• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Before you stock in the next 10,000 rounds of ammo, maybe you should stop and think.

what you running the titegroup behind?

124 grn plated 9mm; Berrys or Xtreme.
Makes minor power factor consistently in Glock 43, 48, 17 and 34.
Also reliably cycles my wife's HonorGuard and Sig P320.

I could probably dial it down a grain or three, but it's a nice consistent load now - and I don't want to get DNF'd at a match after the Chronograph.

I could probably dial it down a grain or three, but it's a nice consistent load now - and I don't want to get DNF'd at a match after the Chronograph.
That's still going to be a pretty soft load too from what I remember I don't like them that weak but it definitely ran the gun just fine back when I was doing ladders with TiteGroup. If I remember correctly I loaded a shitload at 4.2 + 4.3.... 124gn jacketed/enc. Then again with berries you might be getting the same velocity at 4... I remember it being in the 1100s out of a Sig P228.

That's still going to be a pretty soft load too from what I remember I don't like them that weak but it definitely ran the gun just fine back when I was doing ladders with TiteGroup. If I remember correctly I loaded a shitload at 4.2 + 4.3.... 124gn jacketed/enc. Then again with berries you might be getting the same velocity at 4... I remember it being in the 1100s out of a Sig P228.

I need 1006 FPS with a 124 grn bullet to make min power factor.
These were chrono'd at Mass State as 1106 fps and 1121 fps, (PF 137.1 and 139.0) out of my G34.
So, I'm 100 fps over minimum.

Passed GA Tier 2 BUG match equipment check, (only need 767 FPS) for that; sorry, I don't have the numbers from that match.

G17 makes 1100 ps +/- using my chronograph; hasn't been chrono'd in a match.

It's a nice pleasant round, makes power factor, and knocks down steel without issue.

Dear Lord - hope you gave your gun some Tylenol after that!

I stick with 4.8gr now. The recommended max. There was nothing wrong with the load per se. The primers were flowing some but not close to piercing (CCI400). The recoil was retarded though, even from my G34. Wish I had chrono'd them.

I loaded some 115s with 5.4gr of titegroup once. They were snappy 🤣

Ouch.

I have a bunch of factory 115 sitting it on the shelf. I've used it to test new guns before I go to my reloads. I have a PCC in 9mm that I had to break in with about 50 rounds of 115 before it would run right on my reloads.

I can definitely feel the difference between the factory 115 and my reloads; the 115 is snappier, more muzzle rise. I don't think I'd like it with 5.4.

But you, (and @drgrant) have me thinking; I might want to load a slightly hotter round for bowling pins.

4K rounds per caliber. That's a total of 3.5 calibers (1 rimfire, 2.5 centerfire) in commie MA before you need a permit from Da Man.

4K sound like some arbitrary number. You know, like 6 feet...

A 160 has little recoil and makes PF at 800fps.

A 160 has little recoil and makes PF at 800fps.

[laugh] I'd only be shooting those rocks if I had a can. I tend to stick to real life stuff, but that's probably a great training load, too, to have newbs shooting a
real gun with minimal recoil.

I loaded some 115s with 5.4gr of titegroup once. They were snappy 🤣

Dayum! I think highest I ever got was like 4.8 with 124s, on a ladder, but never shot them there again, I lost the damned bible but I dont remember it
scaling up well.

You're probably better off switching powder at that point, You should have chronoed em, I've noticed that titegroup doesn't scale well past a
certain point, you get extra snap and bang but the numbers don't go up. I ran into that with it on 45, it sucks on 45. It just makes the gun bark
more but the FPS doesn't go up much.

Power Pistol for 9mm is great for making stupid numbers without blowing the gun up, it's pretty safe, and pretty "linear" in how it scales. Plus you will get
people at the range going "WTF is that, .357 Sig?" It was also good for .45, if you had a 5in+ barrel.... I used to use that stuff to kill bowling pins, nowhere
near max and I was making 920+ fps out of a 5.5" barrel with 230 fmjs. I ended up switching to Unique though, because it worked better out of guns like my G21, etc, that
had shorter barrels.

[laugh] I'd only be shooting those rocks if I had a can. I tend to stick to real life stuff, but that's probably a great training load, too, to have newbs shooting a

Want soft ... shoot a 165g with 2.7g of N320. Its like a .22. Lol. Maybe gets 720fps.

I dont know what you mean by real life. Factory ammo?

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, I forgot how stinking funny this was....classic.
Really was good for the laughs. Save some for the others he said. People literally had years to figure their situations out.
I suppose now is a bad time to be hoarding up ammunition OP. [horse] I have bought 15,000 rounds of 556 in the last 3 days. It's still there to be had and at moderately reasonable prices compared to the 1.20$ per round that we are seeing on gunbroker now and .85-.90 cents per round at local shops. I had more than enough supply prior to COVID for any want I could have, but to those ill prepared for this I have a few things to say. You should have better prepared in the last 5-6 years when ammunition was at historical lows. You should have been better preparing for this year excluding COVID due to democratic nomination and the elections.
Now we're entering the election and it's only going to get worse from here. Even if Trump wins it isn't going back to normal any time immediately following that. That being said - I now have 15,000 more rounds of 556 for sale. Edit to add photo: Note the date is right before Super Tuesday.
Preparing For Super Tuesday.png

Last edited:
I suppose now is a bad time to be hoarding up ammunition OP. [horse] I have bought 15,000 rounds of 556 in the last 3 days. It's still there to be had and at moderately reasonable prices compared to the 1.20$ per round that we are seeing on gunbroker now and .85-.90 cents per round at local shops. I had more than enough supply prior to COVID for any want I could have, but to those ill prepared for this I have a few things to say. You should have better prepared in the last 5-6 years when ammunition was at historical lows. You should have been better preparing for this year excluding COVID due to democratic nomination and the elections.
Now we're entering the election and it's only going to get worse from here. Even if Trump wins it isn't going back to normal any time immediately following that. That being said - I have 15,000 rounds of 556 for sale.View attachment 394720
Jesus...even at non rape pricing, that sounds like about $6000 +... [shocked] [bow][thumbsup][cheers][banana].

Jesus...even at non rape pricing, that sounds like about $6000 +... [shocked] [bow][thumbsup][cheers][banana].
You weren't too far off the point. Ended up selling most of it off at standard rate at the beginning of COVID to all my local group of people who were largely poorly prepared due to the thinking this might actually be very serious at the time. I'm still sitting more than comfortably.

Dayum! I think highest I ever got was like 4.8 with 124s, on a ladder, but never shot them there again, I lost the damned bible but I dont remember it
scaling up well.

You're probably better off switching powder at that point, You should have chronoed em, I've noticed that titegroup doesn't scale well past a
certain point, you get extra snap and bang but the numbers don't go up. I ran into that with it on 45, it sucks on 45. It just makes the gun bark
more but the FPS doesn't go up much.

Power Pistol for 9mm is great for making stupid numbers without blowing the gun up, it's pretty safe, and pretty "linear" in how it scales. Plus you will get
people at the range going "WTF is that, .357 Sig?" It was also good for .45, if you had a 5in+ barrel.... I used to use that stuff to kill bowling pins, nowhere
near max and I was making 920+ fps out of a 5.5" barrel with 230 fmjs. I ended up switching to Unique though, because it worked better out of guns like my G21, etc, that
had shorter barrels.
Power Pistol makes nice numbers for 10mm too, like Buffalo Bore performance with 180 JHP's. Just shot some today with the Delta Elite.

I can beat that. In my MA house I had ammo in 3 different locations, so I didn't have a good handle on exactly what I had. When I moved all my ammo to my NH house, I found .22LR ammo that I had bought when I was shooting bullseye back in the 1970s, also .380ACP that I had loaded back then as well (I used to practice with my PPK/s weekly with that stuff). Everything is and was in sealed ammo cans, so no big deal. I bought ammo when it was on sale (Four Seasons), TSA for SV .22LR when my Wife and I were burning ~400 rds/range trip, etc. Other than 1 brick of subsonic .22LR I picked up at Shooters Outpost II, I don't think that I've bought any other ammo in at least 3 years. Of course, house-hunting in NH, back surgery and moving means that I rarely went shooting over the past 3 years too.

I know I'm late to the party, but I still have an unopened crate of 1440 rounds of 7.62X39 I bought in the late 80's.

You could probably get $4-500+ at the moment. :p

Sad, but probably true... not to mention all of the random “trade” offers you could get —what’s that story about that kid who kept trading up his paper clip and ended up with a yacht or mansion or something... imagine the possibilities...[cheers]

Want soft ... shoot a 165g with 2.7g of N320. Its like a .22. Lol. Maybe gets 720fps.

I dont know what you mean by real life. Factory ammo?
Yes, like a 124gn CMJ going 1100+ out of a Sig P228. Out of the thousands of 9mm i used to load, i think the only fluff loads were ladder tests i did with w231, and maybe some N320 ladders i did.

I will concede to loading a lot of fluff loads with Win WST in .45 230gr plated for pins. It was light recoiling and clean, those went about 780-800 fps out of my 5.5 caspian auto ord mutt gun. (For that gun, that load was glacial, lol ) I would often start a match off with those things and then graduated to the beef your stuff or keep the beefy stuff on tap for reloads, to get stubborn pins off the table.

Yes, like a 124gn CMJ going 1100+ out of a Sig P228. Out of the thousands of 9mm i used to load, i think the only fluff loads were ladder tests i did with w231, and maybe some N320 ladders i did.

I will concede to loading a lot of fluff loads with Win WST in .45 230gr plated for pins. It was light recoiling and clean, those went about 780-800 fps out of my 5.5 caspian auto ord mutt gun. (For that gun, that load was glacial, lol ) I would often start a match off with those things and then graduated to the beef your stuff or keep the beefy stuff on tap for reloads, to get stubborn pins off the table.

Those Power Pistol 10mm loads reach ~1300 fps with the 180's. Recoil seems reasonable to me in a 1911 or G20, but probably more than anyone would want for easy pin removal. However, there would be no such thing as stubborn pins- only frightened ones LOL.

In one of the classes that I took, the instructor suggested keeping 4,000 rounds for every caliber of gun in your collection.

In reading some of the posts here, I'm hearing that people are stockpiling 10, 20 and 30,000 rounds of ammo and up, and they're still buying more.

Just like the folks who descended upon the stores to clean out the paper towels, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, panic buying is great for you, but it prevents the rest of us from getting any. It also drives prices through the roof.

I usually buy my summer's supply of ammo in the spring, but because of the panic, I've not been able to get any.

Yes, you have the right to stockpile hundreds of thousands of rounds, but when you do this, you screw everyone else who is worried about the civil unrest situation, or having enough ammo to maintain qualification.

Just a thought.
Maintain WHAT qualification?

Back
Top Bottom