Be careful with regional slang. . . . .

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Some people from up here, even the ones that consider themselves pretty conservative, seem to have a sneering contempt for anyone from "the south". Except for Florida, which is really only the south up north in the panhandle.

I have friends from LA, MS, AR, TN, TX, SC, and other states down south. They aren't the hicks that conceited northerners seem to think that they are, not at all. While those people make fun of southern accents, they should here what people in the south think about the way we talk.

One thing I will say for sure. In general, people from the south are a lot friendly and more welcoming of strangers than people up here.
People down here tell me all the time they love my accent!

fitzknny

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a kid , I used to go to New London Conn. For the summer( to get out of the (Boston)City, 1950's) . . . . all the kids there always wanted me to say Pissah ! They Loved it !!! . . . oh yeah, I taught them to smoke cigs and Hated the Yankee's . . . . good times .

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New England has some really localized names for our fish as well, as I found out while spending time in Wisconsin at school years ago. we know what kivvers are, and horned pout, togue, calico bass, landlocks and cusk as well. The rest of the country had no clue what I was talking about, so I translated for them to Midwestern names.
My favorite (from the AP Newswire port pricing report):
Pee Wee Dabs​
I.e., the smallest size of dabs.
Whatever a "dab" is.

One thing I will say for sure. In general, people from the south are a lot friendly and more welcoming of strangers than people up here.
Bull shit.
I still miss a colleague who moved from Greater Nashua (back) to Texas in the 90's.

He had a mixed marriage, and said that his wife just couldn't stand New England -
the bigots would smile at them to their faces, then stab them in the back.
It was less stressful to his wife in Texas,
because everyone let you know where they stood.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A British friend couldn't find the flashlights in a store so he found an employee and said he was looking for a torch. They went back and forth a few times, not understanding each other. The employee lady trying to help him was looking like she was ready to call security on him when he remembered here in the colonies we have some different words[laugh]

Early flashlights barely worked at all.

The batteries were extremely weak.

Proper usage involved depressing the ring for an instant to get a FLASH, walking a few feet, then another FLASH. It's surprising how well that works.

You'd be fortunate to get a few minutes at best of constant light.

Hence the FLASH-LIGHT.

Last edited:

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Let me get this straight. Your daughter, who lives in Missouri, married your 4th child.

(Don't shoot me, bro! - Could not resist)
Worse is today is his birthday. He's my oldest and youngest child. Talk about confusing.

It's funny you say that because everyone from outside of MA (including me) thinks MA people drive crazy...which is supported by insurance data.
Except there are probably 1/10th teh # of cars per capita and per square mile in KS. These types of stats are meaningless because it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. KS has more room and less drivers. Bring them here. What's their accident stats then? LOL

Whatever--I'm going to have a grinder/hoagie/sub/hero for lunch.
What about a Spuckie?

I think they should be called flip flips or flop flops. It's not like one makes a different sound than the other. What, does the right go flip and the left go flop?
We could fix that - making the heel of one fatter than the other to change the tone. OR just go back to calling them "thongs."

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Local slang works two ways.

I met a beautiful woman in Scotlamnd and after a bit of chat, she had to leave. She told me her address and said, "Why don't you come by and knock me up?"

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah, no kidding.
In UK a cigarette is "a fag".
But if you say "Give me a fag" in Boston....you could be totally surprised!

crispnipz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Except there are probably 1/10th teh # of cars per capita and per square mile in KS. These types of stats are meaningless because it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. KS has more room and less drivers. Bring them here. What's their accident stats then? LOL
Sorry to burst your bubble but if that were true, why is NYC only halfway down the list? Boston is dead-ass last...because the drivers here are nucking futs!

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Does NYC include cabs? Ever drive in KC? Outside of the spaghetti ramps that are so AssDOT it’s pretty wide and easy to get around. Versus a city that moves tiny streets so often you can be at the corner of Batterymarch and Batterymarch.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing about regional slang is that sometimes you don't even realize that terms are slang. I say "all set" a lot, and people outside of MA seem to get confused as to what I mean when I say it. For example:

Waitress: "Would you like to see a desert menu?"

Me: "I'm all set."

Waitress: "Um...what? All set for what? "

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Funny thing about regional slang is that sometimes you don't even realize that terms are slang. I say "all set" a lot, and people outside of MA seem to get confused as to what I mean when I say it. For example:

Waitress: "Would you like to see a desert menu?"

Me: "I'm all set."

Waitress: "Um...what? All set for what? "
right! [laugh] what's the matter with those people anyway?

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
a few others before me mentioned the word packy. i've never seen one word baffle folks not from around here so much as that. they have no clue, are too embarrassed to ask and just nod in agreement. too funny.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few others before me mentioned the word packy. i've never seen one word baffle folks not from around here so much as that.
(Speaking as someone "from away"), "spa" is wierder -
although "spa" probably doesn't get used nearly as much as "packy".

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
(Speaking as someone "from away"), "spa" is wierder -
although "spa" probably doesn't get used nearly as much as "packy".
you talking about a little corner store? yeah, I have seen it used a lot in somerville when I was a kid usually on stores owned by Italians. I assumed it was an itallian word. I dunno, haven't seen it in years.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was playing Cold Warrior on the border with East Germany in the '80s, we were reviewing our general defense plan with the reinforcing units, one of which was a British armo(u)red division.

They found our use of one common American football term to be quite hilarious. We had to change it to "battlefield handover", because apparently "handoff" means something else to them.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry to burst your bubble but if that were true, why is NYC only halfway down the list? Boston is dead-ass last...because the drivers here are nucking futs!
NYC is more that halfway down the list, but you're still ignoring traffic volume. Boston has stupid volume of cars for the roads. Worcester is busy but not THAT volume. There must be something in the water there.

Here's a pretty map showing 10 years of fatal accidents:

And here's another showing population density:

If you look real close, you might find some correlation.

More people = more cars
More cars = more accidents

Sometimes the answer isn't complicated.

crispnipz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NYC is more that halfway down the list, but you're still ignoring traffic volume.
I'm pretty sure NYC, and specifically Manhattan (i.e. New York County) has a higher traffic volume than Boston. Other cities such as LA have worse traffic rankings and yet are lower on the per-capita insurance claim list.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm pretty sure NYC, and specifically Manhattan (i.e. New York County) has a higher traffic volume than Boston. Other cities such as LA have worse traffic rankings and yet are lower on the per-capita insurance claim list.
Yup. You're right.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho has better traffic stats because the drivers are better, not because there's about 0.2% the volume of traffic in the northeast...

Top Bottom