• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Be careful buying oil filters

Sucks at the end of the video the guy says not to buy except direct from manufacturer because it may look shady otherwise.
Don't buy from ebay or Alibaba because the gov is watching?
Let us be honest here, if you do anything so little as pick your nose the gov is watching. We have already given them that.
So do what you do baby!

Forget that BB is watching. Just for a minute.

He's not potentially making a pressure cooker bomb.
He's not putting a bango-button in a Glock or cobbling together some sort of now-illegal bumpstock.

At worst, he's making a suppressor.

Honestly, ATF, state poe-lease, local cops, sheriff's office, etc. - WHO REALLY CARES???? I mean, the only law enforcement officer that MIGHT care - MAYBE - is the local fish&game guy. (Poaching.) Otherwise, just go home and chase some real criminals.

I'm safe. All my vehicles use cartridge filters.
All the more reason you should throw in a real one every once in a while...that way when you start your oil filter suppressor business it won’t look suspicious ;)

Forget that BB is watching. Just for a minute.

He's not potentially making a pressure cooker bomb.
He's not putting a bango-button in a Glock or cobbling together some sort of now-illegal bumpstock.

At worst, he's making a suppressor.

Honestly, ATF, state poe-lease, local cops, sheriff's office, etc. - WHO REALLY CARES???? I mean, the only law enforcement officer that MIGHT care - MAYBE - is the local fish&game guy. (Poaching.) Otherwise, just go home and chase some real criminals.
At worst, he’s committing tax evasion. THAT is the issue at the heart of NFA violations. Uncle Sam needs his cut.

At worst, he’s committing tax evasion. THAT is the issue at the heart of NFA violations. Uncle Sam needs his cut.
Not really, as evidenced by penalties way out of proportion to the offense of evading a $200 tax. Do persons who under report their tax liability by this amount (say,, forgetting a $1K 1099) face aggressive federal prosecution and a virtual certainty of prison time if convicted?

Last edited:
The NFA and associated tax has never been about the money. It has always been about restricting your rights as a free American. Remember that $200 in 1934 is about $4000 in today’s dollars.

Not really, as evidenced by penalties way out of proportion to the offense of evading a $200 tax. Do persons who underr eport their tax liability by this amount (say,, forgetting a $1K 1099) face aggressive federal prosecution and a virtual certainty of prison time if convicted?

Income tax, no. Other tax-stamp items (ie liquor), YES. 5 years/$10k for buying, selling, having an untaxed bottle of liquor.

Distilling while intending to defraud Uncle Sam of his tax money? Asset forfeiture. INCLUDING the land the distilling happened on.

Income tax, no. Other tax-stamp items (ie liquor), YES. 5 years/$10k for buying, selling, having an untaxed bottle of liquor.

Distilling while intending to defraud Uncle Sam of his tax money? Asset forfeiture. INCLUDING the land the distilling happened on.

The erroneous assumption with a liquor or cigarette tax avoidance is that this SINGLE bottle isn't the ONLY one you've done it to. Someone's not going to jam you up, most days, when you pay the tax on the 4,000 bottles in your truck but forget there's another under your seat. No one is going away for 5 years and $10K for that one bottle. (Or, let me say this: SHOULD THEY)

Now, if someone was IN THE BUSINESS OF MANUFACTURING AND SELLING ILLEGAL SUPRESSORS then we could talk about some hefty fine. Between now and then, it's still analogous to the income tax. It's a single individual paying a single tax once.

The NFA and associated tax has never been about the money. It has always been about restricting your rights as a free American. Remember that $200 in 1934 is about $4000 in today’s dollars.
Back in 1934, congress knew that it could not ban full autos, silencers, etc because of the 2A and opted for a prohibitive tax instead.

The erroneous assumption with a liquor or cigarette tax avoidance is that this SINGLE bottle isn't the ONLY one you've done it to. Someone's not going to jam you up, most days, when you pay the tax on the 4,000 bottles in your truck but forget there's another under your seat. No one is going away for 5 years and $10K for that one bottle. (Or, let me say this: SHOULD THEY)
True, but someone with a boatload of tax stamps will be in a metric s-load of trouble if they have a single NFA item without a stamp.

It's not about the tax; it's about the guns.

This is the ridiculousness of “constructive possession”.

there Is a substantial amount of work that needs to go into any of these fuel filters to make them into anything close to a supressor.
or, you own a rifle or a shotgun and a hacksaw.. you don’t have an unregistered aow/ sbr/ sbs. If under your kitchen sink you own cleaning product A, cleaning product c, and gasoline in your garage you do not have WMD X...

True, but someone with a boatload of tax stamps will be in a metric s-load of trouble if they have a single NFA item without a stamp.

It's not about the tax; it's about the guns.

Oh I agree. But that's not what the law says. It says pay $200. It doesn't say to petition the government for permission to buy said weapon. Nada. Pay $200. Pass Go. Land on Boardwalk. ;)

I've been thinking. And that's always dangerous.

A few years back the search term "mesothelioma cancer lawyer" was selling for $250-$500/click. A group of folks decided this was silly. So a bunch of folks just started clicking on these keywords, costing the law firms huge amounts of money.

I wonder if the same could be done for search terms that trigger ATF scrutiny? Mess with the numbers. Create an immense number of potential violators that overwhelms their efforts.

Personally I find this approach kind of wasteful in these profoundly weird times. How much is being spent? What is their success ratio? I wonder if anyone is measuring the effectiveness of this program and money spent?

Just WTF is going on when law enforcement shows up asking that you turn over your oil filters to them???

I've been thinking. And that's always dangerous.

A few years back the search term "mesothelioma cancer lawyer" was selling for $250-$500/click. A group of folks decided this was silly. So a bunch of folks just started clicking on these keywords, costing the law firms huge amounts of money.

I wonder if the same could be done for search terms that trigger ATF scrutiny? Mess with the numbers. Create an immense number of potential violators that overwhelms their efforts.

Personally I find this approach kind of wasteful in these profoundly weird times. How much is being spent? What is their success ratio? I wonder if anyone is measuring the effectiveness of this program and money spent?

Just WTF is going on when law enforcement shows up asking that you turn over your oil filters to them???
Not quite.

The search term did not cost big $$. What cost was the "click through" on the Meso Atty ads. Law firms willingly paid for the advertising and agreed to the rate in advance.

How exactly is your plan going to get the target to agree to pay for the search links or click throughs?

Not quite.

The search term did not cost big $$. What cost was the "click through" on the Meso Atty ads. Law firms willingly paid for the advertising and agreed to the rate in advance.

How exactly is your plan going to get the target to agree to pay for the search links or click throughs?

Rob, check what I said. The search term cost was $250-$500/click.

My approach is an analogy. Drive lots of useless clicks that weaken the data. It does cost them money ultimately because they have a larger number of leads to chase down. More doors to knock on and visit.

It's only an analogy...

:)

DUPE!

Back
Top Bottom