• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Before you stock in the next 10,000 rounds of ammo, maybe you should stop and think.

people hoarding essential items is just part of reality. Plan better for it...I guess I never really saw the TP retard thing coming, figured it would be water and canned goods. Now I know better and will add TP and paper towels to my cart more often. Same goes for ammo, OP...start slowly building a supply or get into reloading.

Everyone here agrees the TP hoarders were retards, but don't see themselves as retards for hoarding an item they keep as a high priority....it's all about perspective. If something is important to you, then build a collection/supply over time. Don't wait til it's too late to bitch about it.

people hoarding essential items is just part of reality. Plan better for it...I guess I never really saw the TP retard thing coming, figured it would be water and canned goods. Now I know better and will add TP and paper towels to my cart more often. Same goes for ammo, OP...start slowly building a supply or get into reloading.

Everyone here agrees the TP hoarders were retards, but don't see themselves as retards for hoarding an item they keep as a high priority....it's all about perspective. If something is important to you, then build a collection/supply over time. Don't wait til it's too late to bitch about it.

When COVID hit I bought a propane commercial flat top griddle and four Blue Rhino propane tanks just in case. My grill is natural gas so now I'm cooking brekky on the flattop in the back yard on weekend to use a lifetime supply of propane. To add insult to injury Blue Rhino doesn't actually refund the price you pay upfront for the cylinder when you bring it back and don't get a refill.

Hoarding and panic buying are two different things. Nothing wrong with hoarding something that is important for you to have a stock of. But that involves slowly buying it either on a schedule or when opportunities present for a good buy. The TP thing wasn't like that at all.

This seems an appropriate time for everyone to review and ensure personal storage is compliant with Code of Massachusetts Regulation (CMR) 13.04:

...and relevant penalties in Massachusetts General Law (MGL), C. 148 § 16:

Of course the above regulation and statute are enforceable only in the state of Massachusetts but they appeal to common sense everywhere. Please contact my office with any questions.

Every day I wake up in a free state I thank god I’m no longer subject to these arbitrary and capricious “laws” defining what is lawful and I now live where laws define criminal acts. Constitutional carry and Stand Your Ground contribute to making New Hampshire one of the safest places to live.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH AMMO !

Got gifted a couple 5 gal. pails of once fired 38 special brass. :) Ordered a tumbler and medium to clean them up. New at case tumbling and want to know if I should de- prime brfore or after? Should have primers and powder enough, but I ordered 2000 slugs. Double ouch to the cc. May have to make some more wadcutters. Thanks in advance, Stash

I lived in New England for years - that meant NorEasters.
I live in Georgia now - that means hurricanes.

I have a generator, gasoline for it, enough food in the pantry and freezers for a couple of months, enough bottled water for two weeks and filters for after that. Candles, matches, flashlights, batteries. Our stove is propane, and I've got two campstoves in the garage with the rest of the camping gear.

We haven't fled even during mandatory evacuations, we just hunker down.

And I've got ammo, a loading press setup for my most common calibers and components to load them.

I shot a match last weekend. Instead of going into the ammo I'd already loaded, I loaded enough for the match, plus another couple hundred rounds to go on the shelves. I do what I need to do to not deplete my existing stocks. If I'm shooting a caliber I don't reload, such as .556 or .22, I purchase replacements as I take it off the shelf. And the "replacements" are greater than or equal to what I took off.

I've heard a few guys down here say that they're not shooting because they can't find ammo. I have enough ammo on my shelves to shoot for at least a year, and I can make more. The only stuff I'm light on is the stuff I don't shoot much of - .308, .380 and shotgun shells.

And yeah, we've got paper goods in a closet too.

Got gifted a couple 5 gal. pails of once fired 38 special brass. :) Ordered a tumbler and medium to clean them up. New at case tumbling and want to know if I should de- prime brfore or after? Should have primers and powder enough, but I ordered 2000 slugs. Double ouch to the cc. May have to make some more wadcutters. Thanks in advance, Stash
Deprime after tumbling. Otherwise you can get media stuck in the flashole.

You'll get better answers probably in the reloading forum.

That being said - I shoot .38 and reload it on an xl650, which is a progressive loader. I tumble my brass, dump it in a box, spray it with Hornady One Shot, roll it around, let it evaporate, then dump it into the case feeder. Stage 1 deprimes it.

Case tumbling mostly cleans the OUTSIDE of the case. It really doesn't do much to the insides, and I don't see any benefit to depriming before tumbling.

The thing with the TP though is it's not like there was ever any precedent for a shortage before. And it's not like there is anything that would change the actual demand of
TP, unlike with the ammo thing, getting a million new gun owners is going to change the demand on ammunition supplies.

Thus, it comes down to this...

TP being out of stock for a long time = wholly unrealistic
Ammo being out of stock or hard to get r = not nearly so, because it's happened before... several times.

Deprime after, never had an issue..

if using dry media like corn cob orwalnut I’d recommend leaving primers in so they don’t stick in pocket as bad. When you deprime after you’ll clean flashhole just Incase there are a few peices wedges in there.

Thanks mudflaf and others. After it will be. Tumbler and media arrived 10 mmins ago. Off to the races................. Stash

Wet tumbling - before
Dry Tumbling - after

Well, there was enough inventory before corona / riots, and prices were stable. Someone started panic buying to drain not only the retail channel, but also the distribution warehouses, and the manufacturer's warehouses.

There was obviously enough ammo to keep the 1000 round a week guys stocked until something changed.

Well, there was enough inventory before corona / riots, and prices were stable. Someone started panic buying to drain not only the retail channel, but also the distribution warehouses, and the manufacturer's warehouses.

There was obviously enough ammo to keep the 1000 round a week guys stocked until something changed.

You're just saying all this now, 4 months after things were bad enough that everything had to be shut down? I bought a f***ing freezer chest in January because the writing was already on the wall then. Hell, the Optics Planet orders I placed at the beginning of this are even finally getting ready to ship.

I don’t have nearly that amount, but panic buying has happened every couple of years since as long as I remember. But it when you can and you won’t be effected by price hikes and shortages

Well, some people have mortgages, kids, student loans, and other expenses that require budgeting to blow $2500 on ammo. You finally amass the money, and the market goes screwy.
That instructor is retarded. 4000 rounds of every caliber you own, let's do the math. 4000 rounds of 458 Lott @ 7.39 per round = $29,560, nah. Yes its a dumb example but do you see why what the instructor said is moronic.

I think common sense would suggest that the instructor was talking about 9, 40, 45, 5.56 and 7.62 x 39. I don't think he was referencing 50 bmg, 460 Weatherby Magnum or 458 LOTT.

Trust me. The thousand rounds a week guys had nothing to do with the current shortages you may be encountering. Nor the 400,000 round borders who have already been laying in stock since 2007. Nor the people who just started hording.

All of those inputs into the system have been known and planned for.

Fudds and panic people kicking off a learn to shoot or prepare cycle this late in the game == 200000 people all buying up a box or two over night.

If you have only been buying once seasonally. Welcome back to 2010 and the first great .22LR shortage. You sound like you've been around for a bit, but why didn't you learn then?

Stock ahead.

Every day I wake up in a free state I thank god I’m no longer subject to these arbitrary and capricious “laws” defining what is lawful and I now live where laws define criminal acts. Constitutional carry and Stand Your Ground contribute to making New Hampshire one of the safest places to live.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH AMMO !

You guys let all the Mass-holes in across the Southern border, and they started electing Democrats.

You should have listened to Meldrim Thomson, who asked the feds for tactical nukes for the national guard to protect the southern border against communist insurgents.

Trust me. The thousand rounds a week guys had nothing to do with the current shortages you may be encountering. Nor the 400,000 round borders who have already been laying in stock since 2007. Nor the people who just started hording.

All of those inputs into the system have been known and planned for.

Fudds and panic people kicking off a learn to shoot or prepare cycle this late in the game == 200000 people all buying up a box or two over night.

If you have only been buying once seasonally. Welcome back to 2010 and the first great .22LR shortage. You sound like you've been around for a bit, but why didn't you learn then?

Stock ahead.

Again, with taxes coming up, mortgage payments,

In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection.

In reading some of the posts here, I'm hearing that people are stockpiling 10, 20 and 30,000 rounds of ammo and up, and they're still buying more.

Just like the folks who descended upon the stores to clean out the paper towels, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, panic buying is great for you, but it prevents the rest of us from getting any. It also drives prices through the roof.

I usually buy my summer's supply of ammo in the spring, but because of the panic, I've not been able to get any.

Yes, you have the right to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds, but when you do this, you screw everyone else who is worried about the civil unrest situation, or having enough ammo to maintain qualification.

Just a thought.
you should always be stocking up .
a simple way to keep in plenty of ammo with out bulk buying.
Figure out how much you shoot per year.
now you should try and at least buy 1/3-1/2 your needs up front. Then BEFORE your next range trip by at least 2x of what you plan to shoot. So basically your replacing x2 so your always adding to the pile.
In short time you will have a surplus and be able to weather dry spells.
I always have plenty of 22 to enjoy shooting for a long time with out replenishing the stock. When things get really dry I only shoot 22s and reloads for the few matches I get to a year.

Back
Top Bottom