Bedside safe for house with toddlers

I like the Fort Knox handgun safe. Well made and use a easy simplex lock

My bedroom handgun safe is bolted high up on a shelf in the closet. Way too high for my little ones without a ladder or some serious climbing skills.

I like the Fort Knox handgun safe. Well made and use a easy simplex lock

My bedroom handgun safe is bolted high up on a shelf in the closet. Way too high for my little ones without a ladder or some serious climbing skills.

Fort Knox, a good small lockbox. Well made and very solid.

I just leave my entire pistol collection on the floor and ask them to help me clean up the mess. They haven't touched one yet

For sure, just leave them laying around and tell them they're toys. Or tell them to clean them up. They'll leave them alone and go back to pulling all the chemicals out of the cabinets and eating garbage out of the trash can.

I use the small Ft Knox lockbox though.https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/f...9Hxi_yIj8Dkv0kwJ3WpDwqsq-bVZpwch7oBoCTyvw_wcB

I have used a BARSKA Top Opening Biometric Fingerprint Safe for my bedside safe. I have literally opened/closed it twice a day for over three years without any issues. It has mounting holes to put some lag bolts to really make it unmovable. It will keep most people, big and small, from getting inside. Yes, I know, someone with a good crow bar can get in, but for your OP question, it works quite well. Long guns, a different type is required.

Amazon has them on sale today for $180 w/ free shipping. It is a pretty decent price. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

How does it get 1000 combinations from the 5 buttons? I think I'd have to use the full combination with kids around.

If your kids are smart enough to figure out the cryptographic flaw with a simplex lock they're probably smart enough to handle firearms safely.

The other concession is just put the gun in a bigger safe when you're not in the house. That's something people should do anyways, because even though those things are well built, a thief is just gonna laugh at that thing anyways when they rip it off of whatever furniture its mounted to and takes the whole thing.

-Mike

How does it get 1000 combinations from the 5 buttons? I think I'd have to use the full combination with kids around.

Well its order dependent and you can do double/simultaneous presses. You can get more than 1000 if you do half presses but that's jumping to the conclusion that you will be that dexterous in the middle of the night and under pressure.

I went with the 4 button key pad instead of the bio-metric version. Right now they are about $125 on Amazon.

With the added advantage that after a certain number of fail attempts it locks up and you have to use a key to open it at least mine did. One bit of advice though the kids seem to like pushing the buttons randomly because it makes a nice beeping sound and the light turns on every time they hit a button

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well its order dependent and you can do double/simultaneous presses. You can get more than 1000 if you do half presses but that's jumping to the conclusion that you will be that dexterous in the middle of the night and under pressure.

I think a double press could also be a challenge after an adrenaline dump.

I use the Gunvault SpeedVault Biometric version. It works perfect for me, two kids in the house. Both my wife and my fingerprints are stored, every finger. Slide my hand over and swipe... all you hear is the locking mechanism release.

Originally bought the keypad version but the quickness wasn't there. By the time I enter the code it would be useless.

With the added advantage that after a certain number of fail attempts it locks up and you have to use a key to open it at least mine did. One bit of advice though the kids seem to like pushing the buttons randomly because it makes a nice beeping sound and the light turns on every time they hit a button

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's what the word "NO" is for, he is 13 months now and understands the word.

- - - Updated - - -

Like the idea of the Biometric ones but most people say stay away from them.

If your house maintains the same relative humidity and temp, you should be OK. It's only an issue if your hands are dry or sweaty (from one end of the spectrum to another).

An interesting article on the Simplex, and why it is good for low security applications (like closing off "employee only" areas in stores, but not securing the store when closed) :

https://www.hackcanada.com/ice3/2600/2600_08-3_p6.txt

An interesting article on the Simplex, and why it is good for low security applications (like closing off "employee only" areas in stores, but not securing the store when closed) :

https://www.hackcanada.com/ice3/2600/2600_08-3_p6.txt

While there are a limited number of possible combinations, I have never heard of or personally seen someone crack an unknown combination even using this list. Not saying it's not possible, I just haven't seen it myself.

That is one concern that led to a deadbolt/backup key option on these.

IMG_3531.JPG

I've got a Fort Knox and it's awesome. I try to always open it without looking so I'm used to it in the dark. I use two buttons for one of my numbers and it's typically not a problem.

A trick I use is I reference my hand off the knob so I'm not one button off. I've had to get into it on a couple of "emergency" occasions where I was certainly amped up. It turned out to be my cat knocking over a flower pot, but it was nice to know I can get into it when I need to.

An idea I just had for people with young kids. You could leave it locked with one wrong button already pressed. Until the kids learn how to reset the buttons this will keep them from randomly hitting the correct combo. Obviously you'd have to always do this so you'd be trained to always reset the knob before entering the combo. Just a thought. Disclaimer: I don't have kids so I don't know how well this would actually work.

Back
Top Bottom