• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bedside Safe - what and why?

Until one night at 3a.m. the house alarm went off- BAM! Adrenaline dump. I didn't notice that my hand was shaking until I tried to work the buttons. I got it open on the THIRD try, probably 15-20 seconds to do it.

You have to imagine what it's like when an alarm is going off, which wakes up your baby who starts crying, your wife says "WHAT'S GOING ON?" and the alarm company calls you so your phone is ringing on top of all that. Then trying to shepard your other kids into the master bedroom, etc.

perfect example.

pic013.jpg

If any leo's were bold enough to ask me how the gun was stored, I tell them there was a trigger lock on it. If they ask to see it, they will see the trigger lock that I never use sitting beside my bed looking like I just whipped it off the gun when I needed it.

The more prudent action would be to invoke your right to remain silent, and thereafter your right to counsel. Talking, still less lying, to the police will not help you.

I am using the AMSEC WES149 in-wall safe which is easy and quick to access.
I choose to keep it secured right now because of our 3 small children ages 6 and under who wander into our bedroom.

Safe1.jpg

SAfe2.jpg

Nice setup Patric.

As to the rest of the posts, I agree, gun proof your kids. If you had to use your gun, I think the least of your worries would be how it was/wasn't stored.

Growing up (in a free state) my dad had loaded guns in a few spots and we never touched them, because we were brought up that way.

I use the bio gunvault with the finger buttons. I cut the side of the nightstand draw out. I pull the draw out, push the easy quick code, and the door instantly opens with a small light inside. I can do all this while laying in bed very quickly as I practice regularly.

Its funny because I just got my belt and holster for carry, and for some reason last night I kept waking up with the same nightmare that repeated throughout the night every time I fell back asleep... I kept dreaming that someone made their way into my home and I could not open my gunvault to get to my home defense weapon. In my dreams either I couldn't get the code to enter in right with all that was going through my head or I didn't make it to it in time. I woke each time in a nervous panic.

Currently my gunvault is not right next to my bed but in the walk in closet 5 stairs up and one open of a door in the master bedroom. I live in a townhouse also, sound travels well through it, I am a light sleeper and to get to where I am you basically need to get through 3 other rooms and about 2.3 flights of stairs. When I woke for the day I started thinking that I need to find another solution for something that is more readily accessible to me in case I'm woken to voices downstairs or any other unfamiliar noise.

My biggest challenge is that my girlfriend that lives with me hates that I have guns. She is uncomfortable around them and does not like them at all and I caught a lot of crap when I told her I will be carrying in the future. She keeps saying that she just doesn't want me to get hurt and I try to explain to her that is the whole point to carrying, to have a tool to protect myself and others around me if I find myself in a violent situation. She has never shot a gun or really been around them and associates guns with dangerous situations (dangerous because a gun is in the mix). I know she is scared of what she doesn't understand and am working on getting her to come to the range with me sometime so that I can have her shoot some and see that it is not dangerous with the proper training and practice. This complicates my finding a solution to quick and easy access to a defense firearm. Figuring out what to do with my handgun is first, then I will need to figure out a solution to the same problem when my Benelli Super Nova Tactical comes in...

Ugh, this states really complicates our safety... (Massachusetts).

I have one of these
secure-it-handgun-storage-safe-remington-gun.jpg

cabled to my bedpost that is unlocked and open with key in it and I sleep with my gun in one of these

djstudios_-_mattress_holster_3001001.jpg

you will have plenty of time to put the holster in the closet before you call the police to come collect the bad guys body.

Last edited:
yes

Storage of Firearms

MGL 140 Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

So, the way I read this, with a permit you are allowed to carry concealed until you get home. When you arrive at the house, you have to put a lock on your gun before entering the house to avoid technically being in violation of the MA gun storage law.

Do these idiot politicians ever read the laws they are voting on?? This is totally absurd!!!

EDIT: Like Alice, I often wonder which side of the looking-glass we are on.

So, the way I read this, with a permit you are allowed to carry concealed until you get home. When you arrive at the house, you have to put a lock on your gun before entering the house to avoid technically being in violation of the MA gun storage law.
How do you read it that way? There's an exception for carried or under the control of. If anything, it's unclear that sleeping isn't under the control of.

Thank for all the input! - and banter.

The GF recently asked, "so if someone means us harm, are you going to go grab your keys, run over to the box, unlock everything...?"

Please let us know when the full body safes are ready.
I already have a couple cat's here that I wouldn't mind throwing at them in the mean time.

just wondering.. what are the guys that use home defense shotguns doing? safe, trigger lock, hidden in plain sight?

Back
Top Bottom