Becker College beefing up the security

http://www.telegram.com/article/20080928/NEWS/809280414/1116

WORCESTER— It could have been a Worcester State, Holy Cross, Clark or WPI student who was killed at an off-campus party last weekend.

Instead, it was a Becker College freshman who lost his life when he was stabbed through the heart after a group of uninvited men stormed a party inside a three-decker at 59 North Ashland St. at 2 a.m. Sept. 21. Another student received a non-life-threatening slash to the arm.

Andre J. Thompson, 19, of 56 Edgeworth St., Apt. 23, Worcester, was arrested Friday on assault charges in connection with a fight that led to the fatal stabbing. Police said he was being held on $75,000 cash bail and is scheduled for arraignment tomorrow in Worcester Central District Court.

Police have publicly revealed little about the investigation into the killing, but described the setting near where it occurred. It was a scene that is common to local and campus police departments: Dozens of students, some of them underage, were gathered at a party where alcohol was readily available.

“It could have been any one of our colleges,” Worcester State College Police Chief Rosemary F. Naughton said. “These seemingly random acts of violence are very, very difficult, even for city police.”

In light of the off-campus slaying of 19-year-old William L. Smith, college and campus police officials recently reviewed the steps they take to protect students on and off campus. Police said the suspected stabber and his entourage were not students.

Education about decision-making and alcohol awareness is a component of orientation classes, and campus police seek to deter crime by working with local police and having high visibility around campus. All along, campus police chiefs say, colleges have been maintaining ongoing dialogue with Worcester police about what trouble their students may be getting into off school grounds. Meanwhile, college officials and students have been brainstorming ways to strengthen public awareness about potential social dangers.

But could anything have been done to prevent Mr. Smith’s death? College police don’t have jurisdiction off campus, and Worcester police, as was the case last Sunday, often find themselves reacting to the crime and rushing to the scene where it took place.

“It’s almost impossible,” Chief Naughton said. “How do you prevent something like that? All we can do is try to educate, about personal awareness and safety awareness. Often, it’s about alcohol and drug use. Alcohol skews your common sense and people think they can take on the world. You may get into a confrontation and do something you normally wouldn’t do.”

Becker College Police Chief David J. Bousquet said he didn’t know who was or wasn’t drinking at the party on North Ashland Street, which was hosted by several Becker students.

He can say with certainty, however, that alcohol didn’t help matters.

“We know on college campuses that alcohol and drugs are prevalent, no matter where you go,” Chief Bousquet said. “These kids have parties on weekends, alcohol’s out there, certain alliances are made … You get an outsider there who’s not wanted, and things can escalate. When something happens real fast, you respond and it’s basically damage control.”

Becker College senior Samantha Surner, as student body president, has been working with her peers and college officials to bolster the college’s safety education efforts to include more mass e-mailings with safety tips, and lectures featuring upperclassmen speaking to freshmen and sophomores about how they have successfully handled social problems.

Long article, but I have been working with my class ( about 15 adult studens) to make people aware and educate them.

I talked a little about this incident but I also mentioned that they dont have to be at a party to be attacked. Becker College is in a very bad area and my class attends strictly at night as do many other students.

During class I gave people handouts that contained info about obtaining pepper spay, not only for walking to their cars but most of them live in Worcester or the surrounding area.

I feel that it is better to be prepared to protect yourself rather than be in trouble down the road.

Long article, but I have been working with my class ( about 15 adult studens) to make people aware and educate them.

I talked a little about this incident but I also mentioned that they dont have to be at a party to be attacked. Becker College is in a very bad area and my class attends strictly at night as do many other students.

During class I gave people handouts that contained info about obtaining pepper spay, not only for walking to their cars but most of them live in Worcester or the surrounding area.

I feel that it is better to be prepared to protect yourself rather than be in trouble down the road.
I'm surprised they let you do that. I mean when I went to Worcester State I don't think they even let their campus police carry OC let alone firearms. I could just imagine a college charging a student for possessing "ammo" (OC) and being charged with a felony. I'm not trying to say anything bad about what you did either, in fact I applaude it. We need more professors like yourself in the profession.

Wow, I lived 2 blocks from there when I was at WPI. That's a pretty decent neighborhood though it gets rougher as you go south. Scary stuff. Good job on trying to help your students protect themselves.

I'm surprised they let you do that. I mean when I went to Worcester State I don't think they even let their campus police carry OC let alone firearms. I could just imagine a college charging a student for possessing "ammo" (OC) and being charged with a felony. I'm not trying to say anything bad about what you did either, in fact I applaude it. We need more professors like yourself in the profession.

Well Im actually a student, not a professor.

Our security guards do carry now, I’m not sure when they actually started that, but I have a feeling it came shortly after another student was killed in May, but this student was shot not stabbed.

Becker College has no student parking lot and there is a lot of sketchy people around the area. Im only giving the people in my class the opportunity to know how to protect them selves, if they take advantage of that then good for them.

I work at both of the Becker campuses (heat and air conditioning) quite often and have seen firsthand how some of these parties can get out of hand. If I get a call to go there at night, you can rest assured that I'm carrying OC at a minimum. +1 to you Mrs. Magnum for helping your fellow classmates protect themselves also.[grin]

I ... have seen firsthand how some of these parties can get out of hand. If I get a call to go there at night, you can rest assured that I'm carrying OC

My dad once shared a story about how, in his younger days, he got tossed out of one of the female houses during a party on the Leicester campus. I didn't bother asking for too many details.

I live in Worcester, and I don't really like the part of town that Becker is in. I usually do my best to avoid it.

I went to college in Worcester and reading that brought it all back. It could have very easily have been me or one of my friends. We lived in an apartment on Merrick St. and had several of those ‘300 of our closest friends’ parties. Happily the worst that ever happened was someone stole the tap from one of the kegs but considering the neighborhood…

Let's see: Alcohol, a large party and the presence of NON-students at a student party. Yep, that's a recipe for a 911 call.

Or two.

Question: How is Becker College beefing up its security in any way enhancing the safety of its students at OFF-campus events?

Because there is no on campus parking and the campus is very spread out.

Have you been to the Becker College Worcester campus, half of its is in one area and the rest is spread out.

Just because this specific even occurred off campus, but in the vicinity of the school, does not mean that someone is safe walking to their car late a night after class.

It was a wake up call to the college and surrounding community

Last edited:
Let's see: Alcohol, a large party and the presence of NON-students at a student party. Yep, that's a recipe for a 911 call.

Or two.

every large college party is going to have lots of booze and lots of people that dont go to the school.

every large college party is going to have lots of booze and lots of people that dont go to the school.

Very true, and the way that the Worcester campus is set up there is no way to control non students from going on campus or to control students living in the area that throw the crazy parties.

In the 2 years that I have been attending Becker I have seen maybe 5 cops patrolling the area. The Worcester PD already has a lot to do so the students and college are working on making the area safer mostly by educating the masses

Back
Top Bottom