• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bead blasting a 1911

derrprecision.com

greg can take care of it

make sure you have someone that has a ceramic bead and not just aluminum oxide media. the coarse highly abrasive aluminum oxide or similar will leave a coarse finish that has cut in to the metal. this makes for a more corrosion resistant and scratch prone finish. if you go with a ceramic bead media that peens the surface and adds the nice matte finish without being prone to superficial scratches and will not leave a coarse surface that houses moisture and helps corrosion.

Is there anyplace that bead blasts a 1911 in mass, preferable in western mass.

We do it in house and we are in Ludlow MA give us a call or stop in.
John
413 579 1994

I had John bead blast a S&W 1911 I took in trade last year, it came out very nice. Be aware that you'll either need to strip it down yourself or pay John for the trouble, same goes for reassembly. If you're having the frame done as well then you'll also need to plan for polishing the feed ramp. I worked mine over with a dremel w/ polishing kit and some Flitz and it's super smooth again.

What kind of prep work should be done before bead blasting? My stainless 1911 frame has some light scratches, will the the bead blasting completely take them out or should sanding be done first?

Back
Top Bottom