• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bedside Safe - what and why?

daveyburt

NES Member
So, bedside safes are crossing my mind..
What are you all using and why do you like it or not?

Thx!

I use my brain and don't put a locking mechanism between myself and the defense of the lives of my family. But, I do live in a state where this is legal. And, I would recommend moving out of any state where this is not legal.

Mini Gunvault. Standard 4-button entry. If I need to access it... reach over the side of my bed... enter code... grip gun.

I use my brain and don't put a locking mechanism between myself and the defense of the lives of my family. But, I do live in a state where this is legal. And, I would recommend moving out of any state where this is not legal.

I thought you only have to lock up guns in your house when you are not at home. If I am wrong, please DON'T CORRECT ME -

+1. Especially to the moving out part. Unless of course you're capable of defending your family from inside a jail cell.

What are you saying "wow" to?

this is why i sleep naked.... BG comes in and he gets to see my ashy @$$ and scar as a distraction (1), throw my cat at him (2) while opening the safe to retreive the keys to the trigger lock to the gun under my pillow.

[rofl][rofl]

i've rehearsed this wearing a padded suit and it works...

I lock mine in a sturdy safe while I am not home, and leave it by my side unlocked while I am IN bed. I lock it up or put it on when I get out of bed.

The way I see it, even if you have kids, you can store it behind the headboard or somewhere out of sight while you are actually in bed, because they would have to climb over you to get to it. Of course you would have to make sure you dont leave it unattended.

This is what my wife and I are comfortable with, but everyone is different.

Keys are slow and you could drop them, combination locks are slow and you need to see to open them (which turning on a light gives your tactical advantage away), electronic locks can fail.

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my pistols. Its heavy, it locks, it rolls, it has separate heavy duty drawers for guns, ammo and supplies and has a small work top for cleaning etc.

and I guess it can store tools.

103811_rolling-tool-chest.jpg

ETA: may not be practical in the bedroom. ha.

Last edited:
this is why i sleep naked.... BG comes in and he gets to see my ashy @$$ and scar as a distraction (1), throw my cat at him (2) while opening the safe to retreive the keys to the trigger lock to the gun under my pillow.

[rofl][rofl]

Awesome!!!

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my pistols. Its heavy, it locks, it rolls, it has separate heavy duty drawers for guns, ammo and supplies and has a small work top for cleaning etc.

and I guess it can store tools.

103811_rolling-tool-chest.jpg

ETA: may not be practical in the bedroom. ha.

Interesting idea, but It may roll right out the front door while you are at work. However, you could easily find a way to anchor it

I have a four button gun vault also. I like it except for the very loud beeping noise every time you press a button to input the combo. The crook will know your going for your gun long before you get it into your hand. Anyone know if there is a way to shut off the key beep?

I'm still waiting for the locking under pillow safe to come along.

I have a four button Gunvault Delux. It's big enough to hold my home defense gun and my carry gun + extra mags for each. I did have one of the big biovaults, which were a lot easier to open in total darkness, but it shorted out on me just after the warranty expired.

A really good point that came up the last time a thread like this popped up is that a gun whether in a safe or on your night stand, won't do you any good if you are not aware that there is an intruder in the house. So a dog even a small dog, or an alarm is a good idea.

This isn't the best bedside safe but for $63.00 shipped on Amazon you can get a Sentry X055 with keypad and key override and it fits a few hand guns inside.

I use my brain and don't put a locking mechanism between myself and the defense of the lives of my family.

I agree with Jack and here is my take. A small vault (like the bio, 4 button, key) in the bedroom should satisfy any inquiry as to whether or not the gun was locked up prior to any event that may have caused the inquiry in the first place. I'll let you read between the lines.

[rofl][rofl]

Damn it, now I need another keyboard...how long does it take for coffee to dry?

I have a four button gun vault also. I like it except for the very loud beeping noise every time you press a button to input the combo. The crook will know your going for your gun long before you get it into your hand. Anyone know if there is a way to shut off the key beep?

I'm still waiting for the locking under pillow safe to come along.

Owners manual...you can turn that off...well at least you can on the model I have.

Back
Top Bottom