• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Kit

1_Ultimate_Kit_open.jpg

Link Here
Another Bear Grylls/Gerber team up, whats your thoughts on the kit? Have everything youre going to need?

As far as tools, maybe. Wouldnt hurt to throw some water purifying tablets in or something of that nature.

Wouldn't his survival kit contain the number to the Hilton hotels 800 reservation number and a credit card?
Well, it comes with a bottle opener.

Fish hooks and sewing kit - really? But no sun screen? And wouldn't Bear want some skin moisturizer?

They should have put a damn 1 gallon zip lock bag in there... HELLO... WATER!!! All that other S**Ts great, but when you dehydrate yourself with that stupid saw thats going to break anyway, youll wish you had thought about water instead of all that cool gear. The buttons are a nice touch. LOL.

a black button and a white button, because mismatching your buttons while trying stay alive is deadly.

This just looks pretty idiotic.

Wait until you see the price tag... I am sure it is going to be just as idiotic.
Not only that, but when, exactly, do you require a "survival kit" that fits into a cargo pocket? If I were going to "some of the most hostile places in the world" I'd be devoting a whole lot more space to gear. And two BMF canteens and a good knife would be the start.

Haha yea what I was thinking, im going to want some way to collect water, I dont have a camera crew to hand me a poland spring bottle when I run out of breathe setting up my shelter. [rolleyes]

About the only kit like this I ever thought was worth the money was the Pocket Survial Pak by Adventure Medical Kits. It carried some high quality stuff for less than the cost of buying individually. It is not everything, but it was a good start to a basic kit. The quality of some of the stuff in Bear's is probably not up to the same standard and will probably cost more. If only for the cost of the multitool.

FWIW, I purchased the Basic Kit at Dicks Sporting Goods. After employee discount and score points, I got it for a few bucks, (retail is $19.99). I'll do a more detailed review with pics when I get into high-speed internet territory, but for now here's my advice: Save your money. For a few dollars more, you can put together a kit that is light-years better. Here's why:

The kit, while conveniently sized, has little in the way of useful items inside, (in a quality sense). The Mini ParaFrame knife is perhaps the worst knife Gerber has ever made in my opinion - probably why they're dumping them into the kits. Still, it's a blade and I suppose it's better than nothing - which basically sums up the rest of the items. The cotton ball is just that - a cotton ball shoved into the kit. May be nice on a dry day with dry tinder, but try it in the rain/damp. Good luck. The fire starter, is an homage to the excellent LightMyFire, but that's where it ends. Getting a spark off this thing was extremely difficult and on try number 5, I got spark, but the rod separated from the handle and fell off. The thread-thin copper snare wire is great if you're into catching field mice and if you have the patience to unwrap the 8" spool, which I think the Chinese wrapped that way to piss us off. The emergency cord - all 6-feet of it, is glorified white shoelace and the fishing line is waxed kite string. The emergency whistle is a flat piece of red plastic and blowing into it with full lungs, just barely got my dogs attention in the other room. The eight waterproof matches in the non-re-sealable bag work, but took a lot on the cardboard striker pad to get going. Again, in a light rain - good luck. Lastly, the Bear Grylls Priorities of Survival Guide included in the kit, is perfect for the stupid. The outer nylon bag is not indeed waterproof - it has a waterproof zipper. The bag itself leaks and the contents are only saved by the best part of the kit: an inner thick waterproof ziploc-type bag. That's a keeper...

Dicks Sporting Goods is contracted with Gerber to stock the Bear Grylls merchandise. I have to say, that Gen-2 of his fixed blade knife is pretty nice - though ditch the fire starter if it's the same as the one in the kit. The machete looks pretty interesting, but the rest of the wares offered thus far are simply re-badged Gerber products - some better than others, but all available at a lower price-point without the Bear Grylls blaze orange and black handles...I may pick up the machete when I get more ScorePoints, ($39.99 retail), but the rest of it so far is poo...I guess it could go under the cliche: "Something is better than nothing", but this stuff just barely makes that category...

I have about as much use for the Bear Grylls Survival kit and i do for Bear Grylls . He takes to many chances just to show off on TV . Many of the things he does for tv are plain Dangerous with litte gain. Just like his Survival Kit hes useless.

I have about as much use for the Bear Grylls Survival kit and i do for Bear Grylls . He takes to many chances just to show off on TV . Many of the things he does for tv are plain Dangerous with litte gain. Just like his Survival Kit hes useless.
I agree.

Dude, I think I put a better kit together when I was ten and I had my plastic Rambo knive and rocket launcher that I got from zares department store.

El thanks for posting. forget the bullshit!!! You ask a good question.
You want you personal kit to supply your needs so you can build a sustainable camp.
I don’t think Bear really uses this kit. He must endorse it for marketing etc.
This kit is not his style.

You need to build your own personal kit with respect to your own knowledge. Some folks might need a lot of items, others may need minimal items based on your comfort needs and knowledge.

Build your own 10 piece kit and start from there, and if you have the money get the best stuff. Forget the gimmic kits.

You need
1.4/6 inch Knife, carbon 1095
2.Container to boil/carry water
3.Cover/tarp for shelter
4.Para cord at least 100ft or more
5.Compass
6.Flash light /head lamp
7.Folding saw
8.Fire steel….Strike force or Light my Fire military steel
9.Bandana or some cotton cloth
10.Cargo pouch to carry your items

This is your possible pouch. You have to be able to make it with these basics. After you have developed your skills and confidence you can add comfort items as you want.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom