1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Beer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Blitz1, Dec 28, 2011.

1. daekken

daekken NES Member

I personally like Vortex better. I liked Aurora, too, but it seems a little more delicate. I found Vortex to be nice and juicy and it might be my favorite Spyglass offering so far.

nastynatural and CoastieRon like this.

2. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I drank a growler of each yesterday (Aurora and Vortex) and it's really close. But I agree the Vortex is juicier.

nastynatural likes this.
  3. nastynatural

nastynatural NES Life Member NES Member

657F59A6-6548-4C7B-8C48-0886D7D14E11.jpeg Vortex is very good. I wish they sold cans. Spyglass is right up there with Treehouse and Trillium.

4. daekken

daekken NES Member

The (somewhat) monthly dilemma of where to go on Friday. Have another day off. Going to sight in my new BCM upper and test out my new muzzle brakes/recoil spring on my AKs in the morning and then figure out where to go.

I think I'll end up at Spyglass at some point for a fill of Aurora and Vortex. They're really neck and neck in my book, but I feel each works better in a certain "mood."

In honor of St. Patrick's Day I'll buy my once a year bottle of Irish whiskey as well.
    Looks like most potential stops don't open until 4 PM, though, really prefer noonish so I can get lunch as well.

CoastieRon likes this.
  5. Soundwave

Soundwave

Hm I hadn't heard of spyglass before. I may need to swing by next time I'm visiting family north of Boston!

Just had an epic brewing Baptiste imperial stout that they randomly carry at the corner store 100 yards from my house lol delicious!

6. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Man. This was the first weekend I didn't get fill ups on purpose. I gave up beer for Lent (and carbs, and rum), so I'm stuck with vodka tonics.

7. Soundwave

Soundwave

Haha I've been drinking bourbon to cut carbs

CoastieRon likes this.
  8. daekken

daekken NES Member

I didn't have anything over the weekend since I had to be up early both days and I knew with the day off I'd be having some on the upcoming weekend. I've still not sat at Spyglass once, only ever fill ups. I'm three fills from a freebie at Kelsen but I don't feel like going there again, since I'll probably hit it every few weeks once USPSA season starts as it's on my drive home from one match site.

Doesn't look like Kettlehead's got anything especially intriguing on the menu at the moment, would need to be something enticing to merit the drive in the winter.

It does appear Liquid Therapy opens at noon, that could be an option. Parking looks crappy though. Call me a millennial or whatever, but I don't like having to battle for parking spots to use a meter and walk a mile.

9. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

I noticed myself lose some fat once I switched from drinking a beer or two a day to a brandy or glass of wine a day.

10. daekken

daekken NES Member

I'm strictly a Friday or Saturday indulger. About 66% of weekends I pick one day or the other (usually Friday) and have 1-3 pints over a few hours depending on several variables.

This reminds me a I got a chocolate maple stout home brewing kit as a gift and still haven't used it.

11. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Yeah, I was a getting to be a Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday growler indulger...... I packed more weight on than I ever had, and need to fix that. I usually do the no carb thing during Lent too....

12. kingfisher

kingfisher

I have plans to eat at Country Tavern and then head over to Spyglass to check it out for the first time. They're so close together, I may just walk rather than get back into my car. Spyglass doesn't usually have cans for sale, right?

13. daekken

daekken NES Member

There's also the cost factor, at least for me. A $12 growler once a week adds up to $624 a year plus tips. Craft beer is not cheap by any means.

Plus, I want it to keep its aura of "something special." I prefer having a nice fresh growler of something really delicious as a reward for a long week, or a celebration of some accomplishment, etc. I think if I had growlers four days a week I'd a.) go bankrupt and b.) it would become too mundane for me, and maybe lose a lot of its appeal.

Something special during the summer about mowing the lawn, busting my behind on chores and whatnot, and after all is said and done, firing up the grill and enjoying a burger and an IPA on the screen porch.

14. daekken

daekken NES Member

None currently, according to the site. They had Mosaic Summer the last time I was in (2 weeks ago), everything else was sold out. I think their 32oz growlers were $5 for the glass. Mine, for whatever reason, are unlabeled, whereas most have their logo. On the plus side, the unlabeled ones can be used at other breweries under NH law.

15. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

I drink with dinner and I cook with alcohol, but I think if you were to consume two to three 32oz growlers (or one to two 64oz growlers), you would equal my drinking of a drink a night.

16. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

It was just 1-32oz growler per night, but IPA is a caloric bomb LOL

C. Stockwell likes this.
  17. daekken

daekken NES Member

For the record, for me, it was 1-3 pints per week, not growlers. 1 US Pint = 1.33 standard drinks = 1.33 - 4 drinks per week, on the weeks that I do have a drink, which is about 66% of them.

That said, we're all adults, peoples' consumption habits are their own business, I don't look down on anyone for their choices if they are not harming others. I've only recently "gotten back into drinking" (which sounds horrible, but again I mean 1.33-4 per week at 66% rate = 3.88 to 11 drinks per month, and I'd say it's probably somewhere in the middle or roughly 7-8 a month). Over the last five years I've averaged 3-5 drinks per year at one point going over two years without drinking a single drink. College was a different story of course lol.

Soundwave likes this.
  18. kingfisher

kingfisher

19. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Someone did that a few years ago too.

20. kingfisher

kingfisher

Do you know how it worked out? Did he finish as planned?

CoastieRon likes this.
  21. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

22. daekken

daekken NES Member

Who's been to the Night Shift Everett tap room? Debating going there tomorrow after the range, but not if it's a cluster-f or hard to park, get in/out of, etc. The photos on their website look like a madhouse but I'm guessing those are Friday/Saturday nights when it's busy.

If it's nuts, I'll probably just go to Spyglass and get an Aurora and a Vortex depending on availability.

23. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Spyglass has 2 new beers for release today

LMK how they are, and I hope they still have some after Easter....

24. daekken

daekken NES Member

Welp, forget Night Shift I guess!
    Looks like I'll actually sit down there for once and give these a try, then decide on the fills. To be honest I've been craving that Aurora.

Spoiled for choice, really. Having a tough choice between several great options is the way it should be.

My only complaint is that I wish they opened at noon.

CoastieRon likes this.
  25. daekken

daekken NES Member

Highs and lows:
    Sunny on the way over, and warm enough I could finally put the window down. On 101A about 1.5 miles from the brewery "Eye of the Tiger" was ending and I said to myself, "I could really go for some Van Halen right now" and unbelievably, the synth intro to "Jump" started; I actually screamed out loud lol.

I got there at 4:06 and the line was halfway down the stairs. Absolutely nuts. I didn't bother sitting or getting a pour because by the time I go to the counter, I had been waiting 25 minutes. By the time I was filled and paid and back to the truck it was 32 minutes for just the fills.

I got one fill of Aurora and one of Double Agent, since I was more interested in that than Divergent. So, I should be able to give my report on that tonight or possibly tomorrow.

They really need to fix their system. I could tell the guy with glasses was getting kind of flustered. People were sitting at the bar for like 20 minutes without getting served.

I was served by the bald guy who used to have a beard; he's probably my favorite employee since he's chill and I could tell he really appreciated the tip for the fills.

ETA: some tool sitting at a table was complaining how it was "easier to get an AR15 in NH than a beer" and that pissed me off.

26. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

27. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

28. Lsgun1

Lsgun1

I'm going to night shift tonight, haven't found a can I've liked yet but figure it's something to do.

29. Lsgun1

Lsgun1

Plans changed, ended up at Idle Hands. Best thing they had was Four Seam but it's just ok at best.

30. daekken

daekken NES Member

20190315_211358.jpg

My verdict is good, but not to the same standard as Vortex or Aurora. I would still consider those 1a and 1b.
    The flavors just don't seem to be as big as Vortex, or as subtle and nuanced as Aurora.

CoastieRon likes this.