Beginner airsoft rifle?

Well I have decided my black rifles are too killy so I took a cutting torch to all of them and tore up my LTC....

Just kidding, anyway my 12 year old plays airsoft with his friends and really wants an AR-15 pattern rifle for Christmas. I have no idea where to start. Electric? CO2? From my brewing, I have the ability to fill CO2 tanks so that is not an issue. I would like to spend under $300 including all the safety gear if possible. Any brands I should steer towards or away from?

Thanks,
Chris

I have 2 of these: https://www.evike.com/products/64525/
The first one I bought for my son who is 12. I had to get one after using his. It is a little more expensive than what you want to spend though. I would suggest going with electric (AEG). I bought them from a store/indoor field near Bradley Airport in CT.

The type you would get at Dicks Sporting Goods are not worth it. They tend to break easily.

Last edited:
I remember back when my son was about 19-20, I think airsoft was just gaining steam with popularity. I went to his house to take him to lunch and he showed me his new airsoft rifle hanging on the wall, I would’ve sworn from across the room it was real. It immediately worried me that being a young knucklehead he and his friends would take them out in public playing around and get themselves shot by some local yahoo cop.

Point being they look very real, sit down and talk to him about where and when he can play with it, and what to do immediately if a cop pulls up and approaches him anywhere he’s playing. God forbid, but you know what I mean.

One of my sons was seriously into airsoft for a while. One thing we learned was some manufacturers basically don't sell replacement parts. He had a couple guns break and there was no way to repair them. Just something to look for before buying.

Make sure your town does not have any special restrictions also.
My friend is a PP and air soft is his only choice.
He has a pile of "cheap" airsoft rifles which are now salvaged for parts.
He has really stepped in deep with air soft and plays a lot and travels to events he's a support soldier and runs a M60 paid $500. His son is a dedicated sniper and has a spring powered rifle that is pretty darn accurate. I don't know what model but it looks like a classic win 70 rem 700 style bolt gun its beer can accurate out to about 50 yards and my favorite to use when I top buy.
Then they have the typical full auto M16,ak,MP5 looking guns.
If I recall they are all electric now that he runs. I bought a cheap air soft pistol at Walmart looked like desert eagle co2 powered. It started leaking before the summer ended.
My friend bought all his safety gear and accessories used at a airsoft game

It immediately worried me that being a young knucklehead he and his friends would take them out in public playing around and get themselves shot by some local yahoo cop.

Point being they look very real, sit down and talk to him about where and when he can play with it, and what to do immediately if a cop pulls up and approaches him anywhere he’s playing. God forbid, but you know what I mean.

Yes, I am concerned about this as well, I am thinking about asking the board of my local gun club if they can play there.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, I have a lot of reading to do.

Chris

Buy him this. If I needed one I'd be all over it

WTS - Airsoft Tokyo Marui M4A1 package
That is a very good deal.

When I was younger, I was all over Airsoft running a Classic Army SR25 with modified PSG internals, Lipo battery, brushless motor, steel gears, precision inner barrel, aluminium piston, shimmed gears, the list went on. I was shooting 400 fps with .28g bb's and was deadly accurate running as a scout sniper. I ended up selling it as the amount of money I had into it I could have gotten a real one, it was absurd. If I had to get into it again I would run a KWA Tokyo Marui on an M4 platform. There are tons of upgrades out there and once you go down the rabbit hole, well you know, its just like real firearms.

I have been doing airsoft since the late 90's. For longevity in the AR, realm go with a CYMA. They are cheap and cheerful and will last forever. Some have polymer receivers and some have pot metal receivers really depending on price point. But you should be able to get him the gun for around 120-180 locally. More than likely a little bit cheaper if you buy online. If you want him to play at the legal insured fields in this state get him a full face mask as under 18 and under 16 require full face protection. But don't get him the ones with mesh eyes. For bb's get him .25's or .27's (heavier weight will increase accuracy and be able to punch through light brush better than .20's) . If he will be playing in the woods get the bio bb's as they are eco-friendly. For battery get him a 7.4 Lipo that will fit in the gun and a lipo charger. Most airsoft AEGs come with a crap tier battery and charger that won't really work. Get him some mid cap mags (they sell real, mid and high) The gun will probably come with a hi cap mag but they rattle and require winding as you go through it. Mid caps hold 50-180 rnds and don't require winding. If you have some money left over after all that go to walmart and get one of those "USP" co2 Non blowback pistols and are fairly cheap and reliable. Cheap ALICE rigs from ebay or surplus stores are also a good first rig to get.

Back
Top Bottom