• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Beaver problems

More beaver problems:

Warren works to stay ahead of beavers

BREACHED DAM FLOODS HUMAN HABITATION

Warren works to stay ahead of beavers - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

fixing the problem requires a process. First the Board of Health must issue an emergency trapping permit so the beavers can be removed. Health Board Chairman Kenneth Lacey said Mr. Boudreau is working on the permit now.

Since state trapping laws prohibit the relocation of beavers, they must be killed, officials said. So the town needs a licensed trapper to do the job and funding to pay that person. Trapping season, when the beaver pelts would have had some value, ended in April and won't start again until November, so the trapper doesn't benefit much unless he is paid.

Just more victims of Ballot Question #1 of 1996:

Massachusetts Ban on Leghold Traps Initiative, Question 1 (1996) - Ballotpedia

attachment.php

I deal with problem beavers all the time, in fact, as recently as today. Traps are far more effective and humane than shooting. I can usually trap out a colony in a day or two using 330's. I'll use live traps outside of the season when they're prime and I'm very reluctant to trap them at all between April and October for a variety of reasons.

Yes, I do charge for the service, but then people are receiving the benefit of 35 years of beaver trapping experience. It is my experience, based on visiting hundreds of beaver damage sites, that I am usually the least expensive component of the problem. Most sites are less then $1000, but the costs from flood damage are often in the thousands (the typical cost of replacing a 15" corrugated steel culvert that carries water under the road is $35,000, give or take).
Oftentimes I find that if I was called in sooner then the damages and costs could have been substancially reduced. People either try to deal with problem beavers themselves or wait until the problem (and damages) get way out of hand.

In the right place, beavers are a huge benefit to wildlife. Unfortunately they are widely regarded as nothing more than expensive pests now, thanks to the animal rights industry and their trapping ban.

What is PAC and DADT?? I'm lost. I have not heard what happened to the beavers. The person is a friend of the wife. Most likely still there causing more problems

What is PAC and DADT?? I'm lost. I have not heard what happened to the beavers. The person is a friend of the wife. Most likely still there causing more problems

PAC is a rap music reference (beavers very appropriately do not like rap music) and DADT is a beaver repellent chemical that can be put in the water.

PM me, I may be able to take care of the problem for nothing...

PAC is a rap music reference (beavers very appropriately do not like rap music) and DADT is a beaver repellent chemical that can be put in the water.

DADT means what???

I figured for sure it was Don't Ask. Don't Tell

iow - if the landowner decided to take matters into their own hands, they shouldn't ask for permission first, nor should they tell anyone afterward.

My neighbor had to bring in a PAC agent last fall to take care of the beaver problem around our neighborhood. Beavers dammed up what's normally a 3' wide stream, and made a three-acre pond. It's back to a stream now.

I'd have taken care of the issue myself, but am not willing to become a 'prohibited person' over vermin.

Back
Top Bottom