• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Be afraid of this range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone summarize the report? Not sure I know what I'm looking at here.

Click on the report numbers. For example: http://osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.violation_detail?id=311762207&citation_id=01001

Standard Cited:19100095 C01 Occupational noise exposure.

Or: http://osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.violation_detail?id=311762207&citation_id=01004

Standard Cited:19101025 D02 Lead.

In other words, workers at the range were exposed to noise and lead. Big surprise.
axe_to_grind.gif

Last edited:
According their website

Shooting doesn't get any better than this! Introducing the brand new, state-of-the-art indoor shooting range at Hoffman's Gun Center

You would think they would put in adequate ventilation, all infractions occurred last month it seems. Perhaps they are working the bugs out.

Been there many times, at the old and new location. Always seemed like a quality shop to me. I've never used the range, however.

I don't see what the problem is, shooting ranges produce two thing in great quantity, lead and noise, it's normal.

The only thing I can think of is maybe not enough ventilation, or the guy is making his employees clean out the bullet trap without protection.

Either way, I don't see why you couldn't have provided more information on why we should be afraid instead of a very general OSHA violation web page.

All the infractions have the same date. This isn't "some joint" abusing the rules for years on end. Either (as suggested) new equipment getting worked in or maybe even a couple of disgruntled employees trying to settle a score. Or as simple as the owner not realizing he had to lay some lettuce on the ATF inspector.

It was triggered by a complaint. Go figure... [shocked] It could have also been triggered by a member of the public and not just an employee.
The noise and lead levels may have been found in spots not part of the range. Ie; in the shop but the report at that link has insufficient detail to confirm that hypothesis.

Jut went to their website. The place actually looks pretty nice. If they went to some of the ranges I have been to over the years they would probably try and quarantine me just for being in them! [laugh]

... or maybe even a couple of disgruntled employees trying to settle a score...
[thinking]
He was not alone, he drove off in his own car, there is a warrant already out for another perp, and a third is suspected. I was there at 7AM on "cleanup" until 8PM that night, and of course we reopened Thursday morning(you cannot stop us)....
Paul
[hmmm]?

Jut went to their website. The place actually looks pretty nice. If they went to some of the ranges I have been to over the years they would probably try and quarantine me just for being in them! [laugh]

The store is very nice, and well stocked. I've picked up primers and reloading gear from them on multiple occasions, as it's only about a 15 minute drive from my flight school. Sometimes I go just to look at the shiny, new, reasonably priced guns that I can't get in MA.

This is a certain unnamed range on the Berlin Tpke in Central CT.

This is the tip of the iceberg. Several employees are friends of mine and have been fired for bringing up this information to the owner supposedly.

Not my point at all. Look who's OP for this thread and the post I quoted (not yours).

Yes, I was being flip.

Crush appeared to work there at the time and not now, so could easily be a disgruntled former employee.

Crush?

Noise: hearing protection cures that one but OSHA requires documented training, signage, and probably a health and safety plan.

Dust and lead:again they probably need a health and safety plan, training and such to deal with cleaning the range and replacing the air filters. They may need to do some monitoring and wear dust masks for certain tasks.

If they negotiate these fines correctly OSHA may allow up to 100% of the fine applied to corrective action, which is in my opinion a fair way to go for these types of infractions.

I would say its probably the cleanest I'v ever visited... The range is Brand New, a couple of years at that.

OSHA most likely visited because an employee complained...

maybe the boss wasn't buying respirators or enough ear plugs for his workers.

I'll shed a "little" light on the situation.
This has been an ongoing issue for sometime with this establishment.

Yes there was a complaint by someone who worked there.

Yes the person was terminated or quit after reporting to his employer having elevated lead levels during recent medical testing. There are some rumors that there were other issues, but I don't know first hand.

Yes OSHA was contacted. OSHA was contacted by the Doctor because we have this "mandated reporter" thing (I am also in the medical field) and we have to report things like child/elderly abuse and poisoning.

The reason for all the dates being the same is because that was the date of the inspection.

It is a brand new range, and if it really is having problems, I would guess the people that designed and built it need to get it straightened out.

Anything else is speculation at this point.

okay here

It's a shame that such a great store has come to this;

Yes I worked there, yes I'm disgruntled, yes the lead is in the store part of the building. These issues were brought to the owners months before the inspections and the employee(s) WERE fired shortly thereafter. For what reason, we can not be totally sure....but I do know the person first hand and will say no more.

Yes their store is nice and well stocked, yes workers there frequently sweep customers with stock guns and their personal weapons as well whilst "showing them".

This place is another example of quantity over quality. All the experienced and well paid employees have been let got to hire others for much less pay.
Welcome to Gunmart inc.

They have great prices and a lot of stuff; I refuse to shoot there based on lead not being filtered enough from the air and the fact that the owners refused to release my work records to me for a unrelated lawsuit and legal action was necessary to obtain them. There was no reason for their lack of action except to be difficult. I gave 2 weeks early last year and was dismissed at the end of my shift(not unheard of in many businesses).

A worker accidently shot himself there about 3-4 months ago. Leg wound through the top of the thigh to the knee. I actually know him and he was a former State Police instructor. A very nice guy and one of the more professional people ever to work there. I'd be curious to know how the owners dealt with this situation.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom