walther Q5 Match in USPSA and I use the Kydex holster that came with it, and a simple double Kydex pouch. I added 5 rd TF (can't remember the actual manufacturer's name) mag extensions on 3 mags (now 21 rounds each). My belt is a locking Fairwin Tactical I got from Amazon. When I shoot IDPA I use the same holster and pouch on a regular belt, and regular mags (IDPA has a 10 rd mag limit). That way I can easily switch and not have a few hundred dollars worth of USPSA gear sitting around.
Some USPSA shooters around me have spent 10 times what I spent on their gear, but I keep up.

Correction: When I shoot my Canik I use the holster that came with it on a separate Fairwin belt. With my Walther Q5 I use an inexpensive Fobus Kydex holster that also came from Amazon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom