• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Be careful what you buy

CrackPot

NES Member
I don't read all the classified all the time (who needs a flobert afterall) but occasionally see the newest listings before marking them as "read". People are openly advertising for sale rifles in MA that are assault weapons. I am not talking about Healey guidance crap but actual AWB as written in law, violation of MGL 140 131M assault weapons. Post 94 AKs. Post 94 AK, AR, Scorpion and equivalent pistols, etc.

Just because they got it from a dealer and will transfer it face to face, it does not make it legal to own. I hate to see fellow NESers get jammed up.

There are many dealers that will transfer assault weapons (again, legal definition, not political) either through ignorance or apathy. Many buyers are unaware of the risk and passing it on. Pictures of AWs that they own in the classified can't end well given that we know law enforcement reads the forum.

So be careful.

They could also always be traps...

Not to mention the unscrupulous sellers who list a Post-1994 AR as "Pre-Ban" with pre-ban features like collapsible stock, etc. because it predated the Healy clarification.

THAT IS NOT PRE-BAN!

I don't read all the classified all the time (who needs a flobert afterall) but occasionally see the newest listings before marking them as "read". People are openly advertising for sale rifles in MA that are assault weapons. I am not talking about Healey guidance crap but actual AWB as written in law, violation of MGL 140 131M assault weapons. Post 94 AKs. Post 94 AK, AR, Scorpion and equivalent pistols, etc.

Just because they got it from a dealer and will transfer it face to face, it does not make it legal to own. I hate to see fellow NESers get jammed up.

There are many dealers that will transfer assault weapons (again, legal definition, not political) either through ignorance or apathy. Many buyers are unaware of the risk and passing it on. Pictures of AWs that they own in the classified can't end well given that we know law enforcement reads the forum.

So be careful.

Do you think Healey will eventually seek to make an example of someone or just leave well enough alone, knowing that she might lose a court case and open up the floodgates?

i'm thinking, and hope i'm wrong, this will all be moot in another year or so when biden and his queen get busy on their campaign promises.

I nominate @TPNES to turn himself in to take the heat off everybody else.

Then everyone that paid his fully retarded prices and bought into his annoying rants in the classifieds has to smash their penis with a hammer so they can’t reproduce and make idiot children.

Supply and demand? Mmmmmm, kindly GFY.

I think you should always try and verify the “provenance” of any pre-94 ban gun. Easy to do with Colts, harder with some of the other AR variants and very hard with AKs. Given the high premium these pre-ban guns command in MA, I just expect a lot of unprincipled sellers to try and push questionable guns as being pre-ban, and it will only get worse as the premium they command goes up.

For ARs, just buy yourself a lower (or 80% lower if you’re willing to do a bit more work) and build yourself a compliant gun (complaint with the written law). AKs aren’t so easy, so I only deal with very reputable FFLs that I know personally.

I think you should always try and verify the “provenance” of any pre-94 ban gun. Easy to do with Colts, harder with some of the other AR variants and very hard with AKs. Given the high premium these pre-ban guns command in MA, I just expect a lot of unprincipled sellers to try and push questionable guns as being pre-ban, and it will only get worse as the premium they command goes up.

For ARs, just buy yourself a lower (or 80% lower if you’re willing to do a bit more work) and build yourself a compliant gun (complaint with the written law). AKs aren’t so easy, so I only deal with very reputable FFLs that I know personally.
Indeed.

Your best bet is to get a lower and build up your own gun.

AR's have so many options that unless it's a stock gun from the factory - you probably wont like what the previous guy did to it.

Of course, the trouble is buying a upper in this climate.

They are all sold out.

So be careful.

thanks for the awareness

As far as Her Healey goes, she will almost certainly start gaining ground with her edicts and push harder now that we know the entire US government is happy to fall in line with their Red handlers. Last week should be a massive heads up to everybody to be very careful from here on out, as @CrackPot suggested.

I agree that all of this may be a moot point in the near future. But sadly, we still have to play these games because of Mitt Romney and Maura

A little info on Bushmaster AR lowers:

Below L051000 - Assembled Pre-Ban Rifles and some pre-94 lowers.**
L051001-L063000 - Mixed Pre-Ban Assembled Rifles and Pre-Sept 94 Lowers (Call to verify)
L063001 and Up - Post-Ban

Mass subjects choose to live under those Orwellian laws. All perspective gun owners should research the laws for his location and do his own research regardless of where he lives.

Do you think Healey will eventually seek to make an example of someone or just leave well enough alone, knowing that she might lose a court case and open up the floodgates?
My post is not about Healey. I dont GAF about Healey as it relates to her inane "guidance" in 2016. My post is about people selling actual post 94 AKs, for example. Nice pretty pictures of models that are manufactured in the US from imported parts on new receivers. I have seen AR pistols, Scorpion pistols, etc all posted on NES classified. This is not about the see you next tuesday in the AG office.

My post is not about Healey. I dont GAF about Healey as it relates to her inane "guidance" in 2016. My post is about people selling actual post 94 AKs, for example. Nice pretty pictures of models that are manufactured in the US from imported parts on new receivers. I have seen AR pistols, Scorpion pistols, etc all posted on NES classified. This is not about the see you next tuesday in the AG office.

There are normal states here in New England which read the classifieds too. Provided the transfer process follows fed laws, the responsibility of legality or not is on the buyer.

My one and only attempt here at clarifying whether or not a mag was pre ban or not was met with trolling and shitbaggery in a non general forum, so I just tossed it at the dump. After that, I don't give a shit if it's illegal in your state-show me the money and I'll put it in the mail.

how many recent cases of people getting prosecuted under the AWB? anyone know? serious question, because i dont actually know.
Don’t know how many are prosecuted, but just reading the news there is someone charged with having an illegal “assault weapon” (MGL illegal, not Maura “enforcement notice” bull) at least once ever couple of weeks.

And I believe CrackPot was warning the buyers (not the sellers). For the AWB, it IS the buyer’s responsibility to be sure that a gun is not an MGL illegal assault weapon. That’s not true of a lot of the other MA gun restrictions were the onus is on the FFL to not sell an “unapproved” gun (e.g. anyone can own a brand new Glock, but a FFL can only sell one to LEO). If, for whatever reason (even a nuisance restraining order) a MA resident is found in possession of a truly illegal (again, not what Maura says but what MGL actually says) “assault weapon” they could be in for serious trouble, the least of which would be permanent loss of their LTC.

oh no doubt crackpot is doing a public service and warning people and rightfully so

im just curious how many people are being prosecuted for AWB violations, that are not related to other criminal offenses, like shooting up a neighborhood etc

Indeed.

Your best bet is to get a lower and build up your own gun.

AR's have so many options that unless it's a stock gun from the factory - you probably wont like what the previous guy did to it.

Of course, the trouble is buying a upper in this climate.

They are all sold out.

You gotta dig a little deeper than usual but they can be found, not the $45 Anderson stuff but the better brands are around in stock.

You gotta dig a little deeper than usual but they can be found, not the $45 Anderson stuff but the better brands are around in stock.

I am too much a perfectionist for that.

I want all my stuff to match and be built by the factory.

I would not want a FrankenAR.

If I was desperate, I'd make a dream lower at any cost, put together an upper just to hold me over, then wait for a better factory upper.

What’s so bad about a post94 Ak? Tons of wasr’s and Arsenal’s in the state. Even had the atf approve one for a SBR.....the horror

I am so glad I bought my rifles years ago....
I chuckle when I see rifles that were $900 new listed in the classifieds for $2500.
For that kind of money there are plenty of piston guns available NIB

What’s so bad about a post94 Ak? Tons of wasr’s and Arsenal’s in the state. Even had the atf approve one for a SBR.....the horror
He's talking about guns that have the wrong features on them like bayonet lugs flash hiders and folding stocks blah blah etcetera.

Also why would the ATF even care they can't even see the gun that you're submitting the SBR application for..... it's all just words on a page.

Thats said I think most people buying that kind of stuff just don't care anymore at this point. That doesn't magically make it legal.

Last edited:
oh no doubt crackpot is doing a public service and warning people and rightfully so

im just curious how many people are being prosecuted for AWB violations, that are not related to other criminal offenses, like shooting up a neighborhood etc
There's not that many paper only gun crimes prosecuted against MA LTC holders period, but they do happen. The most famous one was the joe carl pinned/blocked 10rd AR pistol. Some nipple head tried to prosecute one of his customers under AWB and he ended up paying for the guys defense in court. The accused was acquitted of the awb charge. I don't remember what kicked it off but it was probably a restraining order or something like that there are a lot of passive events that can expose you to legal scrutiny for things like AWB etc. All it takes is the wrong cops and prosecutors huffing some anti gun glue fumes.

Back
Top Bottom