Before you stock in the next 10,000 rounds of ammo, maybe you should stop and think.

In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection.

In reading some of the posts here, I'm hearing that people are stockpiling 10, 20 and 30,000 rounds of ammo and up, and they're still buying more.

Just like the folks who descended upon the stores to clean out the paper towels, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, panic buying is great for you, but it prevents the rest of us from getting any. It also drives prices through the roof.

I usually buy my summer's supply of ammo in the spring, but because of the panic, I've not been able to get any.

Yes, you have the right to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds, but when you do this, you screw everyone else who is worried about the civil unrest situation, or having enough ammo to maintain qualification.

Just a thought.

Some instructor suggested keeping a random number of rounds on hand so you think it should be treated as a limit of some kind? Maintaining qualification? A non-member preaching?

I’d tell you to mind your own business except you apparently can’t manage that with your seasonal ammo purchasing regimen.

A more diplomatic way of making your point @masssheltie would have been:

"I feel based on my training that 4k rounds of every caliber you plan on using regularly is a happy place. Is everyone working towards that goal? What goals do you have for assessing whether you have enough stock of a calibre?

How do you choose what percentages of stock you allocate to defensive vs practice rounds?

Should I stop worrying and love the reloading-my-own movement and investing in a Dillon plus dies?"

Might get you more scootch here than insulting everyone who has both less and more than exactly 4000 rounds of every calibre. Which you sort of did.

If you're not reloading, you're doing it wrong.

And if one fails to plan properly for a hobby/lifestyle/defense plan, or whatever one wants to consider shooting to be, especially when it's well understood that said activity is highly sensitive to political/economic conditions, then the blame rests solely on the one who failed to plan.

ETA: LO -- and I can't stress this enough -- L @ "having enough ammo to maintain qualification"

Depends on how much you shoot and what current prices and availability look like I guess. If you're smart you're also taking into account future prices and availability.

Myself, I'm not taking ammo out of anyone's mouth right now because I piled up enough (more than 4k) that I've been sitting back watching the madness and havent bought any of my main pistol and rifle calibers since mid march and havent bought anything in a good month and a half. (I had practically no 12 gauge ammo other than trap loads. I bought some 00 buck and slugs at 73 cents and that was that)

Sorry but I dont have a lot of sympathy for gun owners who buy as they shoot or for people who waited until cities were burning across the country to decide they need a gun.

Some instructor suggested keeping a random number of rounds on hand so you think it should be treated as a limit of some kind? Maintaining qualification? A non-member preaching?

I’d tell you to mind your own business except you apparently can’t manage that with your seasonal ammo purchasing regimen.

'Mind your own business' was good.

At NES suggesting these folks throttle back something like this... makes perfect sense. /sarc

UJay

I think his point was more along the lines of “if you have tens of thousands of rounds of ammo, please stop panic buying cases because you’re further shifting the demand curve away from supply, which raises prices and prevents others from getting anything, most of which is drastically more expensive than even a few months ago.”
Maybe?

I dunno. The 4k seems odd. But,
I get where he’s coming from. However, telling a relatively small group of people to stop panic buying is like stepping in front of a freight train to get it to stop; not too bright and entirely ineffective.

The only caliber I have more than 1,500 rounds of is .22LR. Am I screwed? Yup, for the foreseeable future, I’m probably screwed. But .22 baby!!!
Nothing to be done about it though. At least you bastards with all the ammo have been more than kind enough to link deals to help those in need find ammo, and suggest LGS’s that have had and may have ammo at decent prices. Linking the TS in stock items is only good for roughly 3 minutes though.
Once I win the lottery I’m set! I Just gotta start playing...

I feel like this post wasn’t thought out. This is a gun forum, and most people on here shoot a lot. 4,000 rounds can be less than a months supply to any serious shooter. When we’re faced with a drought like we’re seeing now, shooting that volume is just too expensive at inflated prices. So no, it isn’t greedy to keep a several months supply on hand to last an ammo drought. The alternative is to stop going to shoots and practices. Why would you want to have to do that?

Anyone who "absolutely has to buy" ammo because they don't have any at this late stage of the problems we are seeing in this country simply hasn't been paying attention.......for YEARS.
That goes for all those who already owned guns and all the new gun buyers.

Nobody is responsible for their lack of ammo on hand or having to pay exorbitant prices for it now but themselves.
Life is full of different priorities.....everyone sets their own. There is no legitimate laying of blame on anyone but who you see in a mirror for your lack of ammo.

I feel like this post wasn’t thought out. This is a gun forum, and most people on here shoot a lot. 4,000 rounds can be less than a months supply to any serious shooter. When we’re faced with a drought like we’re seeing now, shooting that volume is just too expensive at inflated prices. So no, it isn’t greedy to keep a several months supply on hand to last an ammo drought. The alternative is to stop going to shoots and practices. Why would you want to have to do that?
I'm also curious about "summer supply" - does OP not shoot in other seasons? My shooting volume does not change whether it's 60°, 100° or -5°.

Why do people feel the need to preach to me how much ammo I need? I actually can't even believe anyone who supports freedom would look to place limitations on firearms or ammo.

If you want to listen to so called experts tell you how much ammo to buy then so be it.

But do not preach to to anyone about how much ammo they should have on hand.

Get as much as you feel you need or want.

Last edited:
In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection.

In reading some of the posts here, I'm hearing that people are stockpiling 10, 20 and 30,000 rounds of ammo and up, and they're still buying more.

Just like the folks who descended upon the stores to clean out the paper towels, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, panic buying is great for you, but it prevents the rest of us from getting any. It also drives prices through the roof.

I usually buy my summer's supply of ammo in the spring, but because of the panic, I've not been able to get any.

Yes, you have the right to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds, but when you do this, you screw everyone else who is worried about the civil unrest situation, or having enough ammo to maintain qualification.

Just a thought.
Don’t complain and buy as much as u can when u can.

Back
Top Bottom