1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Beginner Bow.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cluster F, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:14 PM.

1. Cluster F

Cluster F USMC Veteran

So I’m looking to get into a Compound bow. Mainly to practice. See if I like it. Nothing serious like I’m looking to go hunt right away. I’m on a super budget. Specially to start out with. I haven’t had mich luck on CL. And I’m tempted to try one of those iGlow ones off Amazon. Those prices are right for me. Anyone have any other suggestion on bows in that range.

2. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

Subscribed. Same here.

3. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

I would suggest that you go to a good bow shop and buy a bow and get fitted to it. I know that it works because Little Jack did that. He practiced shooting for group till he could shoot six inch groups at 20 yards. Took a deer at that range the next season. Jack.

xjma99, W.E.C and Rayvis13 like this.
  4. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

Mosey down 495 to Reedy's:

Reedy's Archery | Middleborough, MA

Alternatively, does your gun club have an archery program? If so, go and talk to the 3D archery shooters at your club.

xjma99, Chevy 2 65 and 57West like this.
  5. 57West

57West

Second vote for Reedy's. I have been going for a while now. Just had my wife fitted a couple weeks ago. Those guys really know their stuff and back all the products they sell. They will set you up. They have bows in all price ranges. The Mathews mission line has a bunch that are high quality and fully adjustable in draw weight and length. Perfect for a new shooter.

W.E.C likes this.
  6. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

Go to a shop. Make sure you buy something with adjustable Draw Length, as it will be much more resellable if you don't like archery

The shop will measure your draw length, and fit a bow, and arrows to you. Yes the spine of the arrows must match so they fly correctly, if they don't they fishtail and lose accuracy and energy downrange.

There are some good beginner bows out there that fit adults now too and can be very adjustable in both length and weight. This is really what you should look at. Note, these bows are "average" and won't shoot as well as your "pro shop" top of the line bow that is made for either hunting specific or target specific. In general, longer bows are usually target bows, they draw smoother, and shoot a bit more forgivingly on release (less string angle and more physical weight). However they are harder to hunt with being heavier and longer.

You will need to be fit for Draw length, then you should shoot a weight that comfortable and not too hard to pull, you will shoot better that way. If you shoot the wrong draw length and arrows you will never be super successful in archery.

Everyone wants to get in on the cheap....realistically, Archery is a lot like firearms, it's not cheap to start with. If you get decent equipment that fits you and you practice, you will see some success. You don't need the newest and best.....but some old junk that doesn't fit you is not going to make you happy.

7. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

[​IMG]

Plus a couple lessons to start wouldn’t hurt. It’s easier to learn it right the first time than having to fight to overcome a bad habit(s)

Bob

xjma99 and Rayvis13 like this.
  8. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

Ive got an extra lefty 30” draw Mathews 65# I would part with cheap.

Finding the shooter for a bow is harder than
    Fitting a bow to a shooter.

9. NFD9

NFD9 NES Member

10. Kevin 103

Kevin 103 NES Member

A second vote for Jerry’s. I went there having zero experience 4 years ago, he set me up and I’m still using the same bow and don’t see any reason to upgrade in the near future.

I think most importantly he takes you upstairs to the range and gets you on target. This really gives you a head start and gets you enjoying shooting the bow without the steep learning curve.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 2:54 PM